Third Age: the EOS Third Division 2023-24

A nice evening so took the short trip down to Pumpherston for their match with Livingston United tonight. A pretty bumpy pitch was a bit of a leveller that stopped the game from really flowing, but Pumph ran out 3-1 victors and on the balance were just about the better side in a match low on quality. 

Result just about keeps Pumph in the promotion race, while Livi stay bottom and still searching for a win which I'm sure must be their target for the season now.

Plumped for a first visit to Linton Hotspur today and it was very enjoyable. A very impressive set-up for a club of their size and a borders derby win with a hard fought performance depite playing the last half hour with 10 men.  Attendance around the 65 mark.

image.png.f1533ba92e59569686fab6513c5973d0.png

(Fauldhouse recently lost 2pts - with Edinburgh Community 3-3 Fauldhouse on Saturday 23rd March awarded 1-0 - for a 'trialist last registered abroad'-type offence).

It looks all over bar the shouting now, unless Pumpherston can overhaul 7pts on Harthill in their last 6 games... Royal also have the benefit of 3 of those games being against the current bottom 5. Bathgate still chasing title.

image.png.f8fd8cc2bef540e1fa2b4cab69f768ef.png

Bathgate are all but mathematically up, and their win over West Calder leaves a lip-smacking race for the title:

Monday 6th May
Bathgate v Livingston Utd

Saturday 11th May
Harthill v Bathgate
West Calder v Edinburgh Community

Tuesday 14th May
Livingston Utd v Bathgate
West Calder v Harthill

Saturday 18th May
Bathgate v Fauldhouse
Pumpherston v West Calder

Harthill will be aiming to keep the points ticking over.

Hawick drop to bottom half.

4eb5dadb-5020-49ba-9903-daccbda3cdae_tex

23 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

Newburgh are going to be racking up the miles next season in that league.

A cheeky application into the Midland League would shake things up :whistle

Just now, Spyro said:

A cheeky application into the Midland League would shake things up :whistle

To be honest, you couldn't blame them if they did.

1 hour ago, Burnieman said:

To be honest, you couldn't blame them if they did.

Can't see it being any harm for the EoS, if it doesn't work out they end up back in EoS Div 3. I was more thinking about tipping the Midland League to 21 teams and how they would deal with that, it would be a tricky decision for them

2 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Don't Newburgh recruit more so from within the Fife/EoS footprint?

They didn't appear to have a bus or minibus with them yesterday to Peebles, maybe a fair few of their players are from the southern half of Fife, no idea.

Posted (edited)

I've no idea what people are on about here... Newburgh's total travel should be no different to this season. Indeed in a scenario I just ran based on a fair assumption - it saw them make 2nd trips to Lochgelly; 2 of the 4 clubs in West Lothian; 1 of the 2 clubs in Edinburgh; and 1 of the 2 clubs in the Borders - they would drive 20 miles less than in this season's Second Division?!

In the very worst scenario that can be mathematically contrived they would drive 170 miles more than this season (representing an increase of 10%) but equally in the very best scenario they would drive 70 miles less (reduction of 4%). Even that very worst scenario conceivable is 40 miles less than they did in last season's Second Division incidentally. Bizarre discussion.

EDIT: maybe people simply don't know where Newburgh is.

To illustrate it more holistically using the extremes: they only had 2 round trips under 60 miles this season (Kennoway and Thornton - even Burntisland is further); and they only had 4 round trips over 120 miles (Ormiston, Peebles, Coldstream, Tweedmouth - but latter 2 were over 180 miles). Next season would be 1 or 2 trips under 60 miles (Lochgelly); and most likely about 4 but on paper 3 to 6 trips over 120 miles (Ormiston, Linton, Hawick - with only latter being over 180 miles). Even then Ormiston + Linton are sub-130 miles.

Obviously this represents a considerable amount of travel - credit to them - but assuming it'll increase considerably in Third Division compared to before isn't actually correct.

Edited by HibeeJibee

Hardly bizarre... 

They can play in a barely amateur league with an average away game travel of 55.7 miles, or join another league with an average away game of 26.5 miles without dealing with the Queensferry Crossing. 

Whether it is what Newburgh themselves want to do or not is not something being discussed. But considering the lack of money in the game, fuel costs, etc it is hardly a "bizarre discussion" 

44 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

I've no idea what people are on about here... Newburgh's total travel should be no different to this season. Indeed in a scenario I just ran based on a fair assumption - it saw them make 2nd trips to Lochgelly; 2 of the 4 clubs in West Lothian; 1 of the 2 clubs in Edinburgh; and 1 of the 2 clubs in the Borders - they would drive 20 miles less than in this season's Second Division?!

In the very worst scenario that can be mathematically contrived they would drive 170 miles more than this season (representing an increase of 10%) but equally in the very best scenario they would drive 70 miles less (reduction of 4%). Even that very worst scenario conceivable is 40 miles less than they did in last season's Second Division incidentally. Bizarre discussion.

EDIT: maybe people simply don't know where Newburgh is.

To illustrate it more holistically using the extremes: they only had 2 round trips under 60 miles this season (Kennoway and Thornton - even Burntisland is further); and they only had 4 round trips over 120 miles (Ormiston, Peebles, Coldstream, Tweedmouth - but latter 2 were over 180 miles).

Next season would be 1 or 2 trips under 60 miles (Lochgelly); and most likely about 4 but on paper 3 to 6 trips over 120 miles (Ormiston, Linton, Hawick - with only latter being over 180 miles). Even then Ormiston + Linton are sub-130 miles.

I know exactly where it is, perhaps I'm guilty of not being aware just how many miles they had to rack-up this season, and it doesn't really get any better after they have hit the bottom.   Tough going for any club and given their location, then I wouldn't be surprised if the Midland League was an attractive proposition for them, although I hope they stick with it.

6 minutes ago, Spyro said:

Hardly bizarre... They can play in a barely amateur league with an average away game travel of 55.7 miles, or join another league with an average away game of 26.5 miles without dealing with the Queensferry Crossing. Whether it is what Newburgh themselves want to do or not is not something being discussed. But considering the lack of money in the game, fuel costs, etc it is hardly a "bizarre discussion" 

It's raised in the context of relegation sending it up but the travel is little different to before when those other factors also applied. Btw clearly is a considerable mileage for them, no minimising that. However no more so than before (when I don't recall anybody doubting them btw). Level down is inevitably a lower standard - equally after battling relegation they may now challenge for promotion?

The way I remember it. The poster that was a fan of theirs, also said they saw themselves as a Fife club. They just get lumped into the North/Midlands by those trying to make-up numbers. In a similar way St Andrews get the odd mention in these types of discussions.

The club obviously chose the EoSFL knowing what it would entail, but even before that they chose the Premier South instead of North when people were trying to balance out the numbers in the dying days of the East Region.

Right now there's no known split of the Midlands which means increased number of games. That throws off trying to do travel on averages a little. Signing upto the SJFA which might come with a different set of costs. The Junior Cup and North/Midlands Inter-Regional Cup on potential travel woes. 

On the recruitment front. Being a lone North Fife team could be an advantage in a competitive division with 3/11 promotion spots. Rather than being potential whipping boys in an already oversaturated league.

24 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

It's raised in the context of relegation sending it up but the travel is little different to before when those other factors also applied. Btw clearly is a considerable mileage for them, no minimising that. However no more so than before (when I don't recall anybody doubting them btw). Level down is inevitably a lower standard - equally after battling relegation they may now challenge for promotion?

Yeah that's another way to look at it. I have no idea where their players come from and whether that influences their decision.

I think the point I was making is, it doesn't really matter where they want to play now they are at the bottom of the EoS. I'd selfishly prefer them in the EoS as they are a decent team, but if I was running their finances then I would be asking the question.

Bathgate Thistle are      PROMOTED   

224c9953bb03cd7cde6fece640a00dafc8be405c

image.png.7d698aa611cbcc853cdee65893777f58.png

Bathgate Thistle 6-0 Livingston Utd
Stoneyburn 2-5 Hawick Royal Albert

Bathgate close to within 1pt and 4 goals of West Calder.

Hawick travelled to Stoneyburn - and dented the hosts already tenuous promotion hopes... both reboot in 48hrs when Hawick travel to Stoneyburn.