The Death Penalty

1 hour ago, beefybake said:

Actually, I'm fairly liberal in my views.  Ages ago, I came up with a possible solution ( on a different forum ) to the dilemma. 

The idea was to run some sort of pilot scheme whereby hanging would be brought back.

But only for Tories.

Everyone would be happy. 

The right wing ghouls would have got their way, and everyone else would be glad it didn't apply to them.

Oddly, my suggestion didn't seem to gain much traction.

A few slightly nervous titters aside.

Unfortunate downside, criminals would identify themselves as Labour, Green, whatever except Tory. The the Tories could claim everyone else are the criminals as there are no Tory criminals (insert favorite BBC or Politician joke here).

15 hours ago, TxRover said:

Why is it strange? The evidence of police malfeasance was concealed until recently, the comments made by the CCRC were not public until recently. The case was first widely mentioned in 2016 in a book by Bob Woffinden, which caused more people to look at it, and Appeal to pick it up in 2017. Given the timeline on producing a book, his case was public knowledge in at least 2014-2015, if not before. The biggest problem in the case was the slow trickle of evidence of deliberate actions that caused the miscarriage…but which seen as a whole now make it crystal clear. It wasn’t until the last couple of years that the facts regarding the “witness identification”, or perhaps misidentification is better, and the failures there came to light…14 years after the first suggestion in documents that the strength of that evidence meant the DNA evidence clearing him was irrelevant.

I have been consistent in my posts.  I have repeatedly said that if things were as clear back then as they are now there is no way he would have remained in prison so long.  You have confirmed they were not as clear back then.  

20 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I have been consistent in my posts.  I have repeatedly said that if things were as clear back then as they are now there is no way he would have remained in prison so long.  You have confirmed they were not as clear back then.  

You asked why his story hadn’t been picked up earlier…I explained, never questioned your “position”, so not sure what you’re defending. To state clearly…the police and justice system had a very good idea he was innocent within two years of his conviction, but that evidence only slow leaked to his supporters and the public.

11 hours ago, beefybake said:

Actually, I'm fairly liberal in my views.  Ages ago, I came up with a possible solution ( on a different forum ) to the dilemma. 

The idea was to run some sort of pilot scheme whereby hanging would be brought back.

But only for Tories.

Do you mean only Tories who have committed a potentially-capital crime, or hanging just for being a Tory?

Note that I'm not saying that's a bad idea.