Stenhousemuir -vs- Dumbarton (Saturday 26 August 2023)

The meeting between Stenhousemuir and Dumbarton at Ochilview on Saturday is probably the most exciting game in the SPFL this weekend. Both sides are unbeaten and both come into this encounter off the back of impressive wins against two of the division's more fancied teams. Matches between the Warriors and the Sons last year were generally narrow and dull but with Stevie Farrell looking to play a more expansive and entertaining style of football, I'm hoping we don't have to wait for three or four minutes every time Brett Long takes a free-kick!

With Mikey Anderson back from suspension, I'd bring him straight back into the starting XI. I'd include him at the expense of Nat Wedderburn but I can see James Berry dropping to the bench. Dumbarton have some energetic players in the middle of the park and we have to be able to match them; I'm not sure Wedderburn has the legs to do that. Other than Anderson's inclusion, the team will remain the same as last time out. Our defence looks very settled and our attacking three all played well against East Fife.

How about:

- Matty Aitken -

- Euan O'Reilly - Matty Yates - Ross Taylor -

- Nat Wedderburn - Mikey Anderson -

- Kinlay Bilham - Nicky Jamieson - Gregor Buchanan - Ross Meechan -

- Darren Jamieson -

We've held our own against three decent sides so far and I hope we can do the same on Saturday. I expect Dumbarton to challenge for the title and win would here would really hold us in good stead for the season going forward.

3 hours ago, squeezebox-son said:

Time for agent Buchanan to come good with an OG and a penalty against him.

Tight game but should be a good one hopefully.

To be fair to him, Gregor Buchanan's been excellent since he joined Stenhousemuir. He was outstanding against East Fife on Saturday and didn't lost a single header all match.

How has big Sean been since the swap deal?

44 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

To be fair to him, Gregor Buchanan's been excellent since he joined Stenhousemuir. He was outstanding against East Fife on Saturday and didn't lost a single header all match.

How has big Sean been since the swap deal?

A fairly glaring error at Bonnyrigg aside he's been okay. Absolutely no legs left but with us deploying a back 3 now hopefully he won't be asked to cover as much ground. 

4 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

A fairly glaring error at Bonnyrigg aside he's been okay. Absolutely no legs left but with us deploying a back 3 now hopefully he won't be asked to cover as much ground. 

lovely guy was disappointed when he left but been impressed with buchanan so think we did the better out of the swap

57 minutes ago, Burnsythebinman said:

lovely guy was disappointed when he left but been impressed with buchanan so think we did the better out of the swap

I would agree with that, Gregor always chips in with a few goals too.

Really good player at this level.

1 hour ago, Burnsythebinman said:

Yeah, hard to argue that Buchanan is possibly a better player. What I do think is that Mark Durnan could turn out to be a better acquisition than both.

6 minutes ago, squeezebox-son said:

Yeah, hard to argue that Buchanan is possibly a better player. What I do think is that Mark Durnan could turn out to be a better acquisition than both.

I think Durnan so far has been our best CD for some time..possibly since Andy Graham.Crighton does a decent job and the 2 of them prevented Forfar from routing us in that 1st half.

Any stenny fans know if they will stream the game on Saturday?

Don’t @ me but I’m not fully convinced by Crighton just yet. I really didn’t like the way he dealt with the Bonnyrigg goal and I think he looks a bit clumsy at times. In his defence he has looked fairly solid most of the time but I’m reserving judgement for the time being. That being said I do think the Durnan/Crighton partnership is stronger than the Buchanan/Grant partnership that we finished the season with. I also agree that Crighton looked pretty comfortable in the back 3 we deployed in the 2nd half on Saturday and I think that suits him better.

Big Buchanan was mostly excellent at this level for us, even if he was prone to the odd stinker. His last season in League 1 with us was nothing short of a disaster from start to finish IMHO and I absolutely wanted shot of him after it. I’d probably consider Durnan our Buchanan replacement and Crighton our Grant/Carswell replacement and in the whole I’m happy with it.

On 21/08/2023 at 18:33, lorenzo71 said:

Any stenny fans know if they will stream the game on Saturday?

https://x.com/stenhousemuirfc/status/1694425318461706740?s=46&t=8kQXb1K67H3KHelfQVgD7A

I have no idea how much it costs as you need to buy credits for that website. Our game isn’t actually listed on there as an upcoming live event yet so I’m assuming you have to buy the 7 day pass for 600 credits, whatever that is in real life money terms.

Big yardstick for us tomorrow. Dumbarton have the best squad of players in the division and if you finish above them you will win the league. They made 4 subs last weekend and Declan Byrne and Kalvin Orsi remained on the bench - that's a strength in depth we can only dream of at this moment in time. Taking nothing away from us though our first eleven is strong and it should be a cracking game.

Farrell seems to have landed on a 3-5-2 which I think will suit Dumbarton better. It kind of goes against what was worked on pre-season, and 'Farrell's new expansive' style', from the outside looking in, but I am sure that won't matter to Dumbarton fans if it works out. It will give them an extra body in central midfield which has to be a slight worry for us as we could be overrun in there (I'm looking at you Finlay Gray) but it will create it's own problems for Dumbarton in other parts of the pitch.  On the assumption Lynas will play RCB then whoever is playing LCB out of Durnan/Crighton could be exposed by the pace and running power of Ross Taylor if we can work that area correctly.

Should be a tight game as neither team concede many. I'll go 3-0 Stenhousemuir with Ross Taylor and Matty Aitken adding to a brace from Matty Yates.

As always a physical fight is on offer to all Dumbarton fans. PM me for details.

54 minutes ago, Neilly said:

Big yardstick for us tomorrow. Dumbarton have the best squad of players in the division and if you finish above them you will win the league. They made 4 subs last weekend and Declan Byrne and Kalvin Orsi remained on the bench - that's a strength in depth we can only dream of at this moment in time. Taking nothing away from us though our first eleven is strong and it should be a cracking game.

Farrell seems to have landed on a 3-5-2 which I think will suit Dumbarton better. It kind of goes against what was worked on pre-season, and 'Farrell's new expansive' style', from the outside looking in, but I am sure that won't matter to Dumbarton fans if it works out. It will give them an extra body in central midfield which has to be a slight worry for us as we could be overrun in there (I'm looking at you Finlay Gray) but it will create it's own problems for Dumbarton in other parts of the pitch.  On the assumption Lynas will play RCB then whoever is playing LCB out of Durnan/Crighton could be exposed by the pace and running power of Ross Taylor if we can work that area correctly.

Should be a tight game as neither team concede many. I'll go 3-0 Stenhousemuir with Ross Taylor and Matty Aitken adding to a brace from Matty Yates.

As always a physical fight is on offer to all Dumbarton fans. PM me for details.

malcolm-tucker-solid-fuck.gif

9 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

https://x.com/stenhousemuirfc/status/1694425318461706740?s=46&t=8kQXb1K67H3KHelfQVgD7A

I have no idea how much it costs as you need to buy credits for that website. Our game isn’t actually listed on there as an upcoming live event yet so I’m assuming you have to buy the 7 day pass for 600 credits, whatever that is in real life money terms.

you can only watch the game outside of england scotland