Dundee vs. Motherwell Saturday 5th August

6 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Still think we're missing a ball-playing CM. Unearth one before September from somewhere and I think we'll stand a decent chance of staying up. Front pair look capable of being a nuisance to any side, but there's no control of the play so we're going to struggle to work the ball forward and exert any sort of consistent pressure.

Shaughnessy looks solid in the middle, but Ashcroft always looks up for a howler when the ball goes near him. Getting French back and fit will be big.

Yeah, Ashcroft is our weak link at the moment imo, far too slow.

8 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

For who?

Well, I would say Dundee. As in they we're robbed of all 3 points. There was like 3 tines during the second half were we were saved by the post or a lucky clearance of the line.

Maybe the final 10 minute we improved slightly but over the 90 Dundee deserved all 3 points 

Don't think you can ever be unhappy with a point away from home but it sounds like we were a bit fortunate in the end. 

A couple of more signings definitely needed, particularly full backs as we're clearly short of pace in that area. O'Donnell and Souare are passable but both are slower than a week in the jail. The less said about McGinley as a footballer, the better. 

17 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Still think we're missing a ball-playing CM. Unearth one before September from somewhere and I think we'll stand a decent chance of staying up. Front pair look capable of being a nuisance to any side, but there's no control of the play so we're going to struggle to work the ball forward and exert any sort of consistent pressure.

Shaughnessy looks solid in the middle, but Ashcroft always looks up for a howler when the ball goes near him. Getting French back and fit will be big.

I'd rather have another centre half. 

12 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I'd rather have another centre half. 

If Docherty would give up on playing McGhee in midfield and just use him like he did today, then I'm no sure we'd actually need one. Still early days with Portales yet, but he, McGhee, and French all look to me like they'd be fine playing on the outsides of the 3, with Shaughnessy in the middle and Ashcroft backing that up. 

Right now, the only options we have for playing alongside Boateng are Byrne and McGhee, who are the same type of player but poorer versions, Cameron and Mulligan, who I think are both better played further forward, or Fin Robertson, who I think needs at least a season, and probably two, playing 1st team football at a lower level to develop his game. Max Anderson is another who I think is better off played further forward, but he's behind both Cameron and Mulligan for that spot IMO. It's a hole because all the options are 'meh' at best. Mulligan I'm the most comfortable with, but I'm no sure he's ready to step up to being a full-time, week-in week-out Premiership CM just yet.

If we unearthed another good CH from somewhere, then aye, that would be great. Would never turn my nose up at adding another solid player, but I honestly don't see it as the weakspot as much as I do that 2nd CM. Lack of a left-footed CH sticks out, but it honestly shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Forgetting about the lad we signed from Albion, but I can't imagine he's ready to be an every game 1st 11 player even once he is fit.

Edited by Boo Khaki

Well Theo Bair showed a lot more than Wilkinson today. Put himself about and got involved in the play. Wilkinson on the other hand was posted missing for long spells.

Didn't learn much more than that. Full backs are still an issue and the attacking quality they can provide is not good enough. Souare was not impressive in any way and O'Donnell wasted a lot of good chances to put in a telling ball.

Game felt like the ones at the end of last season where we closed it out with no issues but Dundee came back into it after 70 minutes. The right winger, McCowan(?) was decent. McGinley came on and did his job of giving him a swift boot.

Disappointed we never created more. Efford looked sharp in his little cameo. Kettlewell could have had him on as soon as Dundee equalised.

If we had someone who could just find that bit of quality to finish in the box, we’d have won that game. 

But a point isn’t to be sniffed at. That’s four post-promotion opening day draws in a row now. 

Hopefully a long time before we have a chance to make it five. 

5 minutes ago, The Master said:

If we had someone who could just find that bit of quality to finish in the box, we’d have won that game. 

But a point isn’t to be sniffed at. That’s four post-promotion opening day draws in a row now. 

Hopefully a long time before we have a chance to make it five. 

Like an Akinyemi?

53 minutes ago, dezz said:

Dundee probably unfortunate not to win that based on the chances created. Thought McCowan was excellent, caused us issues all day down our left. 
Good for Bair to get off the mark and get a point on the board early on. Hopefully some improvement to come once Beireth and Davor are up to speed. 

Very fair of you to say that.* I also thought McCowan did a power of work defending as well.  In fact I thought McCowan was MOM - not that I’m grudging Cameron his MOM as he had a good game as well.

*nothing less than I’ve come to expect from most of the Motherwell posters here.  

I thought both goals were scored against the run of play.  I felt we pressed more in the second half although Dundee’s chances were closer.  The boy who saved Lennon Miller’s screamer with a diving header should have demanded we got a corner.

I think a draw was the fair result overall however a wee bit disappointed we didn't get the 3 points given we hit the post twice in the second half. Motherwell are certainly a big step up on anyone we've played so far and I'd be very surprised if they are anywhere near the bottom 4 this season.

I think it was really important we didn't lose today and I suspect that's the reason The Doc never replaced either of the front 2. Still think we are short of at least 2 players but today gives me some optimism for the season ahead.

Can really only echo what has been said above. Think Dundee over all deserved the 3pts, with the chances. Look to have something about them and played some really nice stuff. Also have pace out wide which we really don’t.

What impressed and was good to see  aswell was that Dundee’s MOTM and arguably Motherwell’s were two very good young Scottish players.

Lyall Cameron I thought look a tremendous wee player and Lennon Miller for me at 16 year old is a Rolls Royce of a footballer.