FA Cup 2023/24

Eednud

Just now, Mr. Brightside said:

That's very harsh.

Red for me.

Studs up, over the top of the ball with a straight leg.

Lucky he didnt fully catch him, but still a needlessly dangerous tackle.

2 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

Red for me.

Yeah he was never going to get away with that under the current rules. 

Even the thing that happened was shite, and has failed to spark anything of note. One of the worst games iv seen all year. Normally the FA Cup can turn a game that looks less than thrilling at first glance into something. Not tonight. 

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

Even the thing that happened was shite, and has failed to spark anything of note. One of the worst games iv seen all year. Normally the FA Cup can turn a game that looks less than thrilling at first glance into something. Not tonight. 

If this was the 'league of late goals' we'd be guaranteed some injury time drama. Unfortunately the magic of the cup can't compete with that. 

46 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

Red for me.

This.

The Law states:

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.

The sanction for serious foul play is a red card.

You don't need to hurt someone to have endangered them. You just can't go over the ball and stick all your studs into your opponent's shin, regardless of intent or force used.

2 hours ago, The Golden God said:

I know they’re getting rid of them soon but cup replays should have been binned long ago. 

They've already gone in Qfs (since 2016-17: due to international double-headers every March since 2015 causing clashes)... then Last 16 (since 2019-20: due to that round moving midweek to enable EPL winter break weeks)... and proposal from next season is apparently only to remove them from this round and Last 32 (due to increased UEFA dates). They'll apparently remain upto R2.

6 hours ago, Sonam said:

Sunderland v Newcastle 12:45pm K.O. on ITV Sat would be amazing if Sunderland could win somehow.

On Newcastles current form this wouldn't surprise me. Could be the revival of Beale-ball.

The FA Cup used to be one of the greatest tournaments culminating in the final at the old Wembley.

Now because of the financial treasures of the Premier league, Champions league qualification and possibly relegation it’s just become rather meaningless to many top clubs. 

I was fortunate to watch the last ever FA cup final at the old Wembley with Villa unfortunately losing to Chelsea and a few finals when they were held in Cardiff.

Thankfully I still feel that the Scottish Cup has retained much of the excitement and experience that I remember when first introduced to football back in the early 70s. 

1 hour ago, Molotov said:

The FA Cup used to be one of the greatest tournaments culminating in the final at the old Wembley.

Now because of the financial treasures of the Premier league, Champions league qualification and possibly relegation it’s just become rather meaningless to many top clubs. 

I was fortunate to watch the last ever FA cup final at the old Wembley with Villa unfortunately losing to Chelsea and a few finals when they were held in Cardiff.

Thankfully I still feel that the Scottish Cup has retained much of the excitement and experience that I remember when first introduced to football back in the early 70s. 

Completely gone 

The days of Keith Houchen et al never to return