Pars vs Airdrie - Sat 5th August

Not a bad game to start the season. Otoo MOM for me. Airdrie play dome good football like last season but we grinded it out again. Not many people would have had Allan down to score the winner nevermind an early candidate for goal of the season.

2 new keepers out there today. Thought Sharp had a decent game. Could do nothing about the goal. Our defenders never reacted when it came back off bar. Similar to something just a few minutes before when Airdrie boy knocked it over. Defensively again Airdrie look weak with the playing out from the back. Few mistakes that we didn't capitalise on. Do wonder if McCabe was kicking himself taking himself off then we went down to 10.

5 minutes ago, Diamonds02 said:

Yeah surprisingly it wasn’t the recruitment part of that statement I took issue with. To imply the only way we’ll get points is through diving is an interesting take shall we say and also seems to be at odds with what other Dunfermline fans have said today.

I do think you’ll really struggle to get points if you don’t strengthen. If you had to deploy those tactics, like faking a head knock to try and stop a counter-attack today (and still got nothing), what makes you think that’s not going to be your plan to win games against better teams?

I think we’ll struggle to get many points if we have to play that starting 11 in many games. Based on the fact your coaching staff clearly felt you needed those tactics to try and stop us from playing and still got nothing, I don’t think it’s a stretch to suggest you’ll be dependent on those tactics to get points.

I did acknowledge that you played good football at time - in the post you quoted, but you conveniently ignored that part. But you didn’t create much and seemed to rely on throwing yourselves to the ground to win set pieces, rather than creating much from open play.

Can’t argue with Dunfermline taking the three points. I thought Airdrie were coming into the game more and looked dangerous until the first goal but Dunfermline were on top once they equalised without being spectacular and we never really had an answer for it. It was a great strike from Allan to win it. Today seemed like an ideal time to play Dunfermline with their injuries and then the red card but like the 9 men game last season, we didn’t have a way of breaking them down. 

It’s hard to read too much into one game but I still think Dunfermline will be absolutely fine this season. I predicted them to finish 4th and don’t think they’ll be in any bother. Today’s game probably confirmed that Airdrie need to improve defensively and could do with another forward option, even accounting for McGill and Todorov’s injuries.

3 hours ago, parxyz said:

A big day for the Todorov family today as Nikolay and Nickolay face off.

20230805_144022.jpg

Airdrie don’t have an Alex King either, he was on the bench for Morton today. He is one of the few Consilium players who isn’t at Airdrie though, so it’s a good guess at least! Just noticed Jack Baird and George Oakley too :lol: 

Great win, 2 brilliant bits of play from the goalscorers.

Sharp was fine, Wighton frustrating as ever. Mccann absolutely running on empty at the end and nobody that could be brought on for him. Hope that game hits it home to the club the need for more bodies in and fast.

I thought the ref was garbage all round. No idea about the first yellow as I didn’t see it well from behind the goals. Second was as stick on a yellow as you will get. He gave a goal kick to us after the assistant signalling for offside at one point. He gave us soft fouls most of the first half then gave us hee haw in the second (you may disagree but that’s how I saw it) with one on Frizzel on the edge of the box then the penalty shout being two standouts. He wasn’t any better for Dunfermline at times too though.  

I like Dunfermline and like the gaffer as he seemed very respectful to us and I genuinely thought they were class last season despite our games being close. I want them to do well. 

The idea that we were these cheating divers today and Dunfermline are this stand up team though is absolute tinted specs pish from some very sensitive fans. We could have had a penalty for a handball, your keeper took an age every chance he got when down to 10 men, your striker couldn’t have been any slower going off after being substituted and and you had a few players go down soft too. Know what though that’s smart play and i expect my time to do the exact same thing in those positions. As I would any time a team is narrowly in front in a tight game. It will frustrate fans every week when you’re losing but never when your winning. The only incident I didn’t get was the one with keeper the way everyone was frantically waving and Hutton was getting stripped. That worries us in the stand at first. The handbags at the end was nothing.

First half I thought was a good even game. We will look to play from the back and when we make poor decisions that is going to cost us in games as it could and probably should have today. We did create well and play well first half though. I thought it was a great advert for both teams. 

Second half we resorted to the long ball for most of it and it got us nowhere. Dunfermline deserving winners second half despite Gallagher blowing a guilt edge chance. 

As for us we are not good enough yet  but hopefully we add some more faces soon. Defence are susceptible to a ball over the top, the midfield is lightweight although I can’t fault the effort from them (Dunfermline won most battles easily the second half), we have absolutely no idea how to play against 10 men. 

My biggest issue with us today though was the wide players. Just not good enough today. Both are quick and it’s great when the run in behind but they need to learn to take a man on and get a cross in the box. McGregor turning back the way in the second half was doing my tits in and O’Connor is a trier but I want to see him take responsibility by taking men on and trying to cross more. 

A frustrating second half especially the last 10 minutes against 10 men. Good luck though Dunfermline and a great goal to win it. 

Edited by diamond_for_life

3 minutes ago, diamond_for_life said:

I thought the ref was garbage all round. No idea about the first yellow as I didn’t see it well from behind the goals. Second was as stick on a yellow as you will get. He gave a goal kick to us after the assistant signalling for offside at one point. He gave us soft fouls most of the first half then gave us hee haw in the second (you may disagree but that’s how I saw it) with one on Frizzel on the edge of the box then the penalty shout being two standouts. He wasn’t any better for Dunfermline at times too though.  

I like Dunfermline and like the gaffer as he seemed very respectful to us and I genuinely thought they were class last season despite our games being close. I want them to do well. 

The idea that we were these cheating divers today and Dunfermline are this stand up team though is absolute tinted specs pish from some very sensitive fans. We could have had a penalty for a handball, your keeper took an age every chance he got when down to 10 men, your striker couldn’t have been any slower going off after being substituted and and you had a few players go down soft too. Know what though that’s smart play and i expect my time to do the exact same thing in those positions. As I would any time team. It will frustrate fans every week when you’re losing but never when your winning. The only incident I didn’t get was the one with keeper the way everyone was frantically waving and Hutton was getting stripped. That worries us in the stand at first. The handbags at the end was nothing.

First half I thought was a good even game. We will look to play from the back and when we make poor decisions that is going to cost us in games as it could and probably should have today. We did create well and play well first half though. I thought it was a great advert for both teams. 

Second half we resorted to the long ball for most of it and it got us nowhere. Dunfermline deserving winners second half despite Gallagher blowing a guilt edge chance. 

As for us we are not good enough yet  but hopefully we add some more faces soon. Defence are susceptible to a ball over the top, the midfield is lightweight although I can’t fault the effort from them (Dunfermline won most battles easily the second half), we have absolutely no idea how to play against 10 men. 

My biggest issue with us today though was the wide players. Just not good enough today. Both are quick and it’s great when the run in behind but they need to learn to take a man on and get a cross in the box. McGregor turning back the way in the second half was doing my tits in and O’Connor is a trier but I want to see him take responsibility by taking men on and trying to cross more. 

A frustrating second half especially the last 10 minutes against 10 men. Good luck though Dunfermline and a great goal to win it. 

img_6220.jpeg

7 minutes ago, diamond_for_life said:

The idea that we were these cheating divers today and Dunfermline are this stand up team though is absolute tinted specs pish from some very sensitive fans.

Yeah, I must have missed the occasions where our players were faking head injuries to try and stop counter attacks, or get opponents sent off. It’s worrying that you can’t understand why your club are being criticised for that sort of behaviour.

1 minute ago, CallumPar said:

Yeah, I must have missed the occasions where our players were faking head injuries to try and stop counter attacks, or get opponents sent off. It’s worrying that you can’t understand why your club are being criticised for that sort of behaviour.

Aye that one with the keeper after Tod was a disgrace.

Worked out well in the end for us.

4 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

Few wild offsides given against us today too.

Yeah, officials were stinking for both teams. As I say, I thought Breen handled it on the line just before he got sent off. But would need to see it back. Tod got called offside once, when he was a good 2 or 3 yards on.

The ref also indicated to the benches at 92 minutes played that there was 4 minutes of normal time remaining + 6 minutes stoppages to be played! 

Dave MacKay was leading the protests by showing the ref his stopwatch, that’s first time I’ve ever seen a ref and linesman comparing watches. 

9 minutes ago, Weegie Par said:

The ref also indicated to the benches at 92 minutes played that there was 4 minutes of normal time remaining + 6 minutes stoppages to be played! 

Dave MacKay was leading the protests by showing the ref his stopwatch, that’s first time I’ve ever seen a ref and linesman comparing watches. 

Saw this - he actually seemed to indicate 2 mins of normal time, plus 4 mins stoppage time left, so he thought 6 mins were left. There had been about 48 mins of the second half played at this point. He checked with the linesman and then told everyone there was 1 minute left. Sums up how inept the referee was today.

35 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

Few wild offsides given against us today too.

NW was going nuts about a couple of the offsides but all looked about right to me tbh.

Weirdest one was when offside occurred about 15 yards outside the box and it resulted in an Airdrie goal kick…wut?

Good early play with Dunfermline sitting off a wee bit and I thought we had a deserved lead but all that overplaying from the back , while occasionally clever, has me going demented when an early passage in it, led to the equaliser.

Looked a great strike for the second following Dunfermline dominance,but Gallagher should have leveled it.

The red card never really was used by us with all that slow build up and Dunfermline resilience. Had the reverse been the situation I think they would have a killer edge like last season.

Our wide guys were nowhere near the guys we need and O'Connor was very poor in most of the game. 

We need to add obviously but Dunfermline will also be stronger with their returning players so it's advantage to them .

Series of home games to come so I'm still positive but......

First 15/20 mins was tasty, both teams creating chances. Airdrie grabbing a goal, great strike for the initial shot but poor defending that we weren’t on the second ball. Great header by Otoo to equalise.

Second half I thought we were much better without creating many chances. Airdrie still had chances to score but we showed our resilience. 

Fair f*cks to Paul Allan. He’s not a bad player, but on the WDTHR thread I said I’d walk out if he started over Hamilton. Turns out none of them started and for a bloody good reason, Otoo was brilliant in the middle. Likely he’ll now have to slot back into centre half for our trip to Tannadice next Saturday now that Breen is suspended. Anyway, what a goal from the Allan!

Liked the look of Sharp. Back five were good. Chalmers really impressed as did Otoo. Tod is raw, good player, still a bit slight but I forget he’s only 12. McCann’s work rate is superb, ran his socks off. Wighton neat and tidy, again folk are frustrated with him, thinking he’s lazy but he’s a good player, very useful. 

Need reinforcements big time!

Anyone see Meggle at the end of the game. As soon as the players had shaken the Airdrie boys hands he was on the pitch, had the players and coaches infront of SNW to get a photo.