Heart of Midlothian in Europe 2023/24

Alberto Spencer

On that evidence, a potentially winnable tie that we have fucked. Oh well.

Midfield selection was poor, subs were poor or too late, failure to keep the head after scoring was poor.

Theoretically still in it, but the second leg will be a different game and we'll probably get dicked.

44 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Do rangers da’s not think Lowry is the next big thing? Absolute jobby.

He was quite highly rated for a few years. Made the break through a couple of seasons ago and looked very promising.

He has since failed to really live up to that early hype with rumours that he had attitude problems. Although this seemed to coincide with his mother having an illness and sadly passing so it could be linked to that.

I think this loan is effectively make or break for his Rangers career which may seem a bit harsh given he is still only 20.

Edited by AJF

28 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I am all for commentators calling out diving and feigning injury. But in this country they only do it when a Scottish team is playing a foreign team. McFadden would never have said what he said about the Greek team's player  about, for example, C*ntwell.

I think you are forgetting the fall out after a Motherwell player was sent off after Cantwell made the most of some contact.

1 minute ago, AJF said:

He was quite highly rated for a few years. Made the break through a couple of seasons ago and looked very promising.

He has since failed to really live up to that early hype with rumours that he had attitude problems. Although this seemed to coincide with his mother having an illness and sadly passing so it could be linked to that.

I think this loan is effectively make or break for his Rangers career.

The attitude stuff from some Rangers “fans” was really vile stuff, vilifying a young boy while dealing with his Mum passing away. Not like football fans to have a lack of any form of emotional maturity though. 

He is only twenty, playing first team football for the first time so wouldn’t be quite writing him off just yet - particularly given how hard a period of time he has had. 

19 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

The attitude stuff from some Rangers “fans” was really vile stuff, vilifying a young boy while dealing with his Mum passing away. Not like football fans to have a lack of any form of emotional maturity though. 

He is only twenty, playing first team football for the first time so wouldn’t be quite writing him off just yet - particularly given how hard a period of time he has had. 

I think the first paragraph is a little hyperbolic and somewhat skews the reality of the situation. I wouldn’t say Lowry was vilified. After breaking into the first team looking the part, he tailed off and was subsequently returned to the B team. Rumours of attitude problems surfaced well before it was known his mother was ill or had passed away as far as I can recall.

Second paragraph I do agree and I think calling it make or break is maybe a bit harsh. I just feel after such early promise with so little subsequent game time he is quite a bit off being a regular in our first team squad.

Just now, AJF said:

I think the first paragraph is a little hyperbolic and somewhat skews the reality of the situation. I wouldn’t say Lowry was vilified. After breaking into the first team looking the part, he tailed off and was subsequently returned to the B team. Rumours of attitude problems surfaced well before it was known his mother was ill or had passed away as far as I can recall.

Second paragraph I do agree and I think calling it make or break is maybe a bit harsh. I just feel after such early promise with so little subsequent game time he is quite a bit off being a regular in our first team squad.

You’ll still get Rangers fans going on about attitude issues any chance they get, there was a pre season video where he wasn’t smiling or something ridiculous and he was getting pelters. 

I don’t think that is harsh tbf - it probably is!

Beaten by a very over rated team with a dodgy defence which we never exploited. 
I actually think Rosenberg were a better team than this lot .

However, out task wasn’t helped by a very questionable management decision to play Cochrane way out of position in right midfield .

Also leaving substitutions way too late in the game to make any real impact .

Same old story with of us giving an average team far too much respect before and during the game, as they were certainly there for the taking 

I feel like Hearts at the top of their game could have won the game, but the team as a whole were just not quite to the level. Too many stray passes, poor decision making. I think Shankland, Vargas, Boyce, Devlin and Kingsley are good enough at this level. Cochrane as a #6 was a hard watch, shame Haring wasn't available while Atkinson, Rowles and McKay were all hopeless

22 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I feel like Hearts at the top of their game could have won the game, but the team as a whole were just not quite to the level. Too many stray passes, poor decision making. I think Shankland, Vargas, Boyce, Devlin and Kingsley are good enough at this level. Cochrane as a #6 was a hard watch, shame Haring wasn't available while Atkinson, Rowles and McKay were all hopeless

Agree mostly. Atkinson was good. Mckay ok. Rowles sold the jerseys - saw someone call him "our Hanlon". Devlin was hot and cold, as per. Frustrating as hell. Great tackles one minute then cannae pass 2 yards to a teammate.

Vargas, Shanks, Kent and Boyce were all excellent. I love Boyce as a player - great vision and intelligence.

All in all, we were beaten by a better team. They're clearly not infallible but I can't see us getting much in the 30C heat in Greece. Maybe a consolation goal.

13 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Thought we played pretty well until the disallowed goal then went to shite after that.

Love Kenny Vargas, he's going to be great

Agree, I thought even with the goal being cut off it'd lift the crowd but it went very flat.

Thought we played pretty well but it was like we just couldn't get any momentum at all..go 1 up, immediately concede. Get the goal cut off and we were on top, concede.

Boyce was excellent,  as were Shankland and Vargas. Feels like we are a central midfielder away from being a very good domestic team.

Tie isn't over, but its a huge task. They are a good team but they look like they will give up chances so we have to be clinical when they come and try to apply a bit pressure.