Pars vs Airdrie - Sat 5th August

Good goal and pleased for Mr "if he's the answer I don't know the question". The initial move was about the best bit of interplay we've had and to then take on the shot on the run was lovely. 

Airdrie now realise that they have to play again and to be fair when they do they look decent. They'll take points off most teams this season. 

1 minute ago, DAFC. said:

I’m on holiday otherwise I’d have been there but has a new tannoy system been installed? 

I'm surprised you can't hear it, regardless of where in the World you are. Deafening. And they're playing some happy hard-core pish when we score as well (which seemed to follow Glad All Over for the second one?). 

Two very very very soft yellows for Breen. I'm not sure either were even fouls, but they certainly weren't worthy of a yellow card. Getting to NBA levels of contact. And of course Wighton was pulled back going through on goal but since he didn't go down like a ton of bricks we didn't even get the free kick. 

10 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Two very very very soft yellows for Breen. I'm not sure either were even fouls, but they certainly weren't worthy of a yellow card. Getting to NBA levels of contact. And of course Wighton was pulled back going through on goal but since he didn't go down like a ton of bricks we didn't even get the free kick. 

Not sure where you’re watching from but both looked as clear yellows as you’ll see On the stream

A lot of things were going against us before the ball was kicked…but we stood strong and saw a win out with 10 men. We don’t ever go down without a fight no matter who we have in the squad. 

Really need to be getting some faces in before an extremely tough day at the office next Saturday. 

8 minutes ago, Diamonds02 said:

Not sure where you’re,  watching from but both looked as clear yellows as you’ll see On the stream

First one looks like he overran it then fell over more in hope than expectation. Second one was shoulder to shoulder and a soft fall. That's seeing it once live and in person so maybe they look worse on TV.

Anyway, good win in the circumstances. Airdrie have the potential to do well this season if they are able to beat the press or can change it up when the build up from the back doesn't work. For us, if we can be mid table when new loans come in and Ritchie-Hosler and Todd return we might be OK.

27 minutes ago, Diamonds02 said:

Not sure where you’re watching from but both looked as clear yellows as you’ll see On the stream

As isolated incidents, I’d say 2 yellows. But Airdrie defenders made the same challenge 3/4 times and none of them got booked for it. Should be the same rules for both teams, no?

That being said, I’m sure Breen dived in to handle it off the line 2 mins before that - looked like it from where I was. Seconds before Gallagher somehow missed when it was easier to score.

Well-earned win I thought. McCann my man of the match, probably followed by Chalmers. Good goal from Allan to win it. But it was a decent game, both teams played well in spells. We dug deep to hold on at the end.

Airdrie are a frustrating team to play against, throw themselves to the ground at the slightest contact. That’s part of the game I guess and probably the only way they’ll get points in this league if they don’t strengthen. But the fake head knocks are pathetic behaviour.

The keeper was going to get up, then McCabe grabbed him and told him to go down, to try and get Tod a second yellow. A wee bit later, Frizzell headered the back of Paul Allan’s head, played on. Then as soon as we won the ball, he went down holding his head. I’m sorry, but there’s no place for that sort of behaviour. Head knocks should be taken seriously. But players faking head injuries like that is disgraceful and makes a mockery of the whole thing. Funnily enough, he was fine to get up and run around with no issues once the ball went out. Thankfully, the ref saw right through that one. Just a shame Edwards couldn’t make the most of the chance. They deserved to concede there.

Edited by CallumPar

2 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

Airdrie are a frustrating team to play against, throw themselves to the ground at the slightest contact. That’s part of the game I guess and probably the only way they’ll get points in this league if they don’t strengthen.

Aye ok mate 🤣

9 minutes ago, Diamonds02 said:

Aye ok mate 🤣

Do you think that defence, that conceded for fun in League 1 is suddenly going to be decent in the championship? I’ve said we need to strengthen to compete at this level. Given how far ahead of Airdrie we finished last season, I think it’s safe to assume you do as well.

The irony of the cheats chants from the Air-de-rie fans when Hamilton gets in between the ball and their player and gets fouled before it went all hand bags. Aye OK. Diving cheating ref harassing Kents. 

Edited by Heaton

Always great to start with a win.

Looked like any of our games last season tbh. Don’t play particularly well but keep grafting away and manage to get the win.

Red card seemed harsh for Breen, Airdrie’s diving was starting to reach laughable levels. They also created almost nothing despite a man advantage.

Really running on empty with the trip to Tannadice with Breen, Mehmet, Todd and Ritchie-Hosler all out.

A special word for the referee - not for the red card this time though. He let the Airdrie keeper hold on to it for protracted lengths of time (and while the six second law still exists, nobody ever gets punished for it unless they take the piss, and this boy was dangerously close) but as soon as we went 2-1 ahead he felt the need to tell Sharp to hurry up collecting a ball to take a bye kick. Consistency? Not from this clown.

Decent game, great result. Game itself very similar to the matchups last season.

Just hoping it’s not too much longer before we don’t have to feel nervous about how thin the squad is. Showed great fight and determination to win that today, bolster this squad and I’ll be reasonably comfortable we can reach our aims this season.

Last, but far from least… Take a bow Paul Allan. Peach of a strike deserving of a winner at any level.

22 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

Do you think that defence, that conceded for fun in League 1 is suddenly going to be decent in the championship? I’ve said we need to strengthen to compete at this level. Given how far ahead of Airdrie we finished last season, I think it’s safe to assume you do as well.

Yeah surprisingly it wasn’t the recruitment part of that statement I took issue with. To imply the only way we’ll get points is through diving is an interesting take shall we say and also seems to be at odds with what other Dunfermline fans have said today.