When do you give a tip? (For service!)

I was thinking about this the other day, just after I paid the window cleaner. Who do P&Bers quite happily tip and who dosen't get one?

I quite happily tip a taxi driver, (as long as he/she doesn't take the p!$$ with the route), staff in cafes/restaurants, and occasionally bar staff if the service and banter is good.  

I don't tip shop workers, Amazon/other delivery drivers, the window cleaner (maybe a wee bit extra at Christmas) or takeaway delivery folk. To me, the idea of tipping in self-service retail is ridiculous. If a business offers a delivery service, like a chippie*, isn't it up to the business to pay the driver?

Is that about par for the course?  Anyone care to comment on what they do? How do you decide? Why a taxi driver and not a bus driver 🙂?

My job was office based so there was never any prospect of getting tips no matter how well we performed. 

Accusations of being a tight git, while expected, won't necessarily add much to the debate!

(* It's just an example FFS, let's not start the great "chippie or chipper" debate again.)

I typically round up to the nearest pound for a taxi driver, if they’ve been talking shite/annoying me they get made to give the exact change. 

We went to a Mexican place for my pals birthday a few years back and we had actively try and get the waiters attention when we wanted to order or get more drinks. They got politely asked to remove their 15% service charge from the bill. I’ll only really tip in a restaurant if the service has been very good. 

Always tip the barber too, a fresh skin fade and a beard tidy up greatly increases the chances of me getting my hole on a night out so got to show some appreciation 

42 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

I was thinking about this the other day, just after I paid the window cleaner. Who do P&Bers quite happily tip and who dosen't get one?

I quite happily tip a taxi driver, (as long as he/she doesn't take the p!$$ with the route), staff in cafes/restaurants, and occasionally bar staff if the service and banter is good.  

I don't tip shop workers, Amazon/other delivery drivers, the window cleaner (maybe a wee bit extra at Christmas) or takeaway delivery folk. To me, the idea of tipping in self-service retail is ridiculous. If a business offers a delivery service, like a chippie*, isn't it up to the business to pay the driver?

To play Devil's advocate;

If a business offers table service, like a restaurant, isn't it up to the business to pay the server?

Taxi drivers, barbers and restaurant staff always get a tip. 

The only time I haven't tipped was a hotel up top of Scotland (can't remember where though) when the guy was just taking an order and going back and forward to the kitchen to tell us "don't have that". It was perilously close to the Begbie scene being re-enacted. 

Barber, cafe/bar/restaurant staff (excepting poor service), taxi drivers, certain tradespeople.

ETA food delivery person.

#sharethewealth 

Pretty sure the was a thread on this not too long ago.

Edited by Granny Danger

5 minutes ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

My salary is exorbitant to say the least, so when it comes to tipping I'll generally just add a 0 to the price of whatever I'm buying. 

For context, I keep a Balenciaga hi-vis in the back of the Lexus in case of emergency. 

Do you add that 0 to the start or end of the price?

49 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Barber, cafe/bar/restaurant staff (excepting poor service), taxi drivers, certain tradespeople.

ETA food delivery person.

#sharethewealth 

You are not doing this right.  Explain that you do not tip out of respect for the dignity of Labour, as exemplified in Barcelona during the Spanish Civil War.  From Orwell's Homage to Catalonia.

Every shop and cafe had an inscription saying that it had been collectivized; even the bootblacks had been collectivized and their boxes painted red and black. Waiters and shop-walkers looked you in the face and treated you as an equal. Servile and even ceremonial forms of speech had temporarily disappeared. Nobody said 'Señor' or 'Don' or even 'Usted'; everyone called everyone else 'Comrade' and 'Thou', and said 'Salud!' instead of 'Buenos días'. Tipping was forbidden by law; almost my first experience was receiving a lecture from a hotel manager for trying to tip a lift-boy.

13 minutes ago, Buddie Holly said:

what’s the difference?

Is it that with Just Eat you prepay, but when you phone you pay the driver?

I normally tip the driver from my local Chinese as he's been delivering for as long as I can remember and he's a good guy. But if I order and pay via an App I just take the delivery and say thanks.

31 minutes ago, Thane of Cawdor said:

You are not doing this right.  Explain that you do not tip out of respect for the dignity of Labour, as exemplified in Barcelona during the Spanish Civil War.  From Orwell's Homage to Catalonia.

Every shop and cafe had an inscription saying that it had been collectivized; even the bootblacks had been collectivized and their boxes painted red and black. Waiters and shop-walkers looked you in the face and treated you as an equal. Servile and even ceremonial forms of speech had temporarily disappeared. Nobody said 'Señor' or 'Don' or even 'Usted'; everyone called everyone else 'Comrade' and 'Thou', and said 'Salud!' instead of 'Buenos días'. Tipping was forbidden by law; almost my first experience was receiving a lecture from a hotel manager for trying to tip a lift-boy.

Was Eric Blair in Reservoir Dogs?

Always takeaway delivery drivers. They plan their routes and you’re not telling me they don’t prioritise the good tippers. Always get a decent delivery time when tipping well. 

1 hour ago, Cptn Hooch said:

To play Devil's advocate;

If a business offers table service, like a restaurant, isn't it up to the business to pay the server?

That's the kind of issue I'm trying to get at... Why X but not Y?  Is the level of direct interaction with the member of staff the key? Most folk have more interaction with a waiter/ess than with a delivery driver, so does that trigger a tip?  It has never occurred to me to give a tip to the ASDA delivery driver. What do folk think... should they get a tip?