Falkirk vs Stirling

10 hours ago, StewartyMac said:

Well, that was utterly appalling. 

No fight, no energy, no gameplan. Falkirk played well, particularly in the first half, but they are such a one dimensional team in that almost every attack follows the same basic pattern and yet we still couldnae lay a glove on them. Of course, us having an energy sapping cup tie on Friday night and Falkirk having an extended break was a factor, but there's absolutely no excuse from some of the woeful passing and decision making on display there. 

No-one really played well for us, but at least Lewis Milne put in a half decent shift, and the keeper was blameless for the goals. A real off night, and its frustrating it had to be against them, the team I hate losing to more than any other.  The next game between the sides at Forthbank should be pretty tasty now, I can't see us playing as poorly as that again. 

Incidentally, I've not seen any highlights - but for the penalty in the first half - The handball looked to have been committed by the Falkirk player, can anyone clarify? Not that it matters of course. 

BIG improvement needed for Saturday at home to Kelty. This team has rightly received a lot of praise recently, but that was completely honking tonight. 

Was very much a one dimensional pumping x

As John McGlynn says, it's important not to get carried away. We've had so many false dawns in recent seasosn that it was turning into perpetual darkness! We were good last night, but we need to maintain that, focus in every game and take nothing for granted. I hate all this talk about 'routine wins' and 'standard victories' and the like. We can't afford to have the players thinking this way or we may well get some egg on our faces!

If we apply ourselves properly and start (and finish) the way we started against Stirling we'll win on Saturday, but it'll take effort and application from everyone.

13 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

As John McGlynn says, it's important not to get carried away. We've had so many false dawns in recent seasosn that it was turning into perpetual darkness! We were good last night, but we need to maintain that, focus in every game and take nothing for granted. I hate all this talk about 'routine wins' and 'standard victories' and the like. We can't afford to have the players thinking this way or we may well get some egg on our faces!

If we apply ourselves properly and start (and finish) the way we started against Stirling we'll win on Saturday, but it'll take effort and application from everyone.

Couldn’t agree more, enjoy the win but keep our feet on the ground and the same applies when there is a slip up or a 0-0 half time scoreline ect for the fans not to overreact negatively. There are no routine wins or teams we should be swatting aside in this division as some seem to think, in most games we will probably start as favourites but that dose not mean the opposition won’t make it extremely difficult and every win we get we’ll have to work for. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

10 hours ago, StewartyMac said:

Well, that was utterly appalling. 

No fight, no energy, no gameplan. Falkirk played well, particularly in the first half, but they are such a one dimensional team in that almost every attack follows the same basic pattern and yet we still couldnae lay a glove on them. Of course, us having an energy sapping cup tie on Friday night and Falkirk having an extended break was a factor, but there's absolutely no excuse from some of the woeful passing and decision making on display there. 

No-one really played well for us, but at least Lewis Milne put in a half decent shift, and the keeper was blameless for the goals. A real off night, and its frustrating it had to be against them, the team I hate losing to more than any other.  The next game between the sides at Forthbank should be pretty tasty now, I can't see us playing as poorly as that again. 

Incidentally, I've not seen any highlights - but for the penalty in the first half - The handball looked to have been committed by the Falkirk player, can anyone clarify? Not that it matters of course. 

BIG improvement needed for Saturday at home to Kelty. This team has rightly received a lot of praise recently, but that was completely honking tonight. 

We were so 'one dimensional' that we scored three entirely different goals, so not sure where you're getting that from.

I actually thought it was the variety of our play that gave Stirling more problems than anything else.

Sometimes we played it short through the thirds, other times we went long to MacIver. Sometimes we put an early ball in the box, other times we worked the triangles and hit the byline before cutting it back. Sometimes we went straight through the middle, with Agyeman in the 10 where not even he knows what he is going to do a second before he does it. All of which was reflected in the types of goals we scored.

The absolute opposite of 'one-dimensional' imo

Edited by NavyBlueArmy1876

33 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

I only say ‘standard victories’ to match the expectation of this season from everyone connected with the club. 

Edited by Numbers_One_To_Eleven

As comfortable a win as we're going to get this season. Didn't need to get out of second gear in the second half and, apart from the great double save by Long, Albion didn't offer anything. Can only assume it's a bad day at the office for them as they've looked better than that in their previous games based on watching their highlights.

Falkirk, full time team, 10 days rest

Stirling, part time team, 4 days after a lung busting cup tie against a Premiership team. Centre half just off a 12 hour shift, best midfielder missing for family reasons. Only natural right back still injured. 

You do the maths. 

That, however, doesn't excuse some of the woeful passing and decision making on display. Falkirk will never have an easier game all season. Be a different story at Forthbank in October. I can see that being a bit fruity 🤣

3 minutes ago, StewartyMac said:

Stirling, part time team, 4 days after a lung busting cup tie against a Premiership team. Centre half just off a 12 hour shift, best midfielder missing for family reasons. Only natural right back still injured. 

You do the maths. 

That, however, doesn't excuse some of the woeful passing and decision making on display. Falkirk will never have an easier game all season. Be a different story at Forthbank in October. I can see that being a bit fruity 🤣

Good luck for the season pal. 😂

1 hour ago, ShaggerG said:

We were so 'one dimensional' that we scored three entirely different goals, so not sure where you're getting that from.

Oh come on, that’s just your opinion. Spencer drifting across the edge of the SA box to slot away a low left foot shot, a penalty low to the keeper’s right, and a MacIver close range bullet header were near enough identical goals……it’s hard to tell them apart tbh.

To describe them as “different” from one another is just mental. Were you actually there?

Edited by Duncan Freemason

12 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Oh come on, that’s just your opinion. Spencer drifting across the edge of the SA box to slot away a low left foot shot, a penalty low to the keeper’s right, and a MacIver close range bullet header were near enough identical goals……it’s hard to tell them apart tbh.

To describe them as “different” from one another is just mental. Were you actually there?

Taken together the goals constituted the perfect hat-trick by our ... er ... one dimensional, one man team 🤨

35 minutes ago, StewartyMac said:

You do the maths. 

Back in your box you go for a couple months

33 minutes ago, StewartyMac said:

You do the maths. 

Funny how none of the Albion fans on here were posting their concerns before the game!

You we’re pumped by a better team who put in a very strong performance.

Just be grateful you weren’t on the end of a real scudding.

1 hour ago, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:

I only say ‘standard victories’ to match the expectation of this season from everyone connected with the club. 

Wasn't having a go at you specifically. Maybe an unfortunate turn of phrase?

12 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Just be grateful you weren’t on the end of a real scudding.

Could easily have been double figures, don't think any Albion fan would dispute that. 

That said, half the teams in League 2 would have scudded us last night playing like that. We're not the best team in the world, but Darren Young has moulded us into being very hard to beat (was only our 2nd league defeat of 2023), which makes the performance even more perplexing. I've never seen us surrender like that since the Kevin Rutkiwiez days. 

Awful. 

48 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Aye, I was sitting beside a big Beaver!

5 minutes ago, StewartyMac said:

Could easily have been double figures, don't think any Albion fan would dispute that. 

That said, half the teams in League 2 would have scudded us last night playing like that. We're not the best team in the world, but Darren Young has moulded us into being very hard to beat (was only our 2nd league defeat of 2023), which makes the performance even more perplexing. I've never seen us surrender like that since the Kevin Rutkiwiez days. 

Awful. 

I don't think we can underestimate the level of mental and physical exhaustion that Fridays game will have caused. It took a huge amount of effort to stay competitive in that game. A thin squad means an inability to make changes means it was always going to be tough.

For it to be a well rested,full time team they were coming up against just made it harder.

If we are going to throw in a  stinker then maybe it's best in a game we'd probably not expect to get much out of anyway.

If I'd been offered 6 points from first 3 games I'd have taken it.

1 hour ago, StewartyMac said:

You do the maths. 

Definitely the only reasons why the game ended up like it did.