Sack Race 2023/24

Sack Race 2023/24  

311 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

48 minutes ago, Chefki Kuqi said:

Surprised Johnson's getting much of a mention in this. He plays decent football and last season was generally fairly enjoyable with a couple of shit blips. 

So far I'd say the signings seem sensible and we could possibly be seeing a couple of the good loan players from last season returning.

I think it's more perception than reality that Hibs sack managers frequently. We gave Jack Ross the bullet and Maloney soon after, and it appeared like the same fate might await Johnson but it didn't and he's still here and doing well. Prior to that you'd have to look at Heckingbottom for being another manager given relatively short shrift with those appointed either side of him given decent time.

I reckon it's more likely Johnson gets a job down south than gets sacked by us, that's my bold take. 

As for who goes first, Jim Goodwin's in the Championship and the Hearts situation is a fairly obvious ruse. Sneaking suspicion it might be Robinson. Not necessarily his fault as the squad are being sold off from under him but that creates tension in itself. I don't think it'd necessarily be a fair sacking, albeit I don't really know a huge amount about St Mirren's current situation, but it's my gut feeling. 

Doubt it would be Robinson. We have sold 4 players since January, 3 of whom weren't getting a game and we have sell-ons for 3 of them. Pretty good business. No-one has been sold under the manager.

Baccus I believe was told when we signed him that we wouldn't stand in his way if we got an offer over a certain amount. Now if Strain and O'Hara are sold I'd be worried but nothing of concern so far.

And Carson is being petty. He has 3 years on his contract and says he wants away after a fall-out. St Mirren said only if we get a transfer fee.

46 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Doubt it would be Robinson. We have sold 4 players since January, 3 of whom weren't getting a game and we have sell-ons for 3 of them. Pretty good business. No-one has been sold under the manager.

Baccus I believe was told when we signed him that we wouldn't stand in his way if we got an offer over a certain amount. Now if Strain and O'Hara are sold I'd be worried but nothing of concern so far.

And Carson is being petty. He has 3 years on his contract and says he wants away after a fall-out. St Mirren said only if we get a transfer fee.

Fair enough, probably used the wrong terminology but I was under the impression that St Mirren were seeing some key players depart. Seeing as Main's off, Baccus may follow and Carson's having a tiff I figured it could be tough to put things back together for a while but as I say I'm looking from the outside in and it's fairly likely there's business still to be done the other way that could put things on a better footing. 

Still sticking to my gut feeling it'll be Robinson however!

Docherty is safe. Gary Bowyer aside, we have a track record of backing managers under Nelms and Keys.  

I think Hearts will struggle this season. McLean also doesn’t strike me as management material so I’d also put him in the frame. And Rodgers also at risk. That’s definitely going wrong. 

13 hours ago, Tony Wonder said:

Why? If the board genuinely think Naismith is the best person to take us forward,  why should they ignore him and appoint someone else just because they've done a course?

He wasn't even eligible to apply for the pro licence til this season. He might end up being a shite appointment, but if they think it's the right one they are correct to put him in charge.

I don't like the setup as it looks silly, but it's obvious to everyone who is actually in charge and it's not going to lead to any confusion whatsoever unless you're looking for reasons to.

As for first sacking, I also think it could be Robinson if they get off to a bad start. Can see him being the kind of guy to get frustrated easily. Plus a lot of the other managers look far pretty secure so hard to call.

Because, like in many other walks of life, you should have to get the qualifications to do something before you do it. A right of passage. Just because Hearts think it is the right thing to do, doesn't mean it is. 

Yes, he could go on to do really well and Hearts will feel justified in that sense but the point still stands for me regardless. 

The setup is silly, especially for a club of Hearts' stature. At least I could say that Hearts' belief in Naismith is commendable; hopefully if he does well and impresses others then he returns that loyalty. 

14 hours ago, Chefki Kuqi said:

I think it's more perception than reality that Hibs sack managers frequently. We gave Jack Ross the bullet and Maloney soon after, and it appeared like the same fate might await Johnson but it didn't and he's still here and doing well. Prior to that you'd have to look at Heckingbottom for being another manager given relatively short shrift with those appointed either side of him given decent time.

You've had 8 managers in that last 10 years - not including caretakers. I don't think it's a stretch to say that Hibs, certainly in modern times, are pretty trigger happy when it comes to sacking managers.

Edited by Shuggie_Murray7

3 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

You've had 8 mnaagwers in that last 10 years - not including caretakers. I don't think it's a stretch to say that Hibs, certainly in modern times, are pretty trigger happy when it comes to sacking managers.

Yeah perhaps, I guess what I'm trying to get at is in relative terms I don't get the feeling we are, I see plenty of new faces around the league every season and I don't think we're unique or an outlier in that regard. That said I don't have the information about how many other managers other teams have gone through in a similar period and I'd be curious. 

I would concede that we've not been particularly patient as in the case of St Johnstone or successful as Aberdeen were under McInnes and this has led to us not having any real long term managers, Lennon was probably the closest we had to one weirdly. My perception was that Hearts were slightly more stable but if you look at the same period there are 7/8 managers there, depending on if you count Frankie McAvoy, and St Mirren have 10. So based purely on back of a handkerchief research I don't think we're particularly trigger happy relative to other clubs but open to having the data put in front of me. 

20 minutes ago, Pens_Dark said:

Because, like in many other walks of life, you should have to get the qualifications to do something before you do it. A right of passage. Just because Hearts think it is the right thing to do, doesn't mean it is. 

Yes, he could go on to do really well and Hearts will feel justified in that sense but the point still stands for me regardless. 

The setup is silly, especially for a club of Hearts' stature. At least I could say that Hearts' belief in Naismith is commendable; hopefully if he does well and impresses others then he returns that loyalty. 

Well I'll agree to disagree. By all accounts the SFA don't even care and it's purely to satisfy the UEFA requirements, if we weren't in Europe no one would bat an eyelid and claim Naismith wasn't qualified. He's literally been unable to apply for it before now, if anything it's hindering his job prospects.

Istanbul have won the Turkish League before, and yet they had the exact same setup last season. Emre was in the dugout at Tynecastle in the Conference League as the Technical Director. Avram Grant never had one at Chelsea and won the Champions League, Southgate at Middlesbrough never had one.. Clubs bigger than Hearts have had a similar issue, if the board feel Naismith is the right man they should do what they can to have him in IMO. 

6 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

Well I'll agree to disagree. By all accounts the SFA don't even care and it's purely to satisfy the UEFA requirements, if we weren't in Europe no one would bat an eyelid and claim Naismith wasn't qualified. He's literally been unable to apply for it before now, if anything it's hindering his job prospects.

Istanbul have won the Turkish League before, and yet they had the exact same setup last season. Emre was in the dugout at Tynecastle in the Conference League as the Technical Director. Avram Grant never had one at Chelsea and won the Champions League, Southgate at Middlesbrough never had one.. Clubs bigger than Hearts have had a similar issue, if the board feel Naismith is the right man they should do what they can to have him in IMO. 

He openly admitted that he hindered his own job prospects. 

We will agree to disagree, it is clearly Hearts prerogative who they appoint and if they want to use a loophole to let him control things 'from the back seat' then go for it. 

Him or McAvoy or whoever is actually the face of the club will be the first to go in my opinion but equally I hope it isn't as I want most young Scottish managers to do well.

15 minutes ago, Pens_Dark said:

He openly admitted that he hindered his own job prospects. 

We will agree to disagree, it is clearly Hearts prerogative who they appoint and if they want to use a loophole to let him control things 'from the back seat' then go for it. 

Him or McAvoy or whoever is actually the face of the club will be the first to go in my opinion but equally I hope it isn't as I want most young Scottish managers to do well.

I honestly don't think there's any chance whatsoever Hearts have the first dismissal. Firstly I am confident it'll work ok, but even if it didn't the board won't be rash. They will give every chance for it to work and generally are slow to listen to the fans. 

I voted Malky because god do I want him gone, but it won't be Malky because the chairman loves him for inscrutable reasons. He should've been punted at the end of the season but wasn't, so I can't see more dire results being enough for him to go this year.

On 19/07/2023 at 16:49, Wilbur said:

McLean.

Fewer than 8 games into the league season he'll be ta ta.

On 19/07/2023 at 17:59, RandomGuy. said:

He was given a 3yr deal a few months ago and we've history for sticking by managers even through bad runs. Theres going to be a lot of leeway due to the shitstorm he inherited too.

How much leeway do you think he'll be given ?

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

How much leeway do you think he'll be given ?

A fair bit, because hes inherited a shit squad and had to cut it down to the bare bones.

Under the current ownership he'll get most of the season even if we're doomed by March (which im expecting unless we make some unreal signings).