The Lions v The Dons (Sat 5th Aug)

2 hours ago, Durnford said:

Well my tuppence worth...

Almondvale Suite at the south end of the stadium will be very busy. If you want any chance of a seat you need to be in by 1pm at the absolute latest. Sky Sports etc.

The Boulevard (top of the hill - five minutes max from the stadium) - very busy and very slow service but convenient. Plenty of tables outside if the weather holds).

Weatherspoons The NewYearField - (MacArthur Glen shopping centre - ten minutes from the stadium) - sh1te in my opinion but then I am 66. Full of youngsters and smells of puke (or did the last time I was in) - good food though. Last I heard they had a ban on football colours. Reasonable area to sit outside.

The Paraffin Lamp (known locally as the parry-lamp - ten to fifteen minutes from the stadium) Typical shopping centre pub but a lot better than it looks from the outside. WYSIWYG with good service and a clean cold pint. No problem with football colours as far as I am aware. Absolutely no frills but if you want a pint and Sky sports then might be worth a consideration.

Livingston Inn (Livingston Village - 15 minutes from the stadium)- Good traditional pub but tends to be busy in the front section (sky sports) during matchday. If you're claustrophobic (or antisocial) there is a quieter bit at the back next to the restaurant. No idea of their stance on football colours but doubt there's a problem; might be worth checking though as its a bit of a stretch to the next watering hole.

The Saltire (almost next to Livingston North station - about 20 minutes from the ground). Good modern pub with a sports bar at the back and a family section at the front (particularly focused on food). Sky Sports everywhere. There's also a section to the side that I've never been in but think it might be a younger section. Usually plenty of room although I'm unsure on their stance on football colours I have seen branded shirts in there most times I've been in. Its a fair walk to the ground but there is a bus apparently.

Bankton House Hotel (Five minutes from Livingston South station - 20-25 minutes from the ground but 35 minutes if you don't know the way) Haven't been in there for a long time but a nice old hotel pub bar with sky sports etc. Food was okay but very; very slow.

There are a few other places around but mostly "locals". One things for certain; if you want a pub crawl in Livingston you need to be fit.

I second the Parry Lamp. One of the better, more traditional pubs (as opposed to a bar) in Livi.

On 01/08/2023 at 09:16, coprolite said:

I knew Livingston had a lion as a mascot but I don’t think I’ve ever heard “the lions” as a nickname before. I don’t have a problem with it , just saying.

Home win, single goal scored as our defence introduce themselves to each other. 

For some reason the use to take the lion to pittodrie In the early 2000s never understood why he was always taken up there.

on the game. Can see us scraping it 2-1 the pitch is a concern 

On 01/08/2023 at 11:33, AJF said:

I'm just trying to light the touch paper here. Hyperbole will be my main method of doing so.

Did you not previously mention you are from Livingston? you should nip along and spend the blue pound at your local franchise and light it in person*

*pls disregard if that wasn't you.😉

Dons with a hard fought win with 8 men after a triple red card for clapping a correct decision from Beaton in 3rd minute.

FTP

31 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

@Durnford

Thank you for that

Do you know which, if any, let kids in the bar?

Certainly the Saltire and the Almondvale suite does; think the Saltire dont allow them in the sports bar but certainly welcome in the Family section (at the front). Strongly suspect the Boulevard; Bankton House hotel; Livingston Inn as they have a restaurant section.

Thirty years ago I would take my kids into the Parry lamp for a reasonable lunch whilst out shopping; its probably the same now but cant be certain.

No idea about the NewYearField or Livingston Lodge. However generally speaking Whetherspoons chain tend to have a gamily section so its possible. 

1 hour ago, Frank Grimes said:

@Durnford

Thank you for that

Do you know which, if any, let kids in the bar?

21 minutes ago, Durnford said:

Certainly the Saltire and the Almondvale suite does; think the Saltire dont allow them in the sports bar but certainly welcome in the Family section (at the front). Strongly suspect the Boulevard; Bankton House hotel; Livingston Inn as they have a restaurant section.

Thirty years ago I would take my kids into the Parry lamp for a reasonable lunch whilst out shopping; its probably the same now but cant be certain.

No idea about the NewYearField or Livingston Lodge. However generally speaking Whetherspoons chain tend to have a gamily section so its possible. 

The Newyearfield will be fine for kids, it's basically a restaurant that serves alcohol. Paraffin Lamp have a kids menu (for the food, good business idea here though) so kids should be fine in there - seen plenty folk wearing colours as well.

George

Nottingham   Obileye   Devlin

Brandon   Holt   Sangare  Montano

Kelly

Anderson  Nouble 

This is what I would like. Guaranteed it'll be miles away from what Davie goes for. I would take a draw here but suspect we'll lose. Aberdeen look strong this season and will be looking to make a good start. 

4 hours ago, TommyDickFingers said:

Did you not previously mention you are from Livingston? you should nip along and spend the blue pound at your local franchise and light it in person*

*pls disregard if that wasn't you.😉

Dons with a hard fought win with 8 men after a triple red card for clapping a correct decision from Beaton in 3rd minute.

FTP

No you’re correct I did. And as lovely as that offer sounds, I think I’ll decide to steer clear of the match 😂

A tough opening fixture for Aberdeen. 

Ramadani's energy and fight are certainly going to be missed in midfield. I'd probably prefer to see Polvara start ahead of Barron based on pre-season reports. Dadia is an option as he can play in the defensive midfield role.

I'm mostly concerned by our current defence given the injuries we have. McDonald (teased he might play) playing would be a tremendous boost for us in defence. 

Livingston as always will be well up for it especially an opening day fixture at home.

Unfortunately I can see it being a draw.

Edited by HarleyQuinn

1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Ramadani's energy and fight are certainly going to be missed in midfield. I'd probably prefer to see Polvara start ahead of Barron based on pre-season reports. Dadia is an option as he can play in the defensive midfield role.

I'm mostly concerned by our current defence given the injuries we have. McDonald (teased he might play) playing would be a tremendous boost for us in defence. 

Livingston as always will be well up for it especially an opening day fixture at home.

You obviously haven't seen us recently.Yeh,we'll be up for it,but seriously I'd bite your hand of for a draw here.Huge step up on recent opposition. 

7 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Aye, with MacDonald & Williams out, Aberdeen lack height, not something you want away at Livi. 
Presumably Rubezic will be thrown in, but we’ll have a relatively small Devlin & MacKenzie in a back 3.

We’ll be vulnerable from set pieces. 

I would rather have Barron or Duncan ahead of Polvara, especially with an eye to Celtic next weekend. I expect Polvara to start given how much the club have been pushing him recently, but extremely sceptical that he has suddenly become a good option based on a loan at "Charleston Battery" and a couple of decent pre-season performances.

5 hours ago, DrewDon said:

I would rather have Barron or Duncan ahead of Polvara, especially with an eye to Celtic next weekend. I expect Polvara to start given how much the club have been pushing him recently, but extremely sceptical that he has suddenly become a good option based on a loan at "Charleston Battery" and a couple of decent pre-season performances.

I agree with this. Pre season games are a completely different ball game from competition. Polvara looked lost when in red last season and I will wait to be convinced he is good enough. Obviously hope I’m wrong. 
 It concerned about tomorrow. The defence will be far from settled and the wing back positions are a real worry. Arguably the most important part of a 3-5-2. 

Big performances required from Clarkson, Shinnie, and the front 2. 

23 hours ago, DrewDon said:

Also bear in mind when he came back this summer he was just off a season worth of football & was 100% fit, ahead of the other players.

Remember Jon Gallagher?  
First few games he looked great, but he’d just come in from the American season & was ahead in fitness.

A few weeks later… 

I have reservations too & I really hope we have a couple of midfielders to come in very soon, ideally next week 

Edited by Thenorthernlight