#Barclays 23/24

Cheese

What a sad state of affairs we have here. Spurs can go and f**k themselves.

Also no chance of West Ham pulling off an upset this weekend.

1 hour ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

This weekend will provide a compelling title showdown for the Premier League.

In fairness, Man City have a habit of looking like they're going to chuck it on the last day. It wouldn't surprise me to see West Ham go in 2-0 up at half time. 

The Arsenal game is exclusively on TNT as well, and it would be incredibly funny for Sky to miss out on showing the title-winning game. 

A lot of people saying spurs had a good season, but i would argue that being top, unbeaten after 10 games, record breaking start and finishing outside the champions league places is pretty rubbish.

12 minutes ago, buchan30 said:

A lot of people saying spurs had a good season, but i would argue that being top, unbeaten after 10 games, record breaking start and finishing outside the champions league places is pretty rubbish.

That’s partly recency bias, there were good and bad bits but the good bits seem a long time ago. 

Chelsea’s season is factually a bit worse, especially in terms of value for money, but they’ll at least feel they’ve got some momentum.

Spurs can be less confident that the worst is behind them

2 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

That’s partly recency bias, there were good and bad bits but the good bits seem a long time ago. 

Chelsea’s season is factually a bit worse, especially in terms of value for money, but they’ll at least feel they’ve got some momentum.

Spurs can be less confident that the worst is behind them

Yeah, they started the season well, but i think given that start, 5th can be classed as a bit of a disappointment. Although, take nothing away from Villa, they have been fantastic and have a really good manager. Chelsea seemed destined to finish 10th no matter what they done this season, but the last few weeks, something seems to have clicked with them and they seem to have turned a corner. 

15 hours ago, The Master said:

The Arsenal game is exclusively on TNT as well, and it would be incredibly funny for Sky to miss out on showing the title-winning game

I didn't realise that - is that new for this year? In the past Sky had exclusive rights for the final day. 

1 hour ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

I didn't realise that - is that new for this year? In the past Sky had exclusive rights for the final day. 

Any broadcaster holding one of the weekend packages (so Sky and TNT, but not Amazon) can show a game or games on the final day. To understand why TNT have ended up with Arsenal, we need to dive into how the rights work. 

There’s three things that influence what (weekend) games are shown, and by which broadcaster: pick order (1st, 2nd, 3rd etc), control of the pick order (I’ll come back to this) and quotas (each weekend pack requires each team to be shown at least once, and no more than six times). 

Control of the pick order comes from not all picks being in the same package - they’re all mixed up to try and create some balance (so 1st picks are spread across a couple of packages, 2nd picks spread across two or three etc). TNT have a package that is majority 2nd picks. But Sky also have packages that allow them 2nd picks. So after Sky makes their 1st pick, who gets first dibs on a 2nd pick? The answer is TNT, for no reason other than their package has more second picks. If TNT don't want a second pick, Sky get to make one instead. 

And so we have the final day. TNT retained a 2nd pick, so after Sky took Man City v West Ham, TNT were able to take Arsenal v Everton. 

Last season, Sky showed Everton v Bournemouth and Leicester v West Ham, with Leeds v Spurs on BT/TNT. Given the arithmetic, the Everton and Leicester games were the obvious first two picks - Everton had survival in their own hands, but if they had slipped up Leicester were best-placed to capitalised thanks to their superior goal difference.

The reason Sky ended up with both those games is because BT had maxed-out their quota of Everton for the season. So technically the pick order was: 1 -Leicester v West Ham; 2 - Leeds v Spurs; 3 - Everton v Bournemouth, even though the actual appeal of the games was Everton > Leicester > Leeds. 

TNT didn't make any such mistake this season - so they could hoover up whoever was 2nd in the table after Sky made their 1st pick. 

It's all change in 2 seasons, though, where Sky will show all 10 final day games exclusively live. 

Posted (edited)

Bollocks I was hoping they would show all the games. Not sure why they can't make them red button, at least. Sure they've probably all sold out so won't cost the clubs anything. Was looking forward to a relatively stress-free Villa match for once.

Hopefully Sky Sports News will show a Redzone type thing and I'll watch that.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa