Scots in the Championship 2023/24

Aye that Southampton goal was from last season in an FA cup tie. 

It's great to see that he's playing regularly and well for Southampton. He's a fantastic squad player for us, but as CraigKillie says he's not a starter in front of the aforementioned.

It always looks to me like he could lose a few kilos too.

16 hours ago, GuyIncognito said:

3 goals in 4 games for Tommy Conway now at Bristol City. Regular with the U21s. Worth promoting him to the main squad for the March friendlies?

Two of Conway's goals were penalties and it has taken him more minutes per goal than Nisbet or Shankland. I'd keep an eye on Conway, see if he can maintain or improve his 'form' across a longer period. He's probably on Steve Clarke's radar and has already trained with the first team back in June. He's still in the maybe pile for me.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.56380e302d5d1ea4fa435996c0f4bf15.png

Main thing Conway has on his side is age, in that he's relatively fresh out of the box at 21. That doesn't really mean anything of great substance though other than we can hope he's got a ceiling higher than the other current contenders have. Hope, of course, is not a strategy, but when has that ever stopped us? 😄

Anyway, here's hoping for a goal glut from Conway or any of the other guys 🤞🏻

Ryan Fraser seems like a very good impact sub option, four goals and two assists despite barely starting a game. 

Che picking up his fifth of the season too, which isn’t bad given his lack of game time. 

Lyndon and QPR continuing to struggle, unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

Ryan Fraser seems like a very good impact sub option, four goals and two assists despite barely starting a game. 

Che picking up his fifth of the season too, which isn’t bad given his lack of game time. 

Lyndon and QPR continuing to struggle, unfortunately. 

Probably our best hope of having someone like that to take

But tbh I’ve no idea who he’d replace 

5 minutes ago, MarkoP said:

Probably our best hope of having someone like that to take

But tbh I’ve no idea who he’d replace 

My thoughts exactly - he is probably the only midfielder we have that you could class as an impact sub in terms of him being able to change things with his pace and directness. 

If you took eight defenders to cover the five places, you could fit him in without removing any of the usual midfielder guys (except Jack) I’m not sure if Clarke would only want to take eight defenders though. 

5 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

My thoughts exactly - he is probably the only midfielder we have that you could class as an impact sub in terms of him being able to change things with his pace and directness. 

If you took eight defenders to cover the five places, you could fit him in without removing any of the usual midfielder guys (except Jack) I’m not sure if Clarke would only want to take eight defenders though. 

I take it we’re removing Jack anyway, we really don’t need him and MacTominay and MacLean are there as emergency defenders 

Attacking options are our glaring weakness 

4 minutes ago, MarkoP said:

I take it we’re removing Jack anyway, we really don’t need him and MacTominay and MacLean are there as emergency defenders 

Attacking options are our glaring weakness 

Jack will almost certainly go if fit IMO. Clarke won’t drop him from the squad now.

Good to see Fraser regain some form, going the right way about trying to force his way back into the squad. 

Edited by JagsCG

1 minute ago, JagsCG said:

Jack will almost certainly go if fit IMO. Clarke won’t drop him from the squad now.

Good to see Fraser regain some form, going the right way about trying to force his way back into the squad. 

It’s a different set of parameters though.

It’s a squad for a tournament, the aim is to go as far as you can in that tournament before an opponent knocks you out. Hopefully that is going to involve a knockout round match.

Ask yourself who is more valuable in that scenario?

We have options to do a Ryan Jack type job,

We have literally nobody else to add what an on form Ryan Fraser could in a deadlocked situation with ten 15 to go

19 minutes ago, MarkoP said:

It’s a different set of parameters though.

It’s a squad for a tournament, the aim is to go as far as you can in that tournament before an opponent knocks you out. Hopefully that is going to involve a knockout round match.

Ask yourself who is more valuable in that scenario?

We have options to do a Ryan Jack type job,

We have literally nobody else to add what an on form Ryan Fraser could in a deadlocked situation with ten 15 to go

I don’t particularly disagree with what you say, I just don’t see Clarke leaving out Jack if he’s fit and available to go. It would be uncharacteristic in terms of the way he usually picks the squad, appreciate you say that a tournament squad is different in this respect but I suspect Clarke will remain loyal to his idea of continuity (as best as possible) within the squad. Jack is a player who could well fade out of the set up post-Euros. 

Steve Clarke is loyal, but only to a point (see Liam Palmer). Our average squad size over the last number of years is above 23 and so squad regulars will definitely miss out. Ryan Jack has always been selected when available. 

There will be a range of factors affecting selection. Fans don't have the full picture. We can argue back and forth, but there is information to support either position.

15 hours ago, JagsCG said:

I don’t particularly disagree with what you say, I just don’t see Clarke leaving out Jack if he’s fit and available to go. It would be uncharacteristic in terms of the way he usually picks the squad, appreciate you say that a tournament squad is different in this respect but I suspect Clarke will remain loyal to his idea of continuity (as best as possible) within the squad. Jack is a player who could well fade out of the set up post-Euros. 

That’s a very big ‘if’.

I'm not really seeing these loads of other options for Ryan Jack's role, he's still more or less the only purely defensive-minded midfielder we regularly call up. There's a question about whether we really need one given we don't usually pick one when we play the back three, but he does give us a bit of another option in terms of protecting the defence if we have a four.

3 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I'm not really seeing these loads of other options for Ryan Jack's role, he's still more or less the only purely defensive-minded midfielder we regularly call up. There's a question about whether we really need one given we don't usually pick one when we play the back three, but he does give us a bit of another option in terms of protecting the defence if we have a four.

Jay Fulton could do a job pretty constantly good at Swansea and the same age but has been over looked he us a capable holding midfielder getting regular football each week maybe not a hot young prospect but a guy that wouldn't let us down