Airdrie vs Inverness CT

Should be an interesting game on Saturday, Airdrie come into this on not too bad form and have already won against ICT in the League Cup groups while ICT are struggling. With the influx of the Justin Devenny money we could also see some movement on the squad front before the weekend.

Our record defeat came in a trip to Airdrie, 6-0 drubbing in 2001.  I was planning on going but got drunk the night before and slept through it.

We are complete garbage.  I doubt we'll be signing anyone before this game, I fully expect Airdrie to win by a couple of goals.

35 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Our record defeat came in a trip to Airdrie, 6-0 drubbing in 2001.  I was planning on going but got drunk the night before and slept through it.

We are complete garbage.  I doubt we'll be signing anyone before this game, I fully expect Airdrie to win by a couple of goals.

Remember it well,  Inverness were the next big thing,  and Airdrie put them to the sword,  with Lee Gardiner pulling the strings.  

Funny how things worked out that season,  Inverness ended up being the next big thing and we went bust....

10 hours ago, Passionate said:

Remember it well,  Inverness were the next big thing,  and Airdrie put them to the sword,  with Lee Gardiner pulling the strings.  

Funny how things worked out that season,  Inverness ended up being the next big thing and we went bust....

Thought crossed my mind that there are probably Airdrie fans on here now who weren't even born during the time of the old Airdrieonians or never saw them.

57 minutes ago, approximately dave said:

Thought crossed my mind that there are probably Airdrie fans on here now who weren't even born during the time of the old Airdrieonians or never saw them.

Funnily enough, my first ever Airdrie game was that season. Was at home game to Ross County when I was 7. 

12 hours ago, Passionate said:

with Lee Gardiner pulling the strings.  

Can’t remember that, just Owen Coyle pinging the ball into our net at regular intervals 😂
…and Paul Sheerin sitting in the away support. 
Most people’s happy memories of Stevie Paterson’s time include the occasional freaky result like that one. A couple of months later we went to Tynie in the Scottish and destroyed Hearts 3-1.

Edited by The Mantis

On 22/08/2023 at 08:30, The Mantis said:

Can’t remember that, just Owen Coyle pinging the ball into our net at regular intervals 😂
Most people’s happy memories of Stevie Paterson’s time include the occasional freaky result like that one. A couple of months later we went to Tynie in the Scottish and destroyed Hearts 3-1.

Great game and a good return for me at Laddies, we had the likes of Barry Robson and Charlie Christie on the park along with Dennis Wyness, in fact we had the make up of a great team which went on to great games and great history for us, the team today are a shadow of that team sorry to say.

And the 3rd goal by Bagan! the pitch was a muddy mess if you remember and was scheduled to be changed out later that day so it favoured us having so many HL players, Bagan picking up the ball past Fuller and running half the park to score was the icing on the cake.

Walker, Tokely, Mann, McCaffrey ,McBain, Munroe, Duncan, Christie, Robson, Ritchie and Wyness.

Bagan, Calder, Bavidge, Golabek and Stewart. 

2 hours ago, The Mantis said:

I think we signed owenie at that time from Ross County,  don't know what happened there,  he seemed shot when we initially got him back, but McCall somehow got that side to click and we had a great season although ultimately ended in heartbreak on and off the park.

ICT have had a great run,  do you think you will get back to the Premiership, or is not that good to be a fan in that league,  Dodds from afar seems to be doing a decent job,  hearing a few rumblings that is not the case,  Dodds is a west coast media whore though, so everything is always rosy..

47 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

Great game and a good return for me at Laddies, we had the likes of Barry Robson and Charlie Christie on the park along with Dennis Wyness, in fact we had the make up of a great team which went on to great games and great history for us, the team today are a shadow of that team sorry to say.

And the 3rd goal by Bagan! the pitch was a muddy mess if you remember and was scheduled to be changed out later that day so it favoured us having so many HL players, Bagan picking up the ball past Fuller and running half the park to score was the icing on the cake.

Walker, Tokely, Mann, McCaffrey ,McBain, Munroe, Duncan, Christie, Robson, Ritchie and Wyness.

This was my favourite ICT memory right up until the semi in 2015.

To drag it back on topic, we won 4-1 away at Airdrie 3 days before the ballistic game in 2000.

On 22/08/2023 at 10:38, The Mantis said:

This was my favourite ICT memory right up until the semi in 2015.

To drag it back on topic, we won 4-1 away at Airdrie 3 days before the ballistic game in 2000.

Mine too, I think I got 5/1 0n the game and it paid my hotel down at Leith.

Wilsons 40yd screamer at Motherwell was another wee lift and a great memory. 

Can't remember that Airdrie game but I remember being impressed by the Excelsior stadium.

59 minutes ago, Passionate said:

I think we signed owenie at that time from Ross County, 

ICT have had a great run,  do you think you will get back to the Premiership, 

Looks doubtful. For 20 years ICT were a feckin miracle. There was a magic about the club, we were riding a wave, we believed we could do anything. That all changed round about the time Yogi left. Now we're just like all the other clubs, we've settled into that cynical way where we just don't believe any more.
Just while you're on about Coyle, he played for County and scored at our place at New Year. They led us 3-1 and had chances to make it more, but Wyness scored twice in injury time to give us a draw. That's the kind of thing that happened regularly, like when we trailed Ayr 3-0 at half time in the Scottish and people were still believing we could do it, and we won 4-3.

Only time I’ve seen us play Airdrie was back in January 2010 in our 1 season down. Sure we won 1-0 but got no idea who scored and can’t remember much of the game other than Dani Sanchez trying to lob the keeper from miles out 

Won’t make this one as I am utterly skint and saving my pennies. We’ll get beat, we’ll all moan about how shite it is and Dodds will still be in a job 

24 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Only time I’ve seen us play Airdrie was back in January 2010 in our 1 season down. Sure we won 1-0 but got no idea who scored and can’t remember much of the game other than Dani Sanchez trying to lob the keeper from miles out 

Won’t make this one as I am utterly skint and saving my pennies. We’ll get beat, we’ll all moan about how shite it is and Dodds will still be in a job 

I can remember that one, an Adam Rooney penalty being the only goal. I can remember one earlier that season, a 1-1 draw. John Baird scored for us and then missed a penalty to make it 2-0. And then Inverness equalised in the dying minutes. 

29 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

.Most memorable game I can remember was the first league game of The Archibald era,  Sombrero Saturday it was called, roasting hot , sombreros everywhere and we ended up on the the end of a 4 goal hiding..    

Both clubs fortunes we contrasting back then..  

I saw you guys against Dumbarton a few weeks back, alright you lost, but in any other game you would have won easily,  Welsh and Carson is as good a midfield pairing going around ,what's happened are you in a managed decline status as a club..

2 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

We were the better team on the day, Hearts didn't show up, that's all they thought they had to do. I remember Riccardo Fuller was expected to score for fun against us but he was anon, marked out of the game. Didn't he go on to have some success in the 2nd tier in England?. Tokely scored with his left, coincidently the only other time I saw him score with his left was against Airdrie in the first game of the season 2000/01 on that day the Airdrie fans brought somberos.

I don't remember many of our players from then playing in the Highland League before joining us and I would have thought most would have been used by then to the best pitch in Scottish Football and further more the golf putting green nature of our pitch would have been off putting for many of the Scottish teams use to playing on lumps, bumps, sand and mud. Our performance at Tynecastle on their excuse for a pitch called for our lads adapting to those conditions since they Hearts would have been used to it for months.

Great day, especially silencing the fascist mob in the lower Main Stand.

45 minutes ago, Passionate said:

.Most memorable game I can remember was the first league game of The Archibald era,  Sombrero Saturday it was called, roasting hot , sombreros everywhere and we ended up on the the end of a 4 goal hiding..    

It was only two nil but we weren’t really at the races that day to be fair. 

On 22/08/2023 at 12:43, approximately dave said:

We were the better team on the day, Hearts didn't show up, that's all they thought they had to do. I remember Riccardo Fuller was expected to score for fun against us but he was anon, marked out of the game. Didn't he go on to have some success in the 2nd tier in England?. Tokely scored with his left, coincidently the only other time I saw him score with his left was against Airdrie in the first game of the season 2000/01 on that day the Airdrie fans brought somberos.

I don't remember many of our players from then playing in the Highland League before joining us and I would have thought most would have been used by then to the best pitch in Scottish Football and further more the golf putting green nature of our pitch would have been off putting for many of the Scottish teams use to playing on lumps, bumps, sand and mud. Our performance at Tynecastle on their excuse for a pitch called for our lads adapting to those conditions since they Hearts would have been used to it for months.

Great day, especially silencing the fascist mob in the lower Main Stand.

Tokely, Christie, Golabeck, Stewart, Calder and Bagan was from one of the Scottish lower leagues.

1 hour ago, approximately dave said:

We were the better team on the day, Hearts didn't show up, that's all they thought they had to do.

They played County in the previous round and saw them off easily although it was only 2-1. Living locally I went with my mate as our game at Arbroath was off. County brought a reasonable support but it was all quite subdued.
So they probably expected County Mkii as we were in the same league. I think we turned up with about 2500 in the pishing rain and blew the roof off. Great day.

Of course, ICT and Airdrie have played in a cup final

ALso, one of pre-merger Caley's best results was a win on penalties over Airdrie in the Scottish cup in 1990.  Airdrie at that time were regularly fighting for promotion to the top league and made the cup final a couple of years later.  Some great scenes in this video, including a snowstorm necessitating the orange ball.

The scenes from the dressing room at the end are absolutely brilliant.  :lol: 

Edited by ICTChris