Injuries

A positive from today: Robertson was interviewed and said that Doak trained with the squad today. He was talking him up and said it was as if he hadn’t been away so maybe he’ll be in contention for some mins vs Gibraltar.

4 hours ago, HoBNob said:

On a personal note I'm gutted for Dykes, he has played a part in our improvement over the past few years and deserved his spot on the plane. 

However, I don't think it's exactly a tragedy with regards to our chances in the tournament. It seemed to be the consensus on here that Dykes should start against Germany and I found it maddening, he's been poor this season for a poor QPR side, he was absolutely rotten against Northern Ireland but he was going to turn it on against Germany? Gies peace. I doubt you'd find a single Hearts or Southampton fan who'd swap Shankland/Adams for Dykes. And despite that we'd be opening the tournament with him. 

I'll be far happier with Adams/Shankland up top.

Maybe so, but he is a talisman for us. He’s scored seven times in games that we’ve won by a single goal. 

Whilst Adams and Shankland are more rounded strikers, they don’t possess any attributes that can unsettle top centre halves like Dykes’ physicality and aerial ability can. He’d definitely be a big loss to the squad, even if he wasn’t going to start every game.

53 minutes ago, allyo said:

Maybe if he was good enough for this level he would be starting ahead of the likes of Dykes regularly?

I'm not so sure about that, Conway has out scored him past two seasons at club level in the same league despite only just breaking through

Clarke called up Conway to a pre-camp (Jun-23). If Dykes doesn't make it and assuming Brown's unavailable McBurnie, Nisbet and Stewart have all played in a Clarke team. 

On the one hand, McBurnie and Stewart might be able to play a similar role to Dykes. On the other hand, Clarke said the 21's are the standy group, so perhaps Conway.

Not ideal, especially if this forces our hand in terms of how our strategy, but there are options who aren't new to the Scotland setup.

Conway, given that he's scored 19 Championship goals in the previous two seasons, should've been in the original provisional squad.

As for Ross Stewart. No. He hasn't played regularly since the 22/23 season and only played 3 league matches this season.

I don't see anyone being drafted in as a replacement if it's a serious one.

Apparently, Ryan Jack injured Dykes. Damn. No doubt Jack will be feeling like crap.

Talking of Jack. He's just been released by Rangers. Also, Cooper has been released by Leeds.

Dont want to hear any nonsese about AI generated players like Tommy Conway, get Simon Murray on that plane.  

1 minute ago, Jives Miguel said:

Stewart and McBurnie the most similar styles of play 

Stewart is nothing like Dykes.  He just happens to be tall. 

3 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

Stewart and McBurnie the most similar styles of play 

Neither of them play anything like Dykes does.