The Lions v The Dons (Sat 5th Aug)

8 hours ago, tarapoa said:

Robson admitted on RedTV they decided to go route one, due to the pace of our forwards compared to Livi’s defenders.

if that was the plan, presumably the execution wasn’t meant to entail just constantly kicking it up to the bonces of their centre-halves.

My issue with this is that of the tactic is route 1, why was Clarkson not played in the quarter back role. He stood out a mile at Tynecastle on this position due to his exceptional range and weight of passing. 
Let him ping those long balls in where it would cause issues for the defenders instead of the big Serb just hoofing it straight at their nappers. 

10 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Is Martindale back on the Colombian marching powder?

”I thought it was a good game”.

Jesus Christ 😆

You’ll struggle to see a worse game of football all season between two shite teams. 

What a clown 

Certainly up there as one of the worst quality games I've ever attended.

My neck is still sore from watching route 1 pish from both sides 

32 minutes ago, 1GregStewart said:

My issue with this is that of the tactic is route 1, why was Clarkson not played in the quarter back role. He stood out a mile at Tynecastle on this position due to his exceptional range and weight of passing. 
Let him ping those long balls in where it would cause issues for the defenders instead of the big Serb just hoofing it straight at their nappers. 

1238584287_seinfeld_had_enough.gif.2debe1647bc88e517e8e9a1e512c0459.gif

42 minutes ago, highland_mechanic said:

Certainly up there as one of the worst quality games I've ever attended.

My neck is still sore from watching route 1 pish from both sides 

We conceded 16 goals from our last 9 games last season, so i'll take a clean sheet 0-0 all day long this season. Going in pre match i was hoping we wouldn't concede more than 2 against Aberdeen, so absolutely delighted on our defensive performance, and how we pressed so much all game, not giving the opposition any time on the ball. Yeah that made it scrappy, but that was the game plan by Martindale and it worked. 

The real test is how we'll do away from home, our away form dropped off a cliff in the latter half of the season. I'd take another shithousing of a 0-0 at Ibrox too, with the currant buns moaning on how shite the game was..

Big bad Livi are back I see. Shame on us for not letting a team rock up and win/play gorgeous free-flowing football.

Looking forward to the season a good bit more than I was a week ago, enjoyed the game because I'm not a dour faced moaner.

Edited by LiviLion

19 hours ago, Cptn Hooch said:

Definitely, I'd also add that Michael Devlin seems to instill a sense of calm in the backline. He rarely looked troubled against Miovski and De Lucas absolutely killed any danger from Duk allowing Ayo to mop up loose balls and match midfield runners

I thought he was very good when he initially joined Aberdeen. Was touted for a Scotland call up. I think he may have even made the Scotland squad. Sadly, injuries got in the way. Kinda surprised McInnes didn't bring him to Killie.

I wish him well, hope his injury problems are behind him and he does well for Livi - just not against Aberdeen ;)

2 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I thought he was very good when he initially joined Aberdeen. Was touted for a Scotland call up. I think he may have even made the Scotland squad. Sadly, injuries got in the way. Kinda surprised McInnes didn't bring him to Killie.

I wish him well, hope his injury problems are behind him and he does well for Livi - just not against Aberdeen ;)

He's definitely another "how have we pulled that off?" signing like Stephen Kelly. Hopefully he can stay fit and we can extend that deal

4 hours ago, LiviLion said:

Big bad Livi are back I see. Shame on us for not letting a team rock up and win/play gorgeous free-flowing football.

Looking forward to the season a good bit more than I was a week ago, enjoyed the game because I'm not a dour faced moaner.

I didn’t get bored as if I’m at a game and the competitive element is there then I’m engaged. 

It was objectively a terrible quality game of football though, I’m not sure why livi fans are sensitive to that. Most dons fans are bemoaning our own contribution to the quality on show in any case. 

3 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Pretty sure he got a couple of Scotland caps. He's an excellent centre back who's been really unfortunate with injuries. I really liked him at Aberdeen and hope it works out for him at livi.

18 minutes ago, GTG_03 said:

Pretty sure he got a couple of Scotland caps. He's an excellent centre back who's been really unfortunate with injuries. I really liked him at Aberdeen and hope it works out for him at livi.

He played 90 minutes against Russia and San Marino plus a late sub appearance v Cyprus back in 2019

59 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I didn’t get bored as if I’m at a game and the competitive element is there then I’m engaged. 

It was objectively a terrible quality game of football though, I’m not sure why livi fans are sensitive to that. Most dons fans are bemoaning our own contribution to the quality on show in any case. 

Aye, small dick energy from LiviLion.

Teams have every right to play how they want to play. It's on Aberdeen to counter it. It doesn't mean we have to applaud it though.

12 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

Teams have every right to play how they want to play. It's on Aberdeen to counter it. It doesn't mean we have to applaud it though.

The pretext before the game clearly showed that a section of Livi fans thought we were in for a pumping from Aberdeen. That clearly did not happen regardless of how they played,and it was up to Aberdeen the Superior side as has been suggested to break Livi down.They didn't,and indeed Livi were arguably unlucky not to end up with one point instead of three.Thats why it wasn't boring for us.Maybe sad,but true.🤷‍♂️.

On 05/08/2023 at 22:14, STFU_Donny said:

Yes, we need more signings. We have a quadruple to win. 

🤣🤣🤣.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Aye, but it seems as if Livi fans are only really happy if they perceive that opposition fans are giving their team stick for the way they play, even when they're not.

13 hours ago, Troy.1995 said:

The pretext before the game clearly showed that a section of Livi fans thought we were in for a pumping from Aberdeen. That clearly did not happen regardless of how they played,and it was up to Aberdeen the Superior side as has been suggested to break Livi down.They didn't,and indeed Livi were arguably unlucky not to end up with one point instead of three.Thats why it wasn't boring for us.Maybe sad,but true.🤷‍♂️.

🤣🤣🤣.

Aye; the fact that we went through complete defensive bedlam since January; on multiple occasions shipping more than 3 goals per game, including conceding to some teams that couldn't previously score in a Texas cat-house, a bit of stability is nice and a clean sheet against what the pundits called "the best of the rest" was a victory of sorts. 

For Livingston, who historically have had a pretty strong defence, second half of the 2022/23 season was sheer hell. This is further emphasised by the fact that prior to that we'd been hovering around fourth place is even more galling.

Sure we would have probably liked to score a couple of goals but not if it meant we'd shipped three.

19 hours ago, LiviLion said:

That's a whole bag of chips 

18 hours ago, DukDukGoose said:

“Small dick energy” is complaining about the playing surface and the other team’s tactics when you don’t win. Your manager has plenty of it. Only one I can remember doing the same was Neilson last year when we drew 0-0 with Hearts in a similarly scrappy game. 

Had Aberdeen made an attempt to impose a “higher standard” of football on the game then it would be easier to accept Robson’s comments. However, he chose to go toe to toe  and it panned out the way it did. Whether you enjoyed it or not, Aberdeen played their part in making it an “ugly” game. Most Dons fans seem to have acknowledged this but Robson’s narrative is biased and hypocritical.

I didn't see much of the game so can't comment too much but I find it a little strange that Livi fans are both praising their team for shitfesting it as if it were some sort of tactical masterstroke from Martindale, yet getting upset about people pointing out that they shitfested it. 

From what I've seen Aberdeen were pretty dreadful and played into Livingston's hands and yes it is on us to break them down if they want to play like that. 

It is what it is. I see it as a decent away point for us and if Livi set up like that against Hearts and Hibs, who I expect will be in the mix for the European spots then they will experience similar difficulties to us. Teams like Livi have to pick their battles and they'll likely look on Saturday as a point gained. Well done them.