Bronze License

Greenmachine

Will be interesting to see if the Lowland League now tightens up its ground requirements so there's no danger of a club with an entry level ground blocking progression. Think requiring cover for 500 within a reasonable timeframe would be sensible. It's only Caledonian Braves, Civil Service Strollers and Edinburgh Uni that would have major issues on that and it is understandable why the SPFL would not want grounds like those in their league.

2 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Says unanimously above so looks like Bonnyrigg Rose voted for it. Cover for 500 will be an issue for some LL clubs as well and given the SFA are currently reviewing licensing criteria things may wind up being tougher than the current set of standards..

Edinburgh infamously only have 499 seats. Although they have plans to build a 2nd stand eventually.

22 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

So if you mean from the start of the 2024/2025, does that then mean that a non-licensed team could be promoted this season, as the rules won't kick in till the start of next season?

These are the SPFL's rules for being able to play in the league in 2024/25 - however likely a waiver would be granted as long as some effort was being made towards it.

4 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

These are the SPFL's rules for being able to play in the league in 2024/25 - however likely a waiver would be granted as long as some effort was being made towards it.

Aye waivers have been used semi-regularly and will continue to be so,  there’s being used this season to allow airdrie to play championship for example.

5 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Aye waivers have been used semi-regularly and will continue to be so,  there’s being used this season to allow airdrie to play championship for example.

The current rules require a Bronze ground and Silver floodlights for the Championship so this season Airdrie wouldn't need a waiver.

Edited by Ginaro

According to this only Cowdenbeath and Cumbernauld Colts have Bronze level grounds in the LL or below.  Cowdenbeath could get the bronze level overall with not much effort by my understanding but getting a ground up to the standard for some other teams could be almost impossible I expect as the cost or space availability might just not be there.

How do UOS not have the same rating for Ground as Stirling Albion? 

9 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

...How do UOS not have the same rating for Ground as Stirling Albion? 

Maybe don't have access to as much of Forthbank as Stirling Albion do? Likely easily remedied though by paying more in rent money to gain a greater level of access.

32 minutes ago, Auld Heid said:

It could be close, there may be some room on standside to extend - but not other side.

Most references say it’s 104 yards by 65 yards, which translates to 95.1m x 59.4m. Assuming that’s correct, you’re looking for 2 ft, which to be honest, I would expect the SPFL to probably waive if it’s League One or Two…and if you were going bigger than that, you’d need a new ground anyway. There also looks to be room to add a yard/metre on the roadway side.

5 hours ago, Dev said:

When do the changes come into effect? Is it the start of 2024/25?

Surely any changes have to be brought into effect with min. 12 months notice from the relevant AGM? All such AGMs have long gone. That would mean new rules in time for the start of the 2025/26 season wouldn't it?

4 hours ago, craigkillie said:

This was voted on at the recent SPFL AGM and passed unanimously. Therefore it will be in place from the start of the 2024/25 season. I don't know why you think it would require any more notice than that?

7 hours ago, parsforlife said:

It was voted through today along with the board appointments for this season

Let's see? If it was voted upon today then presumably the relevant AGM was where the vote was held - so was that today? Just asking as I don't know the answer.

Less than 12 months warning of significant changes to promotion/relegations etc etc would not be reasonable would it? Waivers are not the issue.

6 hours ago, Dev said:

Let's see? If it was voted upon today then presumably the relevant AGM was where the vote was held - so was that today? Just asking as I don't know the answer.

Less than 12 months warning of significant changes to promotion/relegations etc etc would not be reasonable would it? Waivers are not the issue.

CraigKillie is probably more correct than myself, I just assumed based on the press release and didn’t think you’d hang around long to make such an announcement.

There’s a reaction by some that this is like the old SPL 10000 seats rule that’s going to prevent clubs going up or those that do having to spend large sums doing so.   I’m almost certain that no club is going to be denied promotion into league 2 unless they make little effort to do so.   The bronze requirements are not that erroneous and it’s being speculated for a while that they would come in for spfl, you would think clubs will have already been targeting the areas required.

Edited by parsforlife

12 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Edinburgh infamously only have 499 seats. Although they have plans to build a 2nd stand eventually.

The bronze licence refers to cover for 500 people, no mention of seats in that. Plenty Clubs like Edin City ? don’t have 500 seats. 
I believe Cowden gave up their bronze because you need a Doctor at every game which is very expensive. 

37 minutes ago, Brazilianlex said:

The bronze licence refers to cover for 500 people, no mention of seats in that. Plenty Clubs like Edin City ? don’t have 500 seats. 
I believe Cowden gave up their bronze because you need a Doctor at every game which is very expensive. 

Correct, Bronze licence refers to "500 covered places". However, that doesn't change the point. Edinburgh still only have 499. They have additional standing areas but none of them are covered. Take the point though that it would presumably be possible to erect a small shelter to cover at least one person relatively cheaply!

You don't need a Doctor at every game, you need a Doctor at every HOME game. Very few lower division clubs carry one to away games. Doctor only needs to attend every game for a Gold licence.

12 hours ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

According to this only Cowdenbeath and Cumbernauld Colts have Bronze level grounds in the LL or below.  Cowdenbeath could get the bronze level overall with not much effort by my understanding but getting a ground up to the standard for some other teams could be almost impossible I expect as the cost or space availability might just not be there.

How do UOS not have the same rating for Ground as Stirling Albion? 

Ground criteria includes admin things like having a suitable Disability Access Officer and appropriate disability policies. Perhaps UoS don't have one.

18 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Correct, Bronze licence refers to "500 covered places". However, that doesn't change the point. Edinburgh still only have 499. They have additional standing areas but none of them are covered. Take the point though that it would presumably be possible to erect a small shelter to cover at least one person relatively cheaply!

You don't need a Doctor at every game, you need a Doctor at every HOME game. Very few lower division clubs carry one to away games. Doctor only needs to attend every game for a Gold licence.

You do need a doctor at every game.  However, for away games you can use the home team’s doctor to fulfill that role.  If a doctor is not available for a game a paramedic can occasionally be used as a substitute.  Cowdenbeath were unable to maintain bronze in Lowland League as they would have had to arrange to get a doctor to attend virtually all away games as the home clubs with entry level licenses would not have one present 

12 minutes ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

You do need a doctor at every game.  However, for away games you can use the home team’s doctor to fulfill that role.  If a doctor is not available for a game a paramedic can occasionally be used as a substitute.  Cowdenbeath were unable to maintain bronze in Lowland League as they would have had to arrange to get a doctor to attend virtually all away games as the home clubs with entry level licenses would not have one present 

Fair enough. Not used to having to deal with home clubs who don't have one as Standard.

18 hours ago, Pie Of The Month said:

image.png.cc166dda31d97cf5dde040ceddd83edf.png

I do think more than a bit fishy that Stenny chairman has proposed this as they would rather stop any further more promotion to SPFL League Two and that wee extra hurdle for Lowland League / Highland League winners. Was he not the one that said shouldnt be any more relegation from SPFL for at least 2 seasons due to covid.

I am surprised Bonnyrigg and a few others would be happy to accept this as you do know they will eventually make the criteria even tougher to try to stop Linlithgow, Tranent and others in West that could challenge them long term having to spend that bit more cash on facilities or stop promotion.

Edited by Shannon