Andy Robertson

39 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

Robertson was motm for me again on Tuesday, Gilmour just behind him.

Aye, I've rewatched parts of the game again and that's difficult to argue with. Both were outstanding. Thought McGregor is also in the conversation.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

1.22 goals per game between the end of the 1998 World Cup and the appointment of Clarke. 1.47 since Clarke was appointed.

Breaking down the Clarke figures to pre-Euros and post-Euros, for Clarke's term before the euros, on average we'd score about 1.29 goals and concede 1.29 goals per game.

After the Euros, the figures are that we score 1.67 and concede 0.86 on average.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Incidentally, when we talk about people being on course for 100 caps, Billy Gilmour won his 18th Scotland cap on Tuesday night, and he just turned 22 last week. Kenny Dalglish and Andy Robertson were both 23 and a few months when they made it to that many.

Tbf Norway was the first competitive match he'd played for us in a year and he's still finding his place in the game. In 2021, it looked for all the world that he'd reach 100 caps, but I suppose that's the nature of football innit. 

I thought Scott McTominay stood out on Tuesday night and could be in the conversation with the players already mentioned. I haven't watched the game back so maybe I'll change my mind when I do that.

2 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

Breaking down the Clarke figures to pre-Euros and post-Euros, for Clarke's term before the euros, on average we'd score about 1.29 goals and concede 1.29 goals per game.

After the Euros, the figures are that we score 1.67 and concede 0.86 on average.

I think we've carried some luck to have conceded so few goals in the last half a dozen games or so. We have also been quite efficient in front of goal against Spain and Norway.

18 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Eh? John McGinn is only 28 and already has 56 caps.

Apologies if I'm misunderstanding your post.

I think he meant 40 additional caps.

Edited by Gordon EF

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

I thought Scott McTominay stood out on Tuesday night and could be in the conversation with the players already mentioned. I haven't watched the game back so maybe I'll change my mind when I do that.

41 caps in just over five years is really good going, and I think this "season" has been his most consistent for Scotland so hopefully has another 41 in him. 

Just looking at Fotmob's passing totals maybe Tierney was more influential than I remember in terms of controlling the game:

Tierney topped the passing stats with 72 in 78 minutes at 86%

for context:

Gilmour made 59 in 86 minutes at 88% and Robertson made 68 in 90 minutes at 74%. Most other players made 30 or 40 odd passes.

It's maybe unexpected but it's far from unusual for him to play the highest number of passes. A lot of play goes through him.

Edited by 2426255

2 hours ago, eez-eh said:

I’m struggling the process Callum McGregor being the oldest player in the team.

He's an incredible athlete who shows absolutely no signs of slowing down. 

I honestly would love to know what he eats on a daily basis. I remember Jermaine Defoe going vegan to prolong his career and I love the new image of a Scottish player being one who eats a shit-tonne of edamame beans rather than fish suppers.

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, deadasdillinger said:

He was absolutely tremendous again last night. He won't get the assists for the first two goals but obviously had a huge hand in setting them up. Some boy!

His delivery is outstanding. Having an equivalent in hickey/patterson on the right has helped him I think. We were always down the left now we can mix it up which gives robbo more space to get down the line.

On 22/06/2023 at 17:50, velo army said:

He's an incredible athlete who shows absolutely no signs of slowing down. 

I honestly would love to know what he eats on a daily basis. I remember Jermaine Defoe going vegan to prolong his career and I love the new image of a Scottish player being one who eats a shit-tonne of edamame beans rather than fish suppers.

All professional footballers in the UK eat a very healthy diet these days. It goes back to the 90s when Arsene Wenger came to the UK to manage Arsenal and was shocked to find the players hammering the fish suppers every Friday, going on drinking on a Tuesday night, nightclubs after champions league games abroad etc. He brought in dieticians and nutritionists and banned all the junk food and that influence has rubbed across the Scottish and English game. 

34 minutes ago, PrestersKTID said:

Will he beat dalglish’s caps record? 

hes 29 with 65 caps. Could get to 70 by end of the year if he plays all the games.

10 games a year generally. More if you make a tournament.

another 3 years without missing a game. It’s doable.

He strikes me as the type of player who will last into his early/mid 30s at a decent level.  A bit like Ashley Cole - he played his last games for Chelsea/England at 33, before going to Roma.

He could easily play 4 friendlies, 3+ Euro matches, then 6 NL games and be on 83 caps before turning 31.  He’d then need to last 2-3 seasons, potentially not even as first choice and come close.

He’s missed something like 10 games during Clarke’s reign for injuries, so he could have been even higher.

Hickey/Gilmour look like very good bets for 80/90/100+ caps.  McGinn, McTominay, and McGregor will all surely go north of 80.  If Tierney’s injury record improves, and his career is sustainable, he has time to hit 100.

It’s most pleasing how many players we’ll have concurrently on 50+.  In 2 years time, it could well be 7/8 players in the squad all past that mark.

Edited by HuttonDressedAsLahm