Another team resigns! Seen today a well known and established team Dunoon AFC have folded.

Beetlejucie

9 hours ago, Brad Bobley said:

Parkhall resigning at the end of the season. Another gone from SPAFA.

They'll be struggling to have more than one division at this rate.

Couple of U19 teams in the Scottish Premier AFA disappeared now as well - Glasgow Athletic and Cumbernauld Colts.

Kinross has folded in the Kingdom of Fife AFA.

The summer amateur leagues have started up again in the North.

Inverness & District now down to 26 teams (8-9-9), with a new team in Kirkhill, Culbokie returning, and Loch Ness merging to form Balloan/Loch Ness.
Caithness up to 15 (8-7) with the return of Halkirk.
North West Sutherland a single division of 10 (with the return of Embo) - a new team, Mallard, will play in the cup competitions only.
Shetland is again 19 clubs (7-12).
Orkney is down to 19 clubs (7-5, with a reserve division of 7 clubs) - Streamline and Kirkwall Accies Reserves not there this season.
Lewis & Harris is the same single division of 9 clubs.
Uist & Barra is the same (single division of 6 clubs).
West Highland League is the same (single division of 8 clubs).
Arran is the same (single division of 3 clubs - unaffiliated to SAFA).

3 minutes ago, scotscores said:

Couple of U19 teams in the Scottish Premier AFA disappeared now as well - Glasgow Athletic and Cumbernauld Colts.

Kinross has folded in the Kingdom of Fife AFA.

The summer amateur leagues have started up again in the North.

Inverness & District now down to 26 teams (8-9-9), with a new team in Kirkhill, Culbokie returning, and Loch Ness merging to form Balloan/Loch Ness.
Caithness up to 15 (8-7) with the return of Halkirk.
North West Sutherland a single division of 10 (with the return of Embo) - a new team, Mallard, will play in the cup competitions only.
Shetland is again 19 clubs (7-12).
Orkney is down to 19 clubs (7-5, with a reserve division of 7 clubs) - Streamline and Kirkwall Accies Reserves not there this season.
Lewis & Harris is the same single division of 9 clubs.
Uist & Barra is the same (single division of 6 clubs).
West Highland League is the same (single division of 8 clubs).
Arran is the same (single division of 3 clubs - unaffiliated to SAFA).

Kyle aren't entering a team into the West Highland this year so it's down to 7

Just now, Pollok mad said:

Kyle aren't entering a team into the West Highland this year so it's down to 7

Thanks - I'd overlooked that - I try my best to check eery week which teams are folding/sitting out the season so I can remove them from my rankings, but I often miss something due to the number of leagues!

22 minutes ago, PB1234 said:

Neilston Cardross and eddlewood have been accepted into the Greater Glasgow for next season

Greater Glasgow along with the Caledonian League look like a rareity in bucking the trend. Greater Glasgow I think clearly the second strongest league in the West/Central area behind the Caledonian League.

Heard the Scottish premier will be 17 teams just the 1 division I feel the greater glasgow allows teams to either grow or build there teams up in there set up instead of it being 1 division which will be dominated by 1 or 2 teams 

On 23/04/2024 at 17:48, Amateur Footie Fan said:

Greater Glasgow along with the Caledonian League look like a rareity in bucking the trend. Greater Glasgow I think clearly the second strongest league in the West/Central area behind the Caledonian League.

For this season, at least, taking into account only the top divisions of each league, the Scottish Premier AFA is the strongest league, with the Caledonian and Saturday Morning both being better than the Greater Glasgow Premier.  Of course, things look like changing next season, but there are still a number of very decent teams in the SPAFA.  6 of the Top 10 teams in my Scottish Amateur rankings are from the SPAFA (2 from their Championship - Steins and Greenock HSFP).  GGP only has 3 teams in the Top 50, with EKRR being the highest at 25, and currently has 7 reserve teams of SPAFA and Caledonian clubs in its 30-club membership.

Edited by scotscores

9 hours ago, scotscores said:

For this season, at least, taking into account only the top divisions of each league, the Scottish Premier AFA is the strongest league, with the Caledonian and Saturday Morning both being better than the Greater Glasgow Premier.  Of course, things look like changing next season, but there are still a number of very decent teams in the SPAFA.  6 of the Top 10 teams in my Scottish Amateur rankings are from the SPAFA (2 from their Championship - Steins and Greenock HSFP).  GGP only has 3 teams in the Top 50, with EKRR being the highest at 25, and currently has 7 reserve teams of SPAFA and Caledonian clubs in its 30-club membership.

I would expect your algorithm would take the Caledonian First Division up to the top three divisions next season?

17 hours ago, scotscores said:

Surely the Cale First Division next season could arguably be better than the Premier? Definitely looks like the SPAFA are only building to suit the younger U19s teams etc. 

Only 16 league games for the Premier this season and it’s not looking good for next season. 

13 hours ago, Brad Bobley said:

I would expect your algorithm would take the Caledonian First Division up to the top three divisions next season?

That is entirely possible - I have Drumchapel (joined from Central AFL for start of season) as the best Caledonian team this season, despite them being in the 1st Division.  Any other teams coming from the Scottish Premier AFA would retain their rankings points going into the Caledonian 1st, and thus bolster that league's ranking considerably.

21 hours ago, scotscores said:

That is entirely possible - I have Drumchapel (joined from Central AFL for start of season) as the best Caledonian team this season, despite them being in the 1st Division.  Any other teams coming from the Scottish Premier AFA would retain their rankings points going into the Caledonian 1st, and thus bolster that league's ranking considerably.

It's strange that Drum Ams would be rated as the top Caledonian Team when they aren't even guaranteed to win promotion from the Caledonian First Division this season. Dunipace have run away with the league and Westerlands have a great chance of finishing 2nd leaving Drum 3rd in what is an average Caley First Division League.

Whatever the outcome, I don’t fancy trying to gain promotion for the Caley 1st next season: Drum/Westerlands, St Pat’s, Gartcosh, Campsie Minerva and Bannockburn all fighting for two promotion spots with honourable mentions to Alva, Stenhousemuir, Glasgow Uni and (likely) Milton, the latter four would normally expect to be involved in a title race but will probably find themselves struggling to get out of the division for a few years. 

Regarding the Drum, their league position probably isn’t reflective of their actual abilities due to the fixture backlog and playing a bit of catch up. Apart from surprise defeats to Alva and Glasgow Uni, they’ve still had quite a strong season and performed relatively well in the National and District comps.

Apologies for further derailing the thread.

On 23/04/2024 at 18:48, PB1234 said:

Heard the Scottish premier will be 17 teams just the 1 division I feel the greater glasgow allows teams to either grow or build there teams up in there set up instead of it being 1 division which will be dominated by 1 or 2 teams 

Another team from SPAFL championship moving to greater Glasgow, not sure if that was already known about

1 hour ago, Amateur Footie Fan said:

Is that SPAFA down to 16 teams next season??

Another poster said three teams (including Eddlewood) are moving to the Greater Glasgow. With FC Pather joining, that puts the Scottish Premier AFL at 15 teams next season as things stand.

1 hour ago, stanley said:

Another poster said three teams (including Eddlewood) are moving to the Greater Glasgow. With FC Pather joining, that puts the Scottish Premier AFL at 15 teams next season as things stand.

That's shocking if true.  Got to be only 1 division next season. I've said it before GGPL going from strength to strength and Calie clearly best league in the the west next season. Can see other SPAFA teams going to both of these leagues and it becoming just a 19s league. Sad to see.