Berwick Rangers 23/24

Redcar

1 hour ago, NewtonBU said:

I may be wrong but to me the statement implies that player deals were already in place prior to the new chairman being appointed in an effort to deflect any blame however as someone has pointed out above there were players who agreed new deals on wages (which IMO are not sustainable at this level) after he came in. We certainly lost one of our top earners in Jamie McCormack who was quite vocal in the lucrative amounts he was being offered to sign. 

surely a club of this stature wasn’t pinning all their hopes of financial stability on a run in the Scottish as we’ve seen already that draw is a lottery (Tranent vs EK etc). 

unlike a small minority who will no doubt take pleasure in any big clubs demise I sincerely hope Berwick can stabilise and continue to be competitive. Personally I think they’ve been a great addition to the LL and always enjoy a trip down there to watch u take on Boness

all the best 🔵⚪🔵

The new Chairman inherited, and accepted the 3-year spending gamble. That would always have ended next June, unless we had either won the league, or gained big income from a juicy cup tie. (Either of those scenarios might have allowed those wage levels to carry on for a while).

So he carried on with those spending levels. 

All that has happened is that the new chair recognises the obvious - i.e. we can win feck all this season, so is cutting the losses early by trying to offload some high earners.

Going forward, income streams are much improved, and we should stay competitive in the Lowland League, whilst slowly paying off the debts incurred with this 3-year gamble. 

The team won't be as good on paper, but might actually be better on the pitch than the underachievers we've been watching this season. (Buchanan aside - he's top quality)

Edited by Redcar

4 hours ago, CowdenLoyal said:

Only one club in this league where Bucks will end up methinks. Be amazed if he didn't end up at £K.

In spite of my very first memory of visiting Berwick was seeing a brawl break out after full time as well as the many other scuffles that happened around that time, I wish you guys all the best. A brutally honest statement that could come from a number of clubs looking to get out this league.

Would he get a game at EK with their 26 man squad.

6 hours ago, berwick-the-unbeatable said:

It's fantastic that during these tough times, Cowdenbeath FC fans come together to remind me that I am absolutely living in your heads, completely free of any rental charges. I have to thank you all for your kindness and compassion, and for reminding me that I truly do keep you all tucked away in my back pocket. Thank you!

All that bravado last season when you won a few games and got up to mid table, and it was all built from plans on the back of a fag packet. 
Whoever thought Berwick could sign their way to the league title and play off win knows the square root of F all about Scottish football anyway.

What a shambles.

Almost feel responsible for this... 

Went to my 1st Berwick game in 2002 in the Hutchie/Wood days and Berwick were flying in Div2.

They got smashed 0-2 by a poor East Fife team in a crap game and none of us seem to have recovered 😂

Genuinely hope things settle down as everyone I met back then were brilliant. It doesn't mater what level you are playing, having your club is the most important thing.

All these part-time fans from Deeper Engerland blaming the Scottish Leagues for being so poor and completly missing the flaw in their arguments are pretty hilarious though!

Wish the best for berwick, the timing of this does seem a worry,  normally its worse when things reach breaking point early season rather than end but that does lean towards clubs ignoring issues that should have been delt with in the previous summer rather than clubs who are very early in recognizing their problems and dealing with them now rather than waiting 10 months.  I hope its the later 

All the best to Berwick on this one. Always the fans I feel sorry for the most in these situations. 
Berwick with a bit of History. Not like teams who have money pumped into them who have no history.

hopefully come out the other side 🤝

All the best to Berwick, I have good memories of my trips there. I also previously met your chairman, when I visited Tweedmouth Rangers and he was still involved there. I had a good, long, chat with him and we still stay in touch on Facebook. He seems a really good bloke to me so I hope he can manage to turn this situation around.

On 25/09/2023 at 16:43, Redcar said:

The new Chairman inherited, and accepted the 3-year spending gamble. That would always have ended next June, unless we had either won the league, or gained big income from a juicy cup tie. (Either of those scenarios might have allowed those wage levels to carry on for a while).

So he carried on with those spending levels. 

All that has happened is that the new chair recognises the obvious - i.e. we can win feck all this season, so is cutting the losses early by trying to offload some high earners.

Going forward, income streams are much improved, and we should stay competitive in the Lowland League, whilst slowly paying off the debts incurred with this 3-year gamble. 

The team won't be as good on paper, but might actually be better on the pitch than the underachievers we've been watching this season. (Buchanan aside - he's top quality)

I’d love to know what these debts are, I think the new chairman started with 120k in the bank in Jan 2023 and no bills outstanding.  

Remember your mates left the club on the brink of insolvency in 2020, it was far far worse then than it is now.  

Of the 7 players up for sale, only Travis and Antell were tied up before Jan 2020.  

McCormack was signed as was Oconnor on big money pre-season, a few others on lesser money.  You plan for a season not two months.  Why sign them if this was in the pipeline. 

Berwick will struggle to attract players now the way this has been handled.  Players even the ones that are left are fuming. Bad news has spread and people in the game can’t get their head around this.   

So can someone enlighten the southerner.

The Club finances are down the crapper, the players that were actually any good told, thanks but no thanks, the 3 year plan has followed the club finances down the crapper

SO what now, have we now resigned ourselves to lowland league existence permanently, as long as the 11 players on the pitch are cheap, so much the better.

Obviously we're  not going to be challenging this year, so what of next year, and as mentioned above, even when there is some cash to splash, such is the toxic nature of the way this was handled we'd be lucky to sign stevie wonder !!!

I see the Berwick lottery has started, but what is the plan to make me part with my hard earned ?? ................ well, earned!!!!

21 hours ago, Boardroom Shuffler RIP said:

I’d love to know what these debts are, I think the new chairman started with 120k in the bank in Jan 2023 and no bills outstanding.  

Remember your mates left the club on the brink of insolvency in 2020, it was far far worse then than it is now.

The previous Chairman took on the job with £76k in the bank in January 2020, no loans, no debts and far, far less ongoing commitments and no contract obligations beyond the end of that season. What followed was a clever campaign to convince fans that the club was going under and they had to put their hands in their pockets to keep it afloat. The current Chairman inherited so many contracted players that he was on a hiding to nothing from the outset - it was always going to be unsustainable and only a matter of time before it reached the cliff edge.

Things seem to spiralling out of control for some Berwick fans. Perhaps I'm missing something, though the position seems reasonably clear to me. I don't get why some fans want us to continue spending beyond our means with no chance of any reward this season. 

It will piss off the players, but their feeble performances have brought this on, and offloading the higher paid would save the club tens of thousands of pounds. 

Nothing has been said about those who aren't on the 'available' list. Good players, such as Ferguson, McCormack and Barr and promising players such as Graham, McKay and Cummings. The club could do with signing them up for next season, now. (I don't accept that 'the way this has been handled' makes Berwick Rangers somehow toxic and a no-go area for decent players. Finances, as usual, will govern who signs).

Meanwhile, the Facebook fans page is closing down, past critics are returning to any forum they can find to unleash some bile, opposition fans are laughing their tits off at us and there must be optimistic grins at Linlithgow Rose. We play them Saturday and team selection will be very interesting, as will the demeanour of whoever gets a game.

Deep joy. 

3 hours ago, Redcar said:

Things seem to spiralling out of control for some Berwick fans. Perhaps I'm missing something, though the position seems reasonably clear to me. I don't get why some fans want us to continue spending beyond our means with no chance of any reward this season. 

It will piss off the players, but their feeble performances have brought this on, and offloading the higher paid would save the club tens of thousands of pounds. 

Nothing has been said about those who aren't on the 'available' list. Good players, such as Ferguson, McCormack and Barr and promising players such as Graham, McKay and Cummings. The club could do with signing them up for next season, now. (I don't accept that 'the way this has been handled' makes Berwick Rangers somehow toxic and a no-go area for decent players. Finances, as usual, will govern who signs).

Meanwhile, the Facebook fans page is closing down, past critics are returning to any forum they can find to unleash some bile, opposition fans are laughing their tits off at us and there must be optimistic grins at Linlithgow Rose. We play them Saturday and team selection will be very interesting, as will the demeanour of whoever gets a game.

Deep joy. 

As far as the game at Linlithgow, you may get a pleasant surprise.

The players who have been asked to find new clubs will surely have to mostly play if Berwick want them to be attractive to another team, then enable Berwick to get their salary off the books.  

Effectively they might be playing for a new job (although Berwick would have to presumably honour their contract if no one wants them), so the under performing ones could up their game. Maybe no real consolation as it will only be temporary if they move on shortly.

Linlithgow will be really difficult, they are licking their wounds a bit after getting pumped out the Scottish Cup by the minnows from Cowdenbeath. 😉

On 27/09/2023 at 19:06, berwicksfinest said:

SO what now, have we now resigned ourselves to lowland league existence permanently, as long as the 11 players on the pitch are cheap, so much the better.

Not 'permanently', there's the EOS Premier waiting and ready....

(Torn between feeling sorry for the decent Berwick fans at the shambles, and having a nostalgic guffaw at berwick-the-unsustainable. Probably just do both.)