When do you give a tip? (For service!)

44 minutes ago, Paxo said:

My experience with card payment facilitators is a 1.5% fee for payments only. There's no additional rate for 'tips' at all, never mind 20% on top of the bill. I've never heard of that from anyone else either.

It has been rolling out in the U.S. for some time now, and a couple of posters here confirmed it was occurring in the UK too. It’s the facilitators who are focused on small businesses (Square, Toast, etc.), especially restaurants, and they strike an agreement like this:

A) 1.5% to 3% of the receipt to process a credit card payment.

Or

B) 1% to 2.5% of the receipt to process a credit card payment IF you have a “tip screen” pop up, customer facing, during the payment process. If the customer elects to approve a tip (often options like 10%/15%20%/Custom Amount), then that tip payment has 10-20% creamed off the top to the facilitator, and the rest is returned to the business as general revenue.

Colour me shocked that when the biggest village idiot in Texas gets called out for talking shite YET AGAIN, it reverts to the classic 'it's actually happening over here in the US, up at my gran's bit honest'. 

A complete and utter fantasist. 🤡

2 hours ago, virginton said:

Colour me shocked that when the biggest village idiot in Texas gets called out for talking shite YET AGAIN, it reverts to the classic 'it's actually happening over here in the US, up at my gran's bit honest'. 

Yet another needless ad hominem attack from you to a fellow poster where you underline your unrivalled qualities as a complete and utter fanny.

19 hours ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Where are the weirdos who said they tip the binmen last time this came up hiding?

That'll be a throwback to the old days when the binmen used to go round the back of your house, pick up the bin, take it to the lorry and empty it, then return it to the back of your house. So, in that instance a tip could be argued as warranted as it saved you the hassle of taking the bins out and possibly ensured you got your own bin back.

7 hours ago, virginton said:

Let’s see…posters on here state this exact thing IS occurring in the UK, and has been for over a year.

VT decides he knows better because another poster has questioned this fact.

And abuse and the clown emoji are deployed. Someone didn’t get his meds today at the Happy Place.

5 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Yet another needless ad hominem attack from you to a fellow poster where you underline your unrivalled qualities as a complete and utter fanny.

Come, come, Barney, it’s his only entertainment.

On 01/08/2023 at 10:09, welshbairn said:

I find tipping a Deliveroo driver with pre-payment means the food arrives hotter.

Different company but JustEat have started offering a "Tip your driver" option at payment. I did it once and when the food was delivered I asked the driver if he indeed got the tips. He hadn't a clue what I was talking about. So don't do it people, it's clearly going to the company. 

On 01/08/2023 at 22:07, Paxo said:

Of course, tips are taxable income, so I have no issue whatsoever with those who earn them paying their way like everyone else.

Aye, I bet they're all declared... 

On 02/08/2023 at 00:32, parsforlife said:

Not uncommon for servers to instruct me to hit no on card machines the ask to add tips.

Always ask if the staff get the tips from that option now. Two bits in Dumfries that I know of offer it and don't give their staff the tips (Hitching Post and Lockards). In the latter I was actually told by the lassie without asking but in the former I had been tipping every time and only found out on my 5th or 6th visit by a young lassie. She told me in front of management and appeared to get scolded after I left. Was pretty fizzing tbh as I always thought the servers were getting it but again it's clearly going to the company. 

On 02/08/2023 at 10:22, DA Baracus said:

The latter. Been cutting my own hair for years now. Think I last went to a barber in 2010.

Same. Mental the price of a haircut. 

On 02/08/2023 at 11:46, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Honestly would highly recommend going to a good barber. Unless you’re just giving yourself something simple like a 1 all over (and even then a barber can make it look much better) then your general appearance can be improved considerably by a good haircut. If you’re Dundee based there’s a few pretty decent ones in the area.

No chance a barber does a better job. I take the blade off and cut all the hair off, it's not difficult. Certainly not worth £10 when I can do it myself. 

Got a taxi for the first time in ages.

Driver's meter was broken so he estimated the fare.

Not even joking the guy was like John Candy & just as funny.

Huge tip from me.

8 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

The hushed, reverential tone that you attach to a fellow poster in the quote is by far the most ludicrous - and hilarious - thing I've read this week. 

P and B has changed a lot over the past 15 years and mostly not for the better with self-righteous sad acts like yourself now on the scene. 

4 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

No chance a barber does a better job. I take the blade off and cut all the hair off, it's not difficult. Certainly not worth £10 when I can do it myself. 

I’m willing to bet a considerable amount of money that my barber is better at cutting hair than 19QOS19 the simpleton train driver.

9 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

I’m willing to bet a considerable amount of money that my barber is better at cutting hair than 19QOS19 the simpleton train driver.

In fairness I would not trust my barber to drive a train. 

13 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Who's arguing that? When it comes to running a set of clippers over a head you don't need a qualification to be able to do it. If a simpleton like myself can do it I'm sure you'd just about manage. 

7 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Who's arguing that? When it comes to running a set of clippers over a head you don't need a qualification to be able to do it. If a simpleton like myself can do it I'm sure you'd just about manage. 

Sure if you want a shite 1 all over buzz then that’ll do the trick, which only some people can pull off (also fair enough if you’re balding severely). If you want anything half decent then you’d be much better paying an expert to do it. 

How much do you think a haircut should cost btw, if a tenner is considered too much? Are barbers not allowed to earn a liveable wage?

6 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Sure if you want a shite 1 all over buzz then that’ll do the trick, which only some people can pull off (also fair enough if you’re balding severely). If you want anything half decent then you’d be much better paying an expert to do it. 

How much do you think a haircut should cost btw, if a tenner is considered too much? Are barbers not allowed to earn a liveable wage?

I said in my post I take the blade off and cut my hair off. Not balding, I just couldn't care about my hair. If I do go bald I really couldn't care either as I've always had my hair short. I don't need to spend money for someone to do it when I can do exactly the same job myself though. Barbers can charge whatever they want, I really don't care. I don't know what part of my original post has annoyed you so much tbh. 

Edited by 19QOS19

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:

I said in my post I take the blade off and cut my hair off. Not balding, I just couldn't care about my hair. If I do go bald I really couldn't car either as I've always had my hair short. I don't need to spend money for someone to do it when I can do exactly the same job myself though. Barbers can charge whatever they want, I really don't care. I don't know what part of my original post has annoyed you so much tbh. 

You said £10 was too much to charge. Which is a ridiculous statement. A good haircut can make a big difference to a man’s appearance which is a small aspect that can improve their fortunes romantically. That some doughball buzzes his hair because he ‘doesn’t care’ is irrelevant. You’ve also said Holly Willoughby isn’t an attractive woman so I can only assume you’ve got a line of supermodels outside your door waiting on the stallion Dumfries train driver who ‘doesn’t care’ about his hair. How masculine you must be to not care about appearance.

What annoys me is you talking absolute nonsense and expecting not to get pulled up on it. You’re the one who replied to me in the first instance as well.

5 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Different company but JustEat have started offering a "Tip your driver" option at payment. I did it once and when the food was delivered I asked the driver if he indeed got the tips. He hadn't a clue what I was talking about. So don't do it people, it's clearly going to the company. 

Aye, I bet they're all declared... 

Always ask if the staff get the tips from that option now. Two bits in Dumfries that I know of offer it and don't give their staff the tips (Hitching Post and Lockards). In the latter I was actually told by the lassie without asking but in the former I had been tipping every time and only found out on my 5th or 6th visit by a young lassie. She told me in front of management and appeared to get scolded after I left. Was pretty fizzing tbh as I always thought the servers were getting it but again it's clearly going to the company. 

Same. Mental the price of a haircut. 

Careful, you’ll attract the magical clown emoji from VT.

5 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

You said £10 was too much to charge. Which is a ridiculous statement. A good haircut can make a big difference to a man’s appearance which is a small aspect that can improve their fortunes romantically. That some doughball buzzes his hair because he ‘doesn’t care’ is irrelevant. You’ve also said Holly Willoughby isn’t an attractive woman so I can only assume you’ve got a line of supermodels outside your door waiting on the stallion Dumfries train driver who ‘doesn’t care’ about his hair. How masculine you must be to not care about appearance.

What annoys me is you talking absolute nonsense and expecting not to get pulled up on it. You’re the one who replied to me in the first instance as well.

At no point did I say "£10 was too much to charge". I said it wasn't worth £10 if I can do it myself. Big difference. 

You seem to be throwing a lot of insults on the back of me responding to your post. I think you might need a wee lie down mate. It's an incredibly bizarre overreaction from yourself. Particularly when you've reacted to something I never said in the first place. If you're going to "pull me up" on something it might be sensible to make sure you're pulling me up on something I've actually said. It'll stop you looking silly next time.