Scots in the Championship 2023/24

21 hours ago, Squeaks Snowy Bicycle said:

I don't get why Nisbet gets no game time at all. Have him and Clarke falling out or does he just no rate him? 

It's difficult to both have consistency, and find time for the third/fourth striker in a 1-striker system.

Shankland/Nisbet, our back-up goalkeepers, the perennial Fleck/McCrorie positions, and the 5th centre half struggle for game time.

At least with 5 subs, we're able to share it out a bit more.  The problem with this campaign is that there's no 6th seeds, and unlike Norway (who have opted to play their blank games against Jordan/Faroe Islands) we have arranged matches against England and France.

No doubt there are good reasons for those, but if we'd done the same, we could have changed things around more.

Because of the seeding system, even if we're qualified in the next break, we still need to try and win v Georgia/Norway in order to secure a Pot 1/Pot 2 seeing...

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/10/2023 at 12:16, MarkoP said:

Is Ryan Hardie at Plymouth worth a call up?

Even just to assess him over a longer period, I’ve not much idea about him tbh but he’s scoring goals 

I'd say he is, but he falls under the category of a number of players at the moment. When do you call him up to have this look?? There's no friendlies at International level these days or B camps. Then you're going "is he better than what's in front of him?".....Adam, Dykes, Shankland, Nisbett, Brown or Stewart.......maybe even throw Christie in that as well.....i'm not really sure he is.

If he keeps up this form then maybe he can force his way in, or if there's a few injuries it might be the time to have a look, however I just don't see it and to be honest, i'm not sure I would have him in front of the established members personally. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Matty Phillips having a fantastic season with West Brom, playing Left & Right Back, Left & Right Wing , CAM and Striker so far. He's been plague with injury for years (which probably stopped him from going to the very top) but since CC has come in, he's been simply outstanding and one of the first names on the team sheet by the look of things.

On 31/10/2023 at 12:25, BB_Bino said:

Matty Phillips having a fantastic season with West Brom, playing Left & Right Back, Left & Right Wing , CAM and Striker so far. He's been plague with injury for years (which probably stopped him from going to the very top) but since CC has come in, he's been simply outstanding and one of the first names on the team sheet by the look of things.

I thought he did o.k. when he was playing for us

• 1 month later...

Keeping in with my Stuart Armstrong love-in, he seems to be in quite a bit of form just now. Regular starter (perhaps the most consistent run he has had for quite a wee while), scoring goals at club level (another against Blackburn yesterday) and who can forget his tenacity and nutmeg on his way to scoring against Norway. If squad for the Euros were to be picked now he would be a definite and a likely starter v Germany I reckon.

Armstrong is a quality, classy player -  well underrated by the Tartan Army as a whole from what I've seen. He didn't play loads in 2023 (233 mins, 24% of available minutes) even although he was always available. The first game against Germany might not really be that well suited to a player who has more attacking strengths than defensive, but I wouldn't have any issue if he started that game or any game really. 

image.png.32c8411bcc6ef40722343f8920ee53c3.png

He was really decent when starting against Ukraine and Ireland at home in the Nations League if you want to go back that far. I think it'll come down to the type of game we are looking to play and who suits it better to be honest.

McGinn, McTominay and McGregor will all start that game barring injuries, and you'd say that Gilmour is likely to be in there too. That leaves you starting to run out of places for any other midfield players, and Christie is absolutely flying at a level above Armstrong too.