The Rangers vs Greenock Morton

ClydeTon

Still very boring to watch and we don’t seem fluid at all. Some small positives in Matondo looking a bit sharper and Danilo getting on the scoresheet again but it was very laboured.

We’ve went from having no width at all to then having too much in my opinion. Particularly in the second half when Matondo and Sima were on opposing wings, we left far too much space in the middle of the park for my liking.

I thought the ref missed a few things, and I have no idea why Dessers goal was chalked off in the first half as it never looked a foul at all. He let Matondo away with a potential double booking and I’ve no idea what the penalty was for.

A good healthy away crowd and it felt like a good cup tie and Morton looked decent. McDonald made a couple of cracking saves too.

24 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

On another note, a home tie against lower league opposition and the only 'colt' player deemed good enough to start was signed last year from Leicester. 

If you won't play any of these boys players in a game like this, then you never will. A lot of young players are being wasted in the B teams.

Id quite like to see more youth in there but we are a team still trying to find our feet and we have arguably what will be our biggest game of entire season on Tuesday so I’m not overly critical in Beale letting us try and play into some form with players more likely to feature against PSV.

I can only have immense pride in the lads' performance today, they did us proud.

It was a 'free hit' and so the only option, really, was just to go for it and we didn't half; but they gave us a lot to be happy about. Shows what we can do, when we turn up.

Rangers - poor for the first 50, 60 minutes, until their first goal. It took until they made substitutions to really take over the game (I will, in fairness, note that it was a well rotated side that they put out), and they did after that do what either of the Sisters do against weaker opposition.

I can't really fault anyone for it - even though Gillespie made an arse of it for #2 and Kirk did Kirk things, as he does. Everyone stepped up.

Dougie Imrie, please never leave. You've built a team of proper fighters with plenty of ability.

Now - get the money from today spent on a defender or two and let's get back to league business.

Thank you.15d39e50-76bd-4342-afbb-2cd6a942638e.jpg.259f8ccf55d54af7f0b99cf9a6662d52.jpg

We had every opportunity to go on and actually win that game once we got in front.

Yes, the overall performance was encouraging - the organisation, the pressing, the courage to try and play - but we still gave it away, as opposed to them cutting apart.

If ‘Kirk things’ means playing pretty well and then selling the jerseys, then I don’t want ‘Kirk’ in the team.

Sean McGinty would have been burned at the stake for less.

9 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

We had every opportunity to go on and actually win that game once we got in front.

Yes, the overall performance was encouraging - the organisation, the pressing, the courage to try and play - but we still gave it away, as opposed to them cutting apart.

If ‘Kirk things’ means playing pretty well and then selling the jerseys, then I don’t want ‘Kirk’ in the team.

No, that's just utter horseshit.

The only reason why we're focusing on a few decisions at both ends of the park today is because we were effective enough across the rest of the match for them to count. A total haddy like Sean McGinty playing would have resulted in a 5-0 procession and nobody would care about who caused goal number 3. 

As for the not being cut open, we got an absolute chasing after the Rangers subs came on for a while - it just so happened to occur after we had just gone 2-1 down and so had to hold on for any chance to get back in the game. That could have quite easily - in reality most likely - happened regardless of the scoreline and the outcome would have been similar. One team had depth to change the game in the second half and the other did not; pinning it all on the backup central defender is objectively ridiculous.

Edited by vikingTON

Just now, virginton said:

No, that's just utter horseshit.

The only reason why we're focusing on a few decisions at both ends of the park today is because we were effective enough across the rest of the match for them to count. A total haddy like Sean McGinty would have resulted in a 5-0 procession and nobody would care about who caused goal number 3. 

As for the not being cut open, we got an absolute chasing after the Rangers subs came on for a while - it just so happened to occur after we went 2-1 down and had to hold on for any chance to get back in the game. That could have quite easily - in reality most likely - happened regardless of the scoreline and the outcome would have been similar. One team had depth to change the game in the second half and the other did not; pinning it on the backup central defender is objectively ridiculous.

You again?

Why is Broadfoot getting a pass for game-changing errors, where others get slaughtered?

The ‘back-up central defender’ has played every game since he came in, that’s the clear and obvious fuckin problem.

As for ‘it just so happened’… are you really that thick? It happened when it happened because our bubble was burst… because we (i.e. Broadfoot) let them get back level without doing anything.

Keep it at 1-0 for 15 minutes and the win is actually on.

Broadfoot fucked that - for no good reason - so pinning it on the central defender is, eh, objectively what actually fuckin happened.

I’ll await your idiot response with interest… don’t let us down.

7 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

You again?

Why is Broadfoot getting a pass for game-changing errors, where others get slaughtered?

The ‘back-up central defender’ has played every game since he came in, that’s the clear and obvious fuckin problem.

The backup is playing every game because the first choice got his wrist broken a month ago, you imbecile.

As for ‘it just so happened’… are you really that thick? It happened when it happened because our bubble was burst… because we (i.e. Broadfoot) let them get back level without doing anything.

No, that's utter shite. Rangers were piss-poor but we're always going to bring Hagi, Danilo etc. off the bench in the second half if they were struggling. There was always going to be an onslaught against tiring legs regardless of whether they got a penalty or not. It is a ludicrous degree of wishful thinking to claim that we'd have just controlled the game otherwise.

Broadfoot fucked that - for no good reason - so pinning it on the central defender is, eh, objectively what actually fuckin happened.

I’ll await your idiot response with interest… don’t let us down.

Enjoy your night champ and post your apology in the morning.

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

The backup is playing every game because the first choice got his wrist broken a month ago, you imbecile.

The backup is playing every game because we don’t have enough defenders in the squad… to call you an imbecile would be a compliment.

It is a ludicrous degree of wishful thinking to claim that we'd have just controlled the game otherwise.

Who said anything about ‘controlling the game’, ya fuckin halfwit?

That’s right, nobody… you’re just making stuff up to cover the fact that you’re talking shite, again.

Enjoy your night champ and post your apology in the morning.

Why would I apologise for pointing out you’re talking shite again?

You just concentrate on not getting yourself banned again, eh? (actually, knock yourself out…)

3 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

The substitutes for Rangers absolutely changed the game. We did sit in a bit after our goal but that was largely because of the pressure rangers applied. Yes, we could have won it but it was ultimately a different game at that point.

"Kirk things" was giving away the penalty.

Just now, ClydeTon said:

The substitutes for Rangers absolutely changed the game.

"Kirk things" was giving away the penalty.

I’d say both those things changed the game… but the latter directly changed the score, meaning we had nothing to hold onto.

I’m mystified that anybody’s defending him, particularly after last week at Stark’s.

2 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

The backup is playing every game because we don’t have enough defenders in the squad…

Tbf, the point of a back-up is that they will come in when the starter is unavailable.

We do need more, you're right - and it's a pain in the arse that we do have to play Kirk*, and we absolutely need more defenders...

...but Kirk is simply acting the role he's been brought in to do. (The 3rd goal and penalty at Raith, and today's penalty, are exactly why he is a backup.)

Just now, The Ghost of B A R P said:

I’d say both those things changed the game… but the latter directly changed the score, meaning we had nothing to hold onto.

I’m mystified that anybody’s defending him, particularly after last week at Stark’s.

I'm not defending him. He's made an arse of it twice (three times if you count Raith for two) in the last two games and it isn't good enough, from a back-up or a starter.

The substitutes coming on changed it even before the penalty (and it was the only reason they were pressuring our box, leading to the foul.)

The penalty and equaliser magnified that change tenfold, though.

4 minutes ago, ClydeTon said:

Tbf, the point of a back-up is that they will come in when the starter is unavailable.

We do need more, you're right - and it's a pain in the arse that we do have to play Kirk*, and we absolutely need more defenders...

...but Kirk is simply acting the role he's been brought in to do. (The 3rd goal and penalty at Raith, and today's penalty, are exactly why he is a backup.)

If he’s in the squad at all, it should be as fourth-choice, emergency cover.

And he’s not been brought in anywhere to grab somebody’s jersey, at Ibrox, in a VAR game, minutes after the miracle of them actually getting a penalty against them…

Criminal stuff.

Edited to add: and Balogun wasn’t getting there, he didn’t need to do it.

Edited by The Ghost of B A R P

Well, it wasn't to be.

Was great fun whilst we kept a clean sheet (Jamie MacDonald made a few tremendous saves) and hilarious that we should go in front (4 times out of 4 now at Ibrox) with a VAR penalty. After their second goal and the subs we were chasing it and tiring but I'm pleased with the manner in which we stayed in the game until FT.

If the home side want to win anything this season, they should not use any of the players who started that game. Sterling was particularly terrible.

Just now, The Ghost of B A R P said:

If he’s in the squad at all, it should be as fourth-choice, emergency cover.

And he’s not been brought in anywhere to grab somebody’s jersey, at Ibrox, in a VAR game, minutes after the miracle of them actually getting a penalty against them…

Criminal stuff.

We will (we have to, surely) get another defender. Today will more than likely be what pays for said defender. That should be what pushes him out of the Starting XI and into the void that is the back-ups list.

He f**ked it today, that's pretty much it. Replacement needed ASAP.

19 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

The backup is playing every game because we don’t have enough defenders in the squad… to call you an imbecile would be a compliment.

You clearly don't understand what 'backup' means, so I can leave you to fester in your hole of fail until you sober up in the morning.