Scotland v England 150th year anniversary match

6 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

I said that to my son just before kick off. I thought the German's were always like that but they were of that mould. 

I sit in the South Stand, not too far from the away support and I was embarrassed by certain sections last night. The Harry Kane song, the bottle throwing incident and individual behaviours throughout were not what I have grown used to having followed the national team for over 30 years. I

Spot on, the way they market there game has not been followed by ourselves, and the way the money filters through to grass roots level is also the right way to do things however, although the SFA set up is good and is producing players now, they're 10+ years in front of us and still put money into better facilities and coaching.

Again agreed, I think the SFA need to seriously consider a singing sections or something. The atmosphere has been pretty chronic for some time now. Yes, there have been spells and I do think the DJ stirs it up, but for long times during the game, the place is flat.

Yep. That's what I started thinking. They were playing like a unit, a machine, just like Germany. Robots.

3 hours ago, Stevie Kirk said:

Of course they were. I was responding to the poster who said that England fans were making proportionally more noise throughout the match and that the atmosphere amongst the Scotland fans was flat throughout .

The point I was making in response was that England fans were singing away ( easy to give it big licks with a two goal cushion) until we got within a goal of them then they all went quiet.  Of course it all started again after Kane scored and they knew we weren’t going to equalise. 

in other words crowds respond to what’s happening on the pitch. 

I wasn't really commenting on the fact they were singing/not singing, it was more the fact they were still winning, no matter whether they were singing or not. Maybe not the most important point on this thread, right enough.

1 hour ago, Kevin Finnerty said:

Don't think it can really be overstated how pathetic it is to wring your hands about mocking the death of a woman whose last noteworthy act was paying off the victims of her nonce son to protect him from any form of consequence whatsoever.

Add to the above that this old woman throughout her life increased her family's already vast wealth even compared to her father's efforts. She also lobbied various British governments through her life so that her families wealth and status was maintained.

3 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

Probably up to or around the Dick Advocatt era, which is 'recent' to me. 

It was the mid 90s that I became aware of them supporting England 

Even singing anti Scotland songs at times, cheer up craig brown

Pathetic 

1 hour ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Once more for the binary thinkers on here, i do not care for the monarchy or any of its members, however i can make my feelings on that perfectly clear without getting pissed and revelling in someone's death at a football game.

Oh aye, the Prince Andrew songs were equally cringeworthy.  

Totally agree.  If folk really want to agitate against the monarchy - and I'm all for that - then they should consider joining Republic and taking it seriously rather than turn-up at Hampden hauf-jaked and acting like dicks from the 1970's.

Only one of these will likely bring results.

22 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Totally agree.  If folk really want to agitate against the monarchy - and I'm all for that - then they should consider joining Republic and taking it seriously rather than turn-up at Hampden hauf-jaked and acting like dicks from the 1970's.

Surely you can do both 

22 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

People are free to do either or both as far as I care. I think it's fair game to disrespect the monarchy in whatever noisy, disruptive way you feel like without having to follow the Proper Channels and get a card printed up first. 

59 minutes ago, pub car king said:

Apologies for linking the sun, however the heads gone from this is immense. 

Screenshot_20230913_181427_X.jpg

Rupert Murdoch is a p***k and his imminent death should be celebrated. Hopefully not in song version at Scotland games so that we don’t upset the exact folk he has been ripping the pish out of for near on 40ish years. Actually, f**k it, somebody write a song. One of the most evil men still (just) alive.

30 minutes ago, Kevin Finnerty said:

People are free to do either or both as far as I care. I think it's fair game to disrespect the monarchy in whatever noisy, disruptive way you feel like without having to follow the Proper Channels and get a card printed up first. 

I occasionally find myself at events where GSTK is played/sung.  As I'm not a monarchist I stand in silence as a percentage of those around me sing their heart out.  As you rightly point out, people are free to choose what they do, including myself.

What I don't do though is boo, and I'll bet that away from the Hampden herd very few of those doing it last night would either in such a situation.

7 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I occasionally find myself at events where GSTK is played/sung.  As I'm not a monarchist I stand in silence as a percentage of those around me sing their heart out.  As you rightly point out, people are free to choose what they do, including myself.

What I don't do though is boo, and I'll bet that away from the Hampden herd very few of those doing it last night would either in such a situation.

Most people wouldn’t shout (obscenities or otherwise) at people in the street either, but they do at football.

If we really took a step back, booing a national anthem is hell of a lot more respectful than the way many football fans single out match officials and specific players for abuse that is wholly unacceptable in any other walk of life.

I didn’t/don’t boo anthems, but I can’t get at all animated by it because it’s hugely inconsistent to have an issue with that, but not with the much more personal (and far less political) chanting/yelling/abuse that happens at football across every level every weekend. 

I had more of a problem with the jovial winding up of Maguire last night than the drowning out of the anthem, and only because we’re suddenly on the same side as the crass moronic pundits and fans that have long since overstepped the mark with him. Southgate dealt with it well, but if we’re measuring damage/offence by the actual impact it has, there’s only ever one clear ‘winner’.

6 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Most people wouldn’t shout (obscenities or otherwise) at people in the street either, but they do at football.

If we really took a step back, booing a national anthem is hell of a lot more respectful than the way many football fans single out match officials and specific players for abuse that is wholly unacceptable in any other walk of life.

I didn’t/don’t boo anthems, but I can’t get at all animated by it because it’s hugely inconsistent to have an issue with that, but not with the much more personal (and far less political) chanting/yelling/abuse that happens at football across every level every weekend. 

I had more of a problem with the jovial winding up of Maguire last night than the drowning out of the anthem, and only because we’re suddenly on the same side as the crass moronic pundits and fans that have long since overstepped the mark with him. Southgate dealt with it well, but if we’re measuring damage/offence by the actual impact it has, there’s only ever one clear ‘winner’.

I don’t have as much of an issue with the ‘ole’ every time Maguire got the ball last night from the Scottish fans. It is the sort of banter football players should expect and some players get much worse. He ended up on the winning side so had the last laugh. 

I did have issues with the Harry Kane song, as much as I dislike him, he is the type of player I would love playing for my team. But that song is embarrassing and a sad throwback to the sort of thing I would’ve heard in my childhood back in the 70s/80s.

9 hours ago, Kevin Finnerty said:

Remember when Kurt Zouma was caught on camera abusing his cat and when they brought it up on sky sports Graeme Souness said the sentence "for me the cat did nothing wrong".

Thanks for bringing this up. Whenever it gets mentioned, I go on YouTube and listen to the clip at least five times in succession. Sometimes it will just pop into my mind randomly and I’ll be compelled to seek it out. It is incredible stuff and genuinely one of the most hilarious lines I have heard on TV in recent times. 

The thing about booing the national anthem isn’t a Scotland v England debate it’s largely about our strange obsession in the U.K. with meaningless gestures and symbolism.

Whilst the booing obviously upsets a lot of rangers fans a lot of rangers fans would have been doing the booing in the stadium and know it’s just a bit of banter. The people taking real offence to it are those who share meaningful political memes on Facebook, overly indulged in clapping the nhs during lockdowns and singled out people who weren’t taking the knee for BLM. It’s all meaningless shite. Scotland fans will get FOS bood at Wembley and nobody will care.

The Harry Kane chants are out of order, the Scotland fans goading McGuire is fine but the England fans abuse of him is poor. 

Songs about posh spices anus have been completely above board for 20+ years now and still remain relevant imo.