Ross County v Rangers (12:30pm kick off, Sky)

32 minutes ago, AJF said:

This is the kind of thing that should be filed under “keep your powder dry until full time and secured the win” 😂

Where's the fun in that?!

Wtf has happened to Matondo. My man can actually play football!

Very enjoyable performance, things are starting to click, played some tremendous football at times, defence looks pretty solid, Butland is looking a very good replacement. 

As long as we avoid some catastrophic 5-0 sorta scoreline midweek then we're going into the Old Firm very confident. 

16 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Kenny Miller, "Rangers need a third goal to put this game to bed." Why not say, "Ross County need a goal to give themselves a chance in the last few minutes."?

Because Sky is Rangers/Celtic TV and all the co-commentators support the one they're commentating on. 

1 minute ago, Squonk said:

Imagine getting hyper excited about a routine 2-0 win against a club with around 5% of your playing budget. 

It is awfully embarrassing, or rather it would be if they had the self awareness to be embarrassed...

Definitely positives to take from that second half, after the restart County were improved, and had some decent chances. Still can't believe that White headed miss, but the ball in was fantastic and Jordan did a good job finding space and getting free. Bringing on Turner really turned things around and the only knock is "why wasn't he starting!" Looks a very useful signing.

No doubt that this County team look a step up from last season.

I made the foolhardy choice of sticking on Sportsound after the game only to hear Kenny McIntyre ask if there was anything positive for County to take away! Sake, I'm a massive pessimist but you'd think we got scudded 8-0 the way he was havering on

7 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Because Sky is Rangers/Celtic TV and all the co-commentators support the one they're commentating on. 

It was really a hypothetical question as I'm a grizzled veteran of Scottish football and all that surrounds it. The same thing was happening when I started being aware of Scottish football 60 years ago.

Firstly, an apology - I turned to the guy next to me and said "I admit it, I've judged Loturi all wrong, he's actually decent" at which point he gave away the ball leading directly to the second goal, and generally made only negative contributions until being subbed. So, I'm sorry about that lads.

I actually thought Sims did OK given how deep he was playing, effectively a full back.

Leak showed a couple of wobbles which were a wee bit of a worry, esp compared to st J game.

Dhanda was class above again, for a wee guy, his effective tracking back and last ditch tackling, but tidily done without giving away fouls is an under appreciated element to his game. He's just excellent.

I'm sorry to go against the flow re Jordan white, I'm simply not seeing why he gets the full 90 week in, week out. His contributions Vs the others just don't square for me, and failing to get the one header on target summed that up.

Turner wasn't quite as neat/elegant/precise as I'd hoped when he came on, even with a wee bit of time on the ball, his passes weren't then level I'd expected from week before, although his driving forward was decent.

Previously I've been vexed by MM refusing to make subs until too late. Today he changed all sorts quite early, although I'd like to have seen Alex Samuel (and his wondrous posterior) get a bit of game time.

Just my own thoughts, and although it sounds negative, to be at this point having played both sides of OF, having 3pts and not horror goal difference is reasonable. Onwards.

19 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Where would Rangers be without Tavernier ?

That's a contender for goal of the season at Dingwall today. Superb.

He's been our talisman for half a decade but some idiots get annoyed that he isn't halfing players every two seconds. 

It's interesting most of our fans and opposition fans (including me) have watched our games this season and have said he's looked off the pace and then he comes through with something like that. 

I also think some of our more gormless supporters don't idolise him because he doesn't buy into the usual nonsense that entails playing for one of the Old Firm teams, I like the seethe that Cantwell generates but he's close to the point of getting too involved with the goldfish bowl rather than just putting performances on the pitch. 

Lastly, credit to County today, we missed a lot of chances but they missed a decent amount too, thought Murray did a solid shift and they coped enough to make me think they'll have a decent season. Dhanda was relentless. 

Edited by RuMoore

Yet again horrible officiating when one of the arse cheeks are in town.

At 0-0, Murray has a shot from the edge of the box palmed out with White first to react and slips past Butland into the empty net. Just as White lines up his finish, without a defender near him, the ref blows his whistle. Why because he at that point believes Simon Murray fouled Souttar when he brushed past him collecting the pass through to him, Souttar at that point was running away from the ball, trying to obstruct Murray's run. Murray collects the pass, takes a couple of strides with the ball, shapes then shoots without the ref blowing for a foul but when it comes apparent that a goal will come fron White's rebound, he blows. The contact from Murray on Souttar is minimal if anything, with only one of them trying to play the ball. The play should have continued with White scoring (or missing) then VAR, reviewing the situation. By blowing early he ensured that didn't happen.

Shortly after this foul on Souttar, why did VAR not penalise Roofe for his clear pull on James Brown, his marker, at the back post. It's obvious that without being manhandled, Brown could have cleared the ball relatively easily.

In one of these instances a defender is judged to have been fouled and in the other another defender not fouled. The match was 20mins in and 0-0 at the time of these instances happening, Rangers, comfortable victory was engineered.

19 minutes ago, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

Yet again horrible officiating when one of the arse cheeks are in town.

At 0-0, Murray has a shot from the edge of the box palmed out with White first to react and slips past Butland into the empty net. Just as White lines up his finish, without a defender near him, the ref blows his whistle. Why because he at that point believes Simon Murray fouled Souttar when he brushed past him collecting the pass through to him, Souttar at that point was running away from the ball, trying to obstruct Murray's run. Murray collects the pass, takes a couple of strides with the ball, shapes then shoots without the ref blowing for a foul but when it comes apparent that a goal will come fron White's rebound, he blows. The contact from Murray on Souttar is minimal if anything, with only one of them trying to play the ball. The play should have continued with White scoring (or missing) then VAR, reviewing the situation. By blowing early he ensured that didn't happen.

Shortly after this foul on Souttar, why did VAR not penalise Roofe for his clear pull on James Brown, his marker, at the back post. It's obvious that without being manhandled, Brown could have cleared the ball relatively easily.

In one of these instances a defender is judged to have been fouled and in the other another defender not fouled. The match was 20mins in and 0-0 at the time of these instances happening, Rangers, comfortable victory was engineered.

This is all very selective because it just glosses over any perceived mistakes that may have went in County’s favour to make it seem as though the referee is biased.

There was an occasion in the second half when Barisic was running infield with the ball and was evidently tripped. A clear foul but not given which led to a 1v1 chance for County that Butland tipped over (which the referee never spotted to compound his error).

Roofe’s goal was a clear case of them both being at it so I’m not sure you can definitively say it’s a foul either way.

I think there needs to be some balance. 

1 hour ago, AJF said:

This is all very selective because it just glosses over any perceived mistakes that may have went in County’s favour to make it seem as though the referee is biased.

There was an occasion in the second half when Barisic was running infield with the ball and was evidently tripped. A clear foul but not given which led to a 1v1 chance for County that Butland tipped over (which the referee never spotted to compound his error).

Roofe’s goal was a clear case of them both being at it so I’m not sure you can definitively say it’s a foul either way.

I think there needs to be some balance. 

No mention of the Murray Souttar incident, I notice 👏 Do you work for BBC Sportscene, perchance.

I'm certainly not saying that County would have gone on to win. Laidlaw made one or two really good saves, and frankly that 1st half performance was terrible from County, tipified by the unopposed jog up the park for the 2nd goal.

It is very noticeable how certain incidents are refereed VERY differently when a certain 2 team role into town. We had it also earlier this season, on flag day at CP, where we were denied a penalty, again with the score at 0-0.

19 minutes ago, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

No mention of the Murray Souttar incident, I notice 👏 Do you work for BBC Sportscene, perchance.

I'm certainly not saying that County would have gone on to win. Laidlaw made one or two really good saves, and frankly that 1st half performance was terrible from County, tipified by the unopposed jog up the park for the 2nd goal.

It is very noticeable how certain incidents are refereed VERY differently when a certain 2 team role into town. We had it also earlier this season, on flag day at CP, where we were denied a penalty, again with the score at 0-0.

I never mentioned it because you already did. I made it clear that my post was to give balance because it seemed very selective. On the Souttar incident, it was clear the referee was going to call a foul before the ball broke to White. If you watch the replay, he put the whistle to his mouth immediately and pulled up, why it took so long for him to blow, I don’t know.

On 26/08/2023 at 12:34, forkboy said:

It's just a rumour, but I hear that our manager is a fucking cretin.

On 26/08/2023 at 14:37, forkboy said:

Sake, I'm a massive pessimist.

Really? You don’t come across as a pessimist.

I wasn’t at the game so will defer judgement to those that were, but it seems like we created chances at least, which was our biggest downfall last season.

If Sims doesn’t start producing, Turner should be given a run in the team in his place. You’d think Turner would have scored the chance Sims had (if you know what I mean by that).