#Barclays 24/25

Wee-Bey

Just now, Have some faith in Magic said:

How did that arsenal goal stand. 

Aye, once it was highlighted it looked like it was a certainty that it would get chopped off

Bit of a Keystone Cops effort all round tbh.

Arsenal's points total of 89 and goal difference of +62 would have been enough to win the Premier League in 16 of the past 28 seasons. Regardless of the conclusion it's a great effort. Apart from in the two games you play against them you can't do anything about how many points your opponents get, you can only focus on winning your own games. They were just one point short of the invincible season.

10 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

These cheating freaks getting done can't come soon enough. 

I hate them more with every year. 

I've been wondering if it's bad news for Man City that the Premier League have dealt with Everton and Nottingham Forest before them and that their investigation is taking so long, rather than the good news many seem to assume. Officials have had the time to work out the strong and weak points and, critically, how the appeal panel see things. We'll see.

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, GordonS said:

I've been wondering if it's bad news for Man City that the Premier League have dealt with Everton and Nottingham Forest before them and that their investigation is taking so long, rather than the good news many seem to assume. Officials have had the time to work out the strong and weak points and, critically, how the appeal panel see things. We'll see.

They'll almost certainly just hire a legal team costing the GDP of Luxembourg and get away scott free again. 

A man can dream though. I want to see them relegated and every title wiped off their record, I want see their directors in jail and their bald fraud of a manager also charged with fraud and for him to go down in history as a complicit, fraudulent bald cheat. Hopefully some of the players get done with tax evasion or accepting under the table or undisclosed payments. 

Edited by Jives Miguel

Just now, Jives Miguel said:

They'll almost certainly just hire a legal team costing the GDP of Luxembourg and get away scott free again. 

A man can dream though. I want to see them relegated and every title wiped off their record, I want see their directors in jail and their bald fraud of a manager also charged with fraud and for him to go down in history as a complicit, bald cheat 

No law firm wins every case; if the charge is strong enough anyone can go down. They may be the best but they're not magicians. Nobody thought Juventus would get relegated and stripped of a title and if it can happen in Italy it can definitely happen here.

Must be pretty hollow for the staff at Man City, knowing that they've cheated. A lot of the charges against them are basically like obstruction of justice - the League asked for information (which according to their own rules they are entitled to ask for) and Ciry refused. They said no you have to, City appealed then lost, then appealed the loss and lost that, then attacked the independent arbiter, then appealed that, then the judge said the League were correct so they appealed that, then the judge said she'd be publishing a report so they appealed the fact it was being published, then appealed the decision etc and so on. And that's just to see the stuff the league is allowed to see. Pep is already a proven drug cheat from his time in Italy, and there are massive question marks over his sending of players to Spain to see doctors who are implicated in the Operation Peurto stuff. I'm not a huge fan of Liverpool or Man Utd or whomever else, so I'd love an Armstrong style *no winner in the league records. Sadly UEFA have a time bar (unluckily for City the Premier League don't) so they'll always have the Champions League win on their record but hopefully in years to come people will talk about City the same way they do Marseille. 

2 hours ago, Ned Nederlander said:

English commentators already doing what English commentators do when there's a tournament on the horizon - it's an old rivalry but punditry arrogance certainly encourages the anyone but England mentality

Try being English and having to listen to it.  Already preparing myself for the hype, potential disappointment and following autopsy.

11 minutes ago, Red Kite said:

Try being English and having to listen to it.  Already preparing myself for the hype, potential disappointment and following autopsy.

Most of the people I know down here are, rightly, cautiously optimistic about their team but are scathing about the jingoism that the TV media are yet again spouting.

Man City cheat their way to their 6th title in 7 seasons. A non-entity of a relegation battle as the worst 3 promoted sides in memory go straight back down before the last game. 

What a league though, eh. 

Congratulations to Manchester City.  It is some achievement.

I had a partial Barclays' experience today, without actually getting into a game!

Was in a local eaterie and got talking to a lad who had paid a lot of money to an official Liverpool partner for three match tickets.  He is an out-of-towner who has adopted Liverpool as his club and fair play to him.  The season ticket waiting list is shut so he has no chance of a regular seat.  He brings his lad and encourages him to participate and they get stuck next to tourists who just sit there, with no engagement.  I told his lad the most important thing to remember is to get behind the new manager.

Headed up to Anfield for a look around and it was like a future utopian society.  People from all nations united by a common cause.  Town was full, with loads of LFC clothing donned.  The money this weekend has generated must be a tidy sum.

The Klopp thing is either for you, or it is not.  Good luck to him and his crew.  Leaving on your own terms is some achievement in any job, in this day and age.

9 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

Most of the people I know down here are, rightly, cautiously optimistic about their team but are scathing about the jingoism that the TV media are yet again spouting.

They are sound in The Port!

Just now, Red Kite said:

They are sound in The Port!

Great place to live, astonishing amount of Everton fans around & everyone likes the fact that I don't support an an arse cheek.

1 minute ago, Moomintroll said:

Great place to live, astonishing amount of Everton fans around & everyone likes the fact that I don't support an an arse cheek.

Nice.  I have lived on both sides of the Mersey, but was brought up on the Wirral.  The Port has produced some fantastic football people, not least Joe Mercer.  I remember working down there as a kid and the lads pointing out Dave Hickson (ex-Everton and Liverpool) sitting over the other side of the canteen, in his overalls.  Calling your lad Lee Latchford Evans (Steps) confirms the love for the Blues.

3 minutes ago, Red Kite said:

Nice.  I have lived on both sides of the Mersey, but was brought up on the Wirral.  The Port has produced some fantastic football people, not least Joe Mercer.  I remember working down there as a kid and the lads pointing out Dave Hickson (ex-Everton and Liverpool) sitting over the other side of the canteen, in his overalls.  Calling your lad Lee Latchford Evans (Steps) confirms the love for the Blues.

The Port Arcades has a great tribute to Joe Mercer.

1 minute ago, Moomintroll said:

The Port Arcades has a great tribute to Joe Mercer.

Well deserved.  Sad that The Wing Half has gone.  Having a pub named in your honour takes some beating!