Lowland League predictions 23/24

Sparticus

I watched a very good East Kilbride side today which gave me a lot of confidence for the season ahead,  another couple of signings, hopefully goalscorers and we'll be a really good team, I predicted us to come 4th last season, we were 6th, but for 23/24 I think we'll be definitely pushing for top spot.

1. East Kilbride 

2. Tranent 

3. Cowdenbeath 

11 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

Former EoSFL sides Gala, Gretna Ed Uni,Uni of Stirling and Stollers will be the haters gonnae hate choices to go down 

I just hope every team can fulfil their fixtures :whistle

I’m not sure why any team wouldn’t fulfil their fixtures. Anyway here is my tuppence worth.

1. Tranent

2. EK 

3. Cowdenbeath

4. Berwick 

15. Gretna

16. Edinburgh Uni

Perm the rest for the spaces in between.

Edited by Pyramid Watcher

11 hours ago, Cowdenleith said:

What’s with a lot of people tipping Cowdenbeath to be near the top? Stop it, not comfortable. 🤣

Don’t know how folk can make predictions this early, maybe with EK or Tranent but not really with anyone else.

On 23/06/2023 at 22:43, CowdenMiners1204 said:

Niyah had good returns for the Shire considering he arrived in February! Certainly the most threatening player when we played yous in March, but, he didn't have too much support!

Definitely would have taken him here!

Absolutely, he scored 7 in 10 for us and cant complain with that signing.

The others on the other hand were nowhere near as effective, and key players who were having a pretty poor season (Connelly until after the 5-0 game at your ground just one to mention) started to turn in much better performances.

For what it's worth, my predictions are as follows:-

1. Celtic B

2. East Kilbride

3. Tranent

4. Linlithgow Rose

5. Berwick Rangers

6. Albion Rovers

7. Stirling Uni

8. Bo'ness United

9. Civil Service Strollers

10. Hearts B

11. Cowdenbeath

12. Caledonian Braves

13. East Stirlingshire

14. Broomhill

15. Gretna 2008

16. Cumbernauld Colts

17. Gala Fairydean Rovers 

18. Edinburgh Uni

Going forward, EK to beat Brechin City in Tier 5 play-off, and then onto beat Elgin City (Club 42).

As far fetched as it gets, but it's my best guess!

1 hour ago, Bundesliga Boy said:

For what it's worth, my predictions are as follows:-

1. Celtic B

2. East Kilbride

3. Tranent

4. Linlithgow Rose

5. Berwick Rangers

6. Albion Rovers

7. Stirling Uni

8. Bo'ness United

9. Civil Service Strollers

10. Hearts B

11. Cowdenbeath

12. Caledonian Braves

13. East Stirlingshire

14. Broomhill

15. Gretna 2008

16. Cumbernauld Colts

17. Gala Fairydean Rovers 

18. Edinburgh Uni

Going forward, EK to beat Brechin City in Tier 5 play-off, and then onto beat Elgin City (Club 42).

As far fetched as it gets, but it's my best guess!

I would be willing to bet a considerable amount of money that Gala will be nowhere near the bottom of the league, I expect them to be top 7.

19 hours ago, Pyramid Watcher said:

I would be willing to bet a considerable amount of money that Gala will be nowhere near the bottom of the league, I expect them to be top 7.

I'd be very surprised if they were top 7, but you may well be right, but then again, you may not be.  That's the beauty of this thread don't you think......that its ok to have different opinions.

Perhaps instead of singling out one very small part of someone else's 18 team prediction, maybe you too could be brave enough like many others here to post a full predictions list (with or without the B's) rather than just a top 4 and bottom 2 as noted above......and then we'd all be in no doubt as to where you believe each team will finish.

19 hours ago, Spyro said:

I would say the same with Edinburgh Uni as well. Depending on their intake, it could be a totally different squad and they have had their moments of being a really solid team at this level in the past 

I was thinking similar but after checking the pervious finishes for the past 6  seasons, Edinburgh Uni were finishing 11 out of 16 but in the last 3 seasons finished in the bottom 3.

15/16 they finished an admirable 6th out of 15 teams then the next 3 seasons finished 11th and then last 3 seasons finishing in the bottom 3.  

Suppose the standard of the Lowland is becoming stronger each year so last few seasons is really showing where Edinburgh Uni are or eventually be, (unless they change), relegated and even if they survive, any team coming up from the EOSFL or the WOSFL won’t be considered as relegation fodder making it harder for the likes of Edi Uni and other team to be far from the bottom consistently 

Edited by KickaBaw

2 hours ago, KickaBaw said:

Suppose the standard of the Lowland is becoming stronger each year so last few seasons is really showing where Edinburgh Uni are or eventually be, (unless they change), relegated and even if they survive, any team coming up from the EOSFL or the WOSFL won’t be considered as relegation fodder making it harder for the likes of Edi Uni and other team to be far from the bottom consistently 

Definitely. I believe their 'true level' would be around EoS Div 1(ish), beside Heriot Watt but I still think they are better than a few teams still in the LL at the moment so it will all depend on when they EVENTUALLY fall through the LL trapdoor.

On 29/06/2023 at 18:20, Spyro said:

Definitely. I believe their 'true level' would be around EoS Div 1(ish), beside Heriot Watt but I still think they are better than a few teams still in the LL at the moment so it will all depend on when they EVENTUALLY fall through the LL trapdoor.

I’m surprised by that. Lower table teams in the Lowland League (not counting Gretna, Edinburgh Uni and relegated teams) have proven the last few seasons, that they are better than several EOS Premier teams. If Edinburgh Uni stay at the same level that they have been performing on, they will soon be relegated. 

On Scotscores, East Stirlingshire is the third lowest rated Lowland League side, and their ranking still puts them as a top team in the EOS Premier. 

9 minutes ago, lowenan said:

I’m surprised by that. Lower table teams in the Lowland League (not counting Gretna, Edinburgh Uni and relegated teams) have proven the last few seasons, that they are better than several EOS Premier teams. If Edinburgh Uni stay at the same level that they have been performing on, they will soon be relegated. 

On Scotscores, East Stirlingshire is the third lowest rated Lowland League side, and their ranking still puts them as a top team in the EOS Premier. 

You have to account for the fact 5 teams have come up and 2 right through the Lowland League from the EOS though.

11 minutes ago, lowenan said:

If you want to go by those rankings.

Edinburgh Uni 2420pts

Lowest points tally of a EoS Premier team 2451

And would have them bottom half of EoS First.

I don't think anyone would have them falling like a stone like VoL or Hawick. Pre-LL Edinburgh Uni could be a decent EoS Premier by the standard of the time. But that basically puts them in a modern day EoS First Division team. That might have a good season and end up in the EoS Premier or a bad one and end up in the Second.