Scots abroad 2023/24

39 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Robertson, Tierney and to some extent Hickey all provide the width for us though. We don’t really have wide midfielders that provide proper width but McGinn and Ferguson are definitely creative in their own way. 

I do generally agree that some genuine pace/ability to stretch teams would potentially improve is though. 

If you look at who the players Ferguson replaces for Scotland when he plays it's right sided players (McTominay, Gilmour and McGinn) and so for Scotland that's his competition, so in that context it's maybe more understandable why he doesn't get as much game time as people would like. In my view it's system (left) and competition (right) issues hampering his game time as a sub/starter and the fact we play with 3 centre-backs.

It's one to watch, because he's banging on the door and John Carver said he would be getting more game time (not sure if Carver was referring just to the France game or more than that). How they will fit him in will be the interesting thing for me, maybe they'll play him on the left and he'll do brilliantly or maybe they'll tweak the team and tactical approach around to work him in or it might just continue as is until his competition begins to decline.

Edited by 2426255

47 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

All good players and can obviously grab a goal but some creativity and width would be nice.

This is the change that has to come over the next couple of tournament cycles, in my view, if we're to keep improving. It all seems a bit dependent on the development of some teenagers at the moment, but if we can make that change, that's when Fergie's time will come.

34 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

It's one to watch, because he's banging on the door and John Carver said he would be getting more game time (not sure if Carver was referring just to the France game or more than that). How they will fit him in will be the interesting thing for me, maybe they'll play him on the left and he'll do brilliantly or maybe they'll tweak the team and tactical approach around to work him in or it might just continue as is until his competition begins to decline.

I think he has started on the left wing for Bologna a couple of times.

Just now, Alan Twelve said:

Yeah he has and drifts wide somewhat regularly anyway. It's more similar to how McGinn holds the width for Villa, though, only without the range of passing to open up play. 

33 minutes ago, Alan Twelve said:

That's fine. I don't know how Bologna play down the left side and how Ferguson fits into that, but if it's not the same as how Scotland play then it isn't that helpful. Scotland love working the ball through combination play, movement and possession on the left while on the right it tends to be more direct, physical and about gaining territory. A good approximation for that is from our goal-kicks and kick-offs where the ball is more regularly (although not always) fired to the right than left. I don't think the right side has much width in the team as it's been playing in this campaign.

There was a relatively short period where McGinn and Patterson were a brilliant combination down the right, but it hasn't lasted although I think it could come back in some shape. Patterson is one player I'd highlight that could stretch teams and McGinn's hold up play is usually good. On Ferguson, I'd like to see him in the team - I just can't really see where he fits at the moment. I have no doubt in my mind that he will break into the team and become a mainstay at some point and how that will come about will be the most interesting thing imo.

Edited by 2426255

Christie is a good example of a player who is playing on the other side because of how he fits into the system. With Scotland he more often is used on the left while for his club he normally plays more a role on the right, why is that? He isn't our best option at the hold up/physical side of the game which is an important part of how our right side functions, but on the left he is effective at combining with Robbo, KT and McGregor which is a significant part of how that side works and so that could be a good reason for why we see that as a general trend.

Could Lewis Ferguson make that adaptation? I've not seen enough of him to say, but he might have to if he wants to get into the team. Either he adapts his game to the existing system (Hickey, Christie), the system adapts to fit him in (McTominay, Tierney/Robertson) or he out-competes his competition. The last option is the probably the least likely.

Edited by 2426255

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

That's fine. I don't know how Bologna play down the left side and how Ferguson fits into that, but if it's not the same as how Scotland play then it isn't that helpful. Scotland love working the ball through combination play, movement and possession on the left while on the right it tends to be more direct, physical and about gaining territory. A good approximation for that is from our goal-kicks and kick-offs where the ball is more regularly (although not always) fired to the right than left. I don't think the right side has much width in the team as it's been playing in this campaign.

There was a relatively short period where McGinn and Patterson were a brilliant combination down the right, but it hasn't lasted although I think it could come back in some shape. Patterson is one player I'd highlight that could stretch teams and McGinn's hold up play is usually good. On Ferguson, I'd like to see him in the team - I just can't really see where he fits at the moment. I have no doubt in my mind that he will break into the team and become a mainstay at some point and how that will come about will be the most interesting thing imo.

Yeah, I only brought up the left wing thing as an aside, not to suggest that he's brought in there for Scotland. I completely agree with your last couple of sentences here; he doesn't fit right now, I don't think he will until there's an entire change of shape and approach, and I can't see that happening until one of KT or Robbo either retires or is no longer a first pick.* I don't believe that Ferguson is good enough technically to replace any of the current midfield at present, but he'd be a great fit in a swift counter-attacking 4-2-3-1, or similar.

*Sadly I think that'll be KT retiring from internationals after the next world cup. His body just can't take that many games every year.

We could fit him in if Clarke chooses to try out a back four in the absence of Robertson and Tierney, with McTominay and McGregor in the midfield two, McGinn and Christie out with and Ferguson behind Dykes. Not saying any of that will happen (and, even if it does, Clarke could play McTominay off the striker like he did towards the end of the Spain game) and I don't think you want to mess about with a successful team just to fit someone in, but Ferguson might have more of a chance than he would've if Robertson and Tierney were available. 

3 hours ago, Alan Twelve said:

Estoril winning at Porto last night was a pretty major shock, with the only goal of the game from Jordan Holsgrove. So that'll be him in for Christie, right?

A great freekick, to be fair - the second time he's scored a direct freekick to win a game this season, I think:

He plays abroad so

He'll get in at some point, just a question of how and when. Circumstances are against him and that's why he doesn't play much. Under different circumstances he'd have 15-20 caps, but overall you just have to look at it as a positive in the sense that our team is very strong just now, Ferguson can't get in the team and Gauld can't get in the squad.

Edited by 2426255

50 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

We could fit him in if Clarke chooses to try out a back four in the absence of Robertson and Tierney, with McTominay and McGregor in the midfield two, McGinn and Christie out with and Ferguson behind Dykes. Not saying any of that will happen (and, even if it does, Clarke could play McTominay off the striker like he did towards the end of the Spain game) and I don't think you want to mess about with a successful team just to fit someone in, but Ferguson might have more of a chance than he would've if Robertson and Tierney were available. 

No Gilmour? Just to throw another spanner in the works.

4 minutes ago, Binos said:

That reminds me of this.

Can't believe John Kennedy was in Dingwall at 12.30pm then went and won the Copa Libertadores at 10.30pm. What a job he's doing!

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/11475216/celtic-john-kennedy-fluminense-boca-juniors-copa-libertadores/

Just to add that I've watched Ferguson numerous times this season and he does tend to play as a kind of AML at Bologna and his exact role is to be the link man, hold the ball up and get others into play on that side in particular as well as get in and around the box as a support man.

I've always said Christie is one of our most important players off the ball, that might genuinely be the spot that Ferguson wants to target rather than  McTominay/McGinn who have shown themselves to be undroppable really

• 1 month later...

Gotta feel for the guy, his career is going really well, but yet there’s still no obvious route to becoming a Scotland regular 

We are so strong in the middle of the park

If he did force his way in we could be looking at the whole of the midfield bar wee Billy being club captains, and all at very respectable clubs

17 hours ago, MarkoP said:

Gotta feel for the guy, his career is going really well, but yet there’s still no obvious route to becoming a Scotland regular 

We are so strong in the middle of the park

If he did force his way in we could be looking at the whole of the midfield bar wee Billy being club captains, and all at very respectable clubs

I don't know the solution but it's getting close to the point where you wonder what you can do to the system to get all of our best players on the park - like with KT and Robertson. Maybe we should go with Motta's 2-7-2.