Airdrie vs Inverness CT

4 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

Tokely, Christie, Golabeck, Stewart, Calder and Bagan was from one of the Scottish lower leagues.

Yeah but Calder, Golabeck, Stewart and don't forget Martin Bavidge (Forres on loan) didn't play. Christie had to come off not long into the 2nd half and was replaced by Bagan. Tokes was the only player whom had played 90 minutes and had HL experience, how many games did he play for Huntly though?. Bagan played over 30 games for Kilmarnock and won the Scottish Cup.

Hardcore though, beat SPL opposition convincingly, got back up the road to Inverness then all pilled into Findlay's and very very drunk by closing time. I was told by a witness that Ross Tokely was near unconscious and trying to keep his eyes open and David Bagan was giving it the old spiel of been there done that lads.

Edited by approximately dave

I've gone for a home 2-1 win. I was at the cup game at Inverness and it was very much a seesaw match where Airdrie won the first half but the freshened up subs swung the game back to ICT. It was a wee bit of a surprise that the game then opened up and let us get back into the lead.

I'd be happy to get an early lead and see an open game but they were a bit stronger than us for spells

Dodds does appear to be given a bit of a west coast media leeway. Wonder how many traveling fans?

With no extra signings I'd expect a bit of a roller coaster game.

5 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Of course, ICT and Airdrie have played in a cup final

Also, one of pre-merger Caley's best results was a win on penalties over Airdrie in the Scottish cup in 1990.  Airdrie at that time were regularly fighting for promotion to the top league and made the cup final a couple of years later.  Some great scenes in this video, including a snowstorm necessitating the orange ball.

The scenes from the dressing room at the end are absolutely brilliant.  :lol: 

I'm not sure that I recall overly much from the 1990 Broomfield game other than the very late equaliser that sent the simians into a frenzy as they bayed just at the other side of the barred barrier, actually it was more like a cage and I must say I was very glad that it was as robust as it was secure. For someone more used to the Wind Tunnel, Howden End and Howling Shed, this was quite the eye opener.

I do recall that so rattled were Airdrie that they went all Craig Brown and made an official complaint about the night-time Inverness lux levels but their attempt to gain a daytime advantage was doomed to failure. 

Such great times and it's little wonder the anti merger sentiment was so vociferous when such season defining nights against the likes of Airdrie came along occasionally 

13 hours ago, approximately dave said:

Thought crossed my mind that there are probably Airdrie fans on here now who weren't even born during the time of the old Airdrieonians or never saw them.

That laddie Coyle fair knew how to finish. His first and Airdrie's second was just sublime. 

Hoping to see a second home league win on the trot but despite the pessimism of some ICT fans I can see them making life difficult. 

Edited by Mybitchunderprotest
Edited to add league between second and win before I'm called out by someone as pedantic as myself.

11 hours ago, scottbamby said:

I’m driving down for this - can anyone recommend where to park? Another ground ticked off the list for me✅ 

Fully expecting another Dodds masterclass in a 3-1 defeat 

There's parking at the ground which now costs three quid and you follow the signs as there are roadworks affecting the away car park. There were no real problems last week with a similar travelling support from Dingwall.

Many folks park in the side streets around the stadium. 

20 hours ago, approximately dave said:

Yeah but Calder, Golabeck, Stewart and don't forget Martin Bavidge (Forres on loan) didn't play. Christie had to come off not long into the 2nd half and was replaced by Bagan. Tokes was the only player whom had played 90 minutes and had HL experience, how many games did he play for Huntly though?. Bagan played over 30 games for Kilmarnock and won the Scottish Cup.

Hardcore though, beat SPL opposition convincingly, got back up the road to Inverness then all pilled into Findlay's and very very drunk by closing time. I was told by a witness that Ross Tokely was near unconscious and trying to keep his eyes open and David Bagan was giving it the old spiel of been there done that lads.

Wrong again, it was the Caley club on Greig street.

1 hour ago, SandyCromarty said:

Wrong again, it was the Caley club on Greig street.

You really get into nitpicking don't you 😆 This was what I was told, I myself was still on the way back up the road.

The witness was a former frequent contributer to the CaleyThistle Online forum and liked a bit of a wind up btw.

On 22/08/2023 at 20:54, scottbamby said:

I’m driving down for this - can anyone recommend where to park? Another ground ticked off the list for me✅ 

Fully expecting another Dodds masterclass in a 3-1 defeat 

The new Lidl (other side of A73 from BP garage) car park at the moment anyway has no time limited parking restrictions.

You need to get the idea that we are half decent out of your head.  We are terrible - our side last season were maybe unlucky with injuries to key players for a significant part of the season but we've lost those key players and not replaced them.  Robbie Deas hasn't been replaced, we've just tried to muddle through with Devine plus one of Duffy, Delaney, Ram etc at the back.  In midfield we've signed Gilmour who looks OK but he isn't anywhere near the same presence as Allardice, particularly as Welsh is out.  Up front, renewing Mckay was our one good move of the summer but we haven't replaced our loan signings with similar quality either - Henderson and Mckay had their limitations but they both had pace and the ability to deliver good balls.  Again, Longstaff might be decent but he's not as good as either of those.

I don't think Dodds has got the ability to take a squad and make them more than the sum of their parts.  During his two seasons we've been at our best when we've had our first choice XI on the pitch but haven't coped when we haven't.  Our first choice XI is significantly degraded this season, as noted above, so you add that to injuries and we are a far poorer side. 

Not sure how we will line up for this one to be honest.  Lodovica scored a hat-trick in our game against Clach so maybe he has pushed a case for a start but it goes without saying that Airdrie are a different proposition to Clach.  I don't have a great basis for saying this but I wouldn't be shocked if Airdrie get close to their 6-0 scoreline again.

Must win game for us so early on in the season we lose this and then lose or draw against Dunfermline we're in a lot of trouble as we face both Raith and Dundee Utd next month. 

Our only hope is that we have created decent chances in the last 2 games some of them being clear cut we just haven't converted them but it's not like we're failing to trouble the defence all game the chances are there we just need to take them before we start losing more confidence. 

Our biggest downfall is obviously our defence we've conceded some poor goals recently most notably the 2nd scored by Queens Park. To say we're missing Deas is an understatement 

Our midfield is seriously missing Welsh and Mcgregor it's just not good enough right now think Carson will take a few games to get used to midfield again Gilmours been pretty average in our last 2 games. Hyde is back but he's not our answer. Can't put all the pressure on 17 year old Keith Bray who's been our outstanding player by far 👏 

If we get a draw it will be a decent result but like I said we really need to be winning this. 

10 hours ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Just reading the comment and it's mental to think that we've only just been promoted but seem to be getting tagged as the favourites for this one. I don't like that, as its usually when it goes tits up! 

Hoping for a win though. 

We're the weakest we've been in years I'd happily swap Lodovica for the likes of Todorov thought he had a great game against us last month in the cup. We're just lacking in quality, depth and confidence and that's a mixture for a relegation scrap.....