Your clubs worst ever shirt sponsor?

The purpose of a professional football club is ultimately to make people feel proud to be associated with it.

Winning games of football is the main and most obvious way of doing that and not employing David Goodwillie obviously helps, but there are lots of other things that make a difference. Which is why people care about whether their clubs new home strip looks classy and is supplied by a sufficiently prestigious brand

One sure way to mess this up is by sending the players out to represent the club with a embarrassing shirt sponsor emblazoned across their chest

I can't speak for all Hearts Fans but I reckon I speak for many when I identify Wonga as the worst I can remember

Heart Of Midlothian Home football shirt 2011 - 2012. Sponsored by Wonga

That was pretty grim but what's the worst there's been elsewhere?

dundee-away-football-shirt-2005-2006-s_919_1.thumb.jpg.e9a755dadd34d856f51c833792f53d46.jpg

Shite strip manufacturer (I'm sure it was Peter and Jimmy Marr's company) terrible cheap shite material. The crap badge and Forfar Roof Truss won a raffle which cost £400 a ticket I think to sponsor us for the season.

Just gantin' all round. 

4 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

dundee-away-football-shirt-2005-2006-s_919_1.thumb.jpg.e9a755dadd34d856f51c833792f53d46.jpg

Shite strip manufacturer (I'm sure it was Peter and Jimmy Marr's company) terrible cheap shite material. The crap badge and Forfar Roof Truss won a raffle which cost £400 a ticket I think to sponsor us for the season.

Just gantin' all round. 

Thought Xara made some really decent tops. Our tops in 2000/01 were cracking quality.

Just now, djchapsticks said:

What year's that from?!

That looks like something you'd have seen in a market stall in Marmaris back in 1998.

2002-2003. The guy who fronted the Jsearch company was a Walter Mitty chancer with big claims about how rich he was and how much he'd invest in the club. I think he went bust about two thirds of the way through the season. 

50 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

Just gantin' all round. 

At first I thought "what's wrong with that?" and then I realised that it was a Dundee strip and not a Forfar one and it's place on this thread was more than validated

41 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

We're not interested in the best on this thread. This is for "oh my god what were they thinking?" and "thankfully that didn't last too long" stories

Sorry about that. I'll go and self punish myself for a few minutes.

From memory, St Mirren once opened up the primary shirt sponsor to a ‘raffle’ of sorts with businesses submitting entries. The winner would be pulled from a hat. Again, from hazy memory, the winner was something like ‘Wee Bobby’s 24hr Local Convenience Store and El Cheapo Liquor Emporium’… I paraphrase. Another business then made them an offer they couldn’t refuse and were bought out. I think a car dealership may well have made the offer. No-one quote me on this, I may have imagined it all.

SkyView Capital was another weird one. ‘who da’ fcuk?’ was the reaction to that one.

Edited by pozbaird

40 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

SkyView Capital was another weird one. ‘who da’ fcuk?’ was the reaction to that one.

Basically professional asset strippers based out in California with no UK presence whatsoever, a truly bizarre one.

Much like CETCO who were (and still are) an industrial/construction industry water and mineral treatment firm based out of Chicago. They do work in the UK now but had zero presence back in 1999 when they became our shirt sponsors for one of our most exciting seasons ever.

Edited by djchapsticks

I would agree with 'Team Recruitment' for Aberdeen.

It looked bad, on some already uninspiring kits, but I also associate them with being our shirt sponsor during a broadly depressing time to support us. They were still our shirt sponsor in 13/14 when we won the League Cup, but that is their only saving grace.

I visited the Classic Football Shirts pop-up in Glasgow recently, and they had heaps of our Team Recruitment shirts in stock. All I could think about when looking through them was the amount of players in that era that I genuinely loathed watching play for us. 

1 hour ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

A big fucking carrot. Close the thread.

Square Deal Motors on that horrible white panel was worse. Clarke EPOS too for sheer dodginess

ETA, the fucking nick of this

image.jpeg.875a2b1a91557e9d9b1d2793326e349c.jpeg

Edited by Bairnardo