#Barclays 24/25

Cheese

Our wide players will tear apart anyone in this league, but we still need a striker, a goalkeeper and more than a couple of absolute psychopaths in the defence and midfield. I'm talking about a Dennis Wise, or a Ron 'Chopper' Harris.

Edited by AMMjag

1 hour ago, DukDukGoose said:

Slot surprised Zubiemendi turned down Liverpool.

The guy had recently turned down Bayern, Barca and Arsenal 😂

Deluded.

I don't fully understand the fine detail of the situation but...

Apparently he'd need to personally buy out his own contract with Sociedad to let this go through

Which makes matters more complicated than with a conventional release clause

1 minute ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I don't fully understand the fine detail of the situation but...

Apparently he'd need to personally buy out his own contract with Sociedad to let this go through

Which makes matters more complicated than with a conventional release clause

Pretty sure PSG gave Neymar the money to do this at Barca.

I'm talking more about the fact he turned down three better teams. No idea why Liverpool thought it was a done deal.

6 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

I'm talking more about the fact he turned down three better teams. No idea why Liverpool thought it was a done deal.

Basically that amounts to spending the transfer fee on a huge signing on bonus

It's possible that Financial Fair play/Profit  & Sustainability would let you amortise a transfer fee paid to a club but not a bonus paid to a player.

It's also possible that UK and French tax authorities simply treat this situation differently

I'll dig around and see what I can find out

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

4 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Basically that amounts to spending the transfer fee on a huge signing on bonus

It's possible that Financial Fair play/Profit  & Sustainability would let you amortise a transfer fee paid to a club but not a bonus paid to a player.

It's also possible that UK and French tax authorities simply treat this situation differently

I'll dig around and see what I can find out

I did read that previously in Spain, the club giving the player the money would be classed as income but that the rule was changed at some point.

On 13/08/2024 at 18:13, accies1874 said:

Just found out that Steve Cooper's the Leicester manager. I'm quite disappointed that I've been denied the rare delight of tuning into the first Match of the Day of the season and getting surprised by a team's manager. 

I've just had this with Charlie Adam in the English league cup highlights. Fleetwood. Who knew?

On 14/08/2024 at 12:36, DukDukGoose said:

There’s been previous with a number of similar attempted deals falling through. I don’t think anyone at Liverpool thought it was done. 

The opening #Barclays fixture should not be on a Friday night. This is more akin to something you would find in a farmers league.

The game has gone.

Weird looking yet hugely successful singer songwriter Elton John bought Watford in 1977

Weird looking yet hugely successful singer songwriter Ed Sheeran was only able to buy a 1.3% stake in Ipswich Town

The finances of the game have gone crazy. The ordinary pop megastar in the street is being priced out of the game

We've got to the point where Beyonce would be incapable of buying Aston Villa. 

It's not right

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

Sigh. Nine months of this patter again. Great.

Anyway, onto football matters. Really should be Man City's title again but with it being Pep's last season and the 115 charges stuff coming to a head, will they take their eyes off the prize? Arsenal probably best placed to pounce if Man City don't quite manage to maintain their levels with Liverpool, Chelsea, Man Utd and Tottenham all big unknowns. Liverpool should be fine but will that be enough for their supporters?

At the bottom it's hard to see any of the three promoted clubs doing better than scrapping away against the drop. Nottingham Forest, Brentford and Everton might be in danger too. Leicester will probably start on -6 points so probably favourites to finish 20th. 

Predictions: 

Champions: Arsenal

Champions League: Liverpool, Man City* and Tottenham

Europa/Conference: Aston Villa, Man Utd

Relegated: Leicester, Southampton, Nottingham Forest

Some very dull predictions:

Arsenal to win the title

Saka to win PotY

Maresca to be the first to get sacked

Slot to have a very difficult first season

Southampton to finish bottom again 

The outcome of the Man City saga to be incredibly disappointing 

6 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Some very dull predictions:

Arsenal to win the title

Saka to win PotY

Maresca to be the first to get sacked

Slot to have a very difficult first season

Southampton to finish bottom again 

The outcome of the Man City saga to be incredibly disappointing 

I'd add...
Labour to regret deciding to get involved in regulating football as whatever the new watchdog does is going to be seen as too harsh by supporters and yet also too lenient by other supporters allowing football to become a political football

Man City to win the league barring points deductions.

Arsenal will be runners-up.

Liverpool, Tottenham, Chelsea, Man U, Villa, Newcastle and maybe someone like West Ham competing for two or three remaining Champions League places. Really not sure with Villa, we could be anywhere between third and tenth. Just win a sodding trophy, please.

All the promoted teams to go straight back down. Fancied Leicester to make a fight of it but not having to start with a new manager.

39 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Predictions: 

Champions: Arsenal

Champions League: Liverpool, Man City* and Tottenham

Europa/Conference: Aston Villa, Man Utd

Relegated: Leicester, Southampton, Nottingham Forest

Champions : Citeh

Champs League: Arsenal, Aston Villa, Tottenham

Europa/Conference: Liverpool, Newcastle

Relegated:  Brentford, Southampton, Nottingham Forest

Edited by ++Ammo - Airdrie++
Spelling