FA Cup 2023/24

Eednud

Ellis Simms is a strange player. Scores some lovely goals, but has such a languid style and never seems to break out of a walk. Maybe he's playing the game in 5-D and I'm just not on the same wavelength.

On 22/04/2024 at 06:49, Blootoon87 said:

Hmm.

Screenshot_20240421-234835.png

This is the problem. They've brought a facility that can measure to the nth degree. Once it has done that, the operator has no problem. It could be a millimetre or a kilometre. Offside is offside, over the line is over the line.

Do we have to change the rule ie clear daylight, if so how much daylight? Something more radical?

more radical !! No we need to go retro.... with the  assistant referee immediately raising the flag when they think a player is offside. Works fine down the leagues.  

The true fan experience:-

1) Ball hits the net

2) Fan looks at assistant

3A) No flag-   celebrate goal.

or

3B) Flag- shout abuse at official for his poor eyesight, inability to keep up with the play and lack of sporting integrity.

VAR is a killjoy and is spoiling the game.

3 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

This is the problem. They've brought a facility that can measure to the nth degree. Once it has done that, the operator has no problem. It could be a millimetre or a kilometre. Offside is offside, over the line is over the line.

Do we have to change the rule ie clear daylight, if so how much daylight? Something more radical?

It can’t be measured to the nth degree when there’s no way of knowing the exact moment the ball is played.

With an attacker running forward a millisecond delay in pausing the video can be the difference between offside or onside.

17 hours ago, eez-eh said:

It can’t be measured to the nth degree when there’s no way of knowing the exact moment the ball is played.

With an attacker running forward a millisecond delay in pausing the video can be the difference between offside or onside.

I think the multiple cameras at different angles and monitors will allow them to see the point the ball is played.

Anyway, I don't like it any more than you, but it does what it's supposed to. If the offside rule stays as it is, it's a case of living with VAR or scrapping it altogether, but I don't think that's very likely.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Football Focus speak your brains element made me want both sides to lose.   Now Henry Winter is pontificating about nothing whatsoever.  

But they did play the Inspiral Carpets so I’m in my happy place.  

Just now, Zetterlund said:

Bruno Fernandez up front and Hojlund on the bench 🙃

He's gone full Tombola for his last game.