Another team resigns! Seen today a well known and established team Dunoon AFC have folded.

Beetlejucie

3 hours ago, Crazy Feet said:

I'm pretty sure OBC beat St Joe's 3-1. First half was a very tight game with St Joe's being on top for the most of it but OBC scored at the right times in the game.

The poster you quote seems to have a massive bee in his bonnet with The Caley for some reason.

I watched this one, St Joe’s were slightly the better side in the first half but Obc ran out comfortable winners in the second half. The St Joe’s player got sent off late on after losing the plot, probably down to how Obc dominated them after half time

• 4 weeks later...
On 02/05/2024 at 10:53, Brad Bobley said:

SPAFA confirmed teams for next season (15):

Castlemilk OBC

Steins Thistle

Greenock HSFP

Oban Saints

Chryston

Arthurlie

Harestanes

Pather

Port Glasgow

Inverclyde

Baljaffray

Kings Park Rangers

Glenvale Carlton

Port Glasgow OBU

BSC Glasgow

-

Caley confirmed teams:

Premier

Wishaw Wycombe Wanderers

St Joseph's

East Kilbride YM

Saint Mungo

Doune Castle

Giffnock North

Dunipace

Dumbarton Academy FP

Glasgow Harp

Strathclyde University/Milton

Drumchapel/Westerlands

Eaglesham

First

Westerlands/Drumchapel

Milton/Strathclyde University

Alva

Stenhousemuir Community

Rhu

Glasgow University

Rothesay Brandanes

Riverside

Stirling University

Cambusbarron Rovers

Cambria

Callander Thistle

St Patrick's FP

Bannockburn

Gartcosh Utd

Campsie Minerva

All kidding aside (please don't take it personal Auld Yin Wae Knowledge) but I had a look at the SPAFL Web site. The 4 teams moving to the Calie league next season finished 1st, 3rd, 4th & 5th in the SPAFL Premier Div. With SPAFL losing Arthurlie tonight it appears they're down to 14 BEFORE the usual summer/pre season issues where teams don't get the players back, struggle and fold. 14 teams is a huge drop from two leagues joining together (Central & SAFL) last season. The Calie appears to have 28 teams with 12 Premier and 16 First Division. It is genuinely gutting to see leagues who had strong reputations struggle to the point they might not be here at the end of next season. The GGPL and Calie are strengthening and I wouldn't be surprised to see the better SPAFL teams move to the Calie next season and the remainder going to the GGPL. Time will tell but its not looking good.

21 hours ago, Amateur Footie Fan said:

All kidding aside (please don't take it personal Auld Yin Wae Knowledge) but I had a look at the SPAFL Web site. The 4 teams moving to the Calie league next season finished 1st, 3rd, 4th & 5th in the SPAFL Premier Div. With SPAFL losing Arthurlie tonight it appears they're down to 14 BEFORE the usual summer/pre season issues where teams don't get the players back, struggle and fold. 14 teams is a huge drop from two leagues joining together (Central & SAFL) last season. The Calie appears to have 28 teams with 12 Premier and 16 First Division. It is genuinely gutting to see leagues who had strong reputations struggle to the point they might not be here at the end of next season. The GGPL and Calie are strengthening and I wouldn't be surprised to see the better SPAFL teams move to the Calie next season and the remainder going to the GGPL. Time will tell but its not looking good.

Will not take it personally yes it a blow to lose those teams your mention but you numbers playing next season as of today are wrong and if you add the under 19's & 21's [ 39 teams ] the future is secure  

The Cally Lower Division will lose teams due to being to strong for them with more than likely the Cally reserve league gaining of those that don't fold and based on the summer spree you mentioned sadly effects all leagues not just the league you and crazy heid take great delight in running down .......considering what The SPAL won this season.............................. and the fact the two leagues you guys are in bed with won zitch yes zitch  

1 hour ago, auld yin wae knowledge said:

Will not take it personally yes it a blow to lose those teams your mention but you numbers playing next season as of today are wrong and if you add the under 19's & 21's [ 39 teams ] the future is secure  

The Cally Lower Division will lose teams due to being to strong for them with more than likely the Cally reserve league gaining of those that don't fold and based on the summer spree you mentioned sadly effects all leagues not just the league you and crazy heid take great delight in running down .......considering what The SPAL won this season.............................. and the fact the two leagues you guys are in bed with won zitch yes zitch  

To say I take great delight is not correct. You can choose not to believe me but I have played in all 3 leagues, Calie, Central and SAFL and held all 3 in high regard. Re how many teams can you shed a light on how many will be in the SPAL next season if the numbers muted on here are incorrect? I have actually complimented the league for their 19s leagues which has been superb and looks really strong. Re the 21s I was waiting to see what clubs were in it as Joe Noon announced months ago they would name the 21s clubs imminently and nothing has been posted??? Re the summer issues I accept all leagues have the same problems but when you're starting with 28 teams it's maybe easier to deal with than starting with 13 or 14 and losing 1 or 2 teams. I take on board your point about SPAL v Calie in terms of the big cups and SPAL did much better.  I think that's a fair point but I also think it's a fair point to say its unlikely to be the same next season, but again it's a matter of opinion. 

3 hours ago, auld yin wae knowledge said:

Still find it absolutely baffling that there is still under 21 football. Why are they teams not playing in the amateur league at that age. 

10 hours ago, Gazzah said:

Still find it absolutely baffling that there is still under 21 football. Why are they teams not playing in the amateur league at that age. 

Absolutely agree. A lot of ‘senior’ amateur teams currently have a contingent of 17, 18, 19 and 20 year olds. A few of them are absolute gems as well. Granted not everybody will be ‘good enough’ or developed enough, but I would expect that’s probably where 19s and 20s should come in.

13 hours ago, auld yin wae knowledge said:

Just to add to the other post, when are the full list of 19s/21s going to be announced? Fair play to yous for getting all the young teams on board but it is a bit of a fall from grace to a degree, no? To lose four of your five best teams to a ‘rival’ league and to boast about 19s/21s seems a bit misguided.

I just can’t see a world where Castlemilk, Steins and Greenock are still there for the 25/26 season. I fully expect the ‘lesser’ teams in SPAFA will go to the GGP (a less condescending description for the league rather than the ‘Caley Reserve League’), a league which, of course, produced a Scottish Cup Finalist this season. Only a matter of time before Steins go to the EoS, with the others probably going to the Caley. 
Would hazard a guess that by 2027, the GGP and Caley will be the only two adult afternoon leagues in the West Central region. S&D clubs will go to LEAFA/Caley; SPAFA to Caley/GGP.

Politics aside, and not the way it should’ve went, but all Saturday afternoon needs to be under the name banner sooner rather than later. This is the beginning of that shift.

To go back to my first point and the mention 39 teams, it appears to be 14 adult teams and then 25 youth teams. If that’s not the case with only 14 adult teams, then you guys really need to get your social media promotions improved immediately because everyone, including prospective teams, is expecting that you’re falling off the edge of a cliff, which is not an enticing environment to be attracting said teams.

The Caley will lose teams - every league will - all clubs are fairly established with a reasonably successful history/reputation. You’d expect any candidates would be Cambria and Callander but they’ve both just endured two seasons of hammerings. Yeah, that will probably get much worse, but ultimately just the way it goes sometimes, regardless of results (see Dunblane/Milngavie as examples).

12 hours ago, Gazzah said:

U20s has ended it.

You should be going straight to amateur after that if you're not good enough for Junior or Senior football. 21s is not needed anymore and all it is doing is starving amateur teams of potential talent.

15 hours ago, Brad Bobley said:

Absolutely agree. A lot of ‘senior’ amateur teams currently have a contingent of 17, 18, 19 and 20 year olds. A few of them are absolute gems as well. Granted not everybody will be ‘good enough’ or developed enough, but I would expect that’s probably where 19s and 20s should come in.

Just to add to the other post, when are the full list of 19s/21s going to be announced? Fair play to yous for getting all the young teams on board but it is a bit of a fall from grace to a degree, no? To lose four of your five best teams to a ‘rival’ league and to boast about 19s/21s seems a bit misguided.

I just can’t see a world where Castlemilk, Steins and Greenock are still there for the 25/26 season. I fully expect the ‘lesser’ teams in SPAFA will go to the GGP (a less condescending description for the league rather than the ‘Caley Reserve League’), a league which, of course, produced a Scottish Cup Finalist this season. Only a matter of time before Steins go to the EoS, with the others probably going to the Caley. 
Would hazard a guess that by 2027, the GGP and Caley will be the only two adult afternoon leagues in the West Central region. S&D clubs will go to LEAFA/Caley; SPAFA to Caley/GGP.

Politics aside, and not the way it should’ve went, but all Saturday afternoon needs to be under the name banner sooner rather than later. This is the beginning of that shift.

To go back to my first point and the mention 39 teams, it appears to be 14 adult teams and then 25 youth teams. If that’s not the case with only 14 adult teams, then you guys really need to get your social media promotions improved immediately because everyone, including prospective teams, is expecting that you’re falling off the edge of a cliff, which is not an enticing environment to be attracting said teams.

The Caley will lose teams - every league will - all clubs are fairly established with a reasonably successful history/reputation. You’d expect any candidates would be Cambria and Callander but they’ve both just endured two seasons of hammerings. Yeah, that will probably get much worse, but ultimately just the way it goes sometimes, regardless of results (see Dunblane/Milngavie as examples).

One thing I would agree with is the disrespect shown to the GGPL by Auld Yin Wae Knowledge. A league that goes about its business quietly but effectively, didn't get involved in any amalgamations (maybe that's the motivation??), just provided a well run league for up and coming teams and also a good few well established teams. I haven't seen anyone coming on who appear to be connected to their league taking swipes at other leagues or blowing their own trumpet. So I think it's a bit unfair to be having cheap digs at them for being successful.

On 07/06/2024 at 09:40, Crazy Feet said:

U20s has ended it.

You should be going straight to amateur after that if you're not good enough for Junior or Senior football. 21s is not needed anymore and all it is doing is starving amateur teams of potential talent.

I can see where you are coming from tbh but you will have seen some players at under 21 who are all the man they're going to be but others who are still kids. I think some boys benefit from playing against their own age group and some who benefit from playing with and against adults. Plenty of boys play ammy who are under 21 so I suppose I'm saying it maybe serves a purpose.

On 29/10/2023 at 17:08, cmontheloknow said:

My local amateur team, Lochgilphead Red Star, resigned from the Scottish Premier AFA a few weeks back. I haven't spoken directly to anyone involved about it, but I understand from speaking to people around and about that it boiled down to the two main threats to a club's existence - people to run the club after those that had been doing so took a step back, and people to turn up to play, especially following the loss of some players over the summer.

There was also the issue of Red Star going from the weak SAFL where they were strong to the top division of the new set-up and finding themselves losing heavily a few times in the opening games. That led to occasions where a team could not be raised. All of the above compiled led to the decision to fold for 2023-24.

Tarbert had taken time out from the SAFL a few years back and tried to come back last season without luck. They switched to the Greater Glasgow set-up and seem to be doing ok for now.

I understand Red Star will return, but where?

Lochgilphead Red Star will be back next season, accepted into the Greater Glasgow League, excellent news. 

8 hours ago, List_of_Jericho said:

Lochgilphead Red Star will be back next season, accepted into the Greater Glasgow League, excellent news. 

That's great to hear. Tarbert obviously took a few doings last year and might possibly be on a shoogly peg? I wonder if LRS's resurgence will affect them at all.