Stranraer vs Clyde

Peter Grant had a great game but that was inexplicable. Can only assume the goalie shouted for it. Literally one clearance away from a deserved point.

The positive is we are much better with Hynes (who was tremendous), Lyon and the new boy in the team. However that is a right kick in the teeth.

16 minutes ago, Jaggy Snake said:

So predictable when McDonald came on. He probably deserved to be released in the summer but with the way we've signed, we haven't replaced him with better options.

Exactly. He’s not very good, but we’ve replaced him with worse.

Can’t wait to read all week how this confirms we should sign the club over to Tennent, Gracey and co.

We desperately a few extra bodies of quality in but we’d also be a far stronger team with most of those 8 players out today back in (even if it’s another set of legs off the bench).

46 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Come on guys, Clyde were a baw hair away from a half-decent result today.

Surely some signs of optimism from this display ???

Definitely a much more organised performance. Put in Leslie and Rennie for Scullion (get rid please) and Mulvanny, find a space for the other Scullion and Sula, and we possibly win the game. I definitely think there's a decent L2 side waiting to break out if we get most of the squad fit at the same time, albeit not the top half one we want.

The new boy was a threat, had two goals ruled out for offside that were both great finishes. Gave the ball away a few times but definitely an improvement to the squad.

On the other hand, we have won two away games since the start of 2022. Four wins in 2023. I can understand a bit of negativity. At the end of the day, we need to win games.

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Come on guys, Clyde were a baw hair away from a half-decent result today.

Surely some signs of optimism from this display ???

I think as folk have said there were definitely shoots of hope, especially given the injury list. But another loss and an absolute boot in the baws way to lose it. Not just the timing and who scored it but the avoidable manner it came. The cherry on the top was at the restart after the ball came out wide for a late punt up the park hail Mary and McCulloch miss-kicked it crossfield straight into touch near no one to end the game. 

Edited to add. Absolutely cracking view from the hotel and a beer soothes the pain though. 

Edited by same_ol_g35

Football always seems to find a way to give you a punch right in the nutsack doesn't it!

Just moments away from a credible draw, and a momentary lapse allows the player we deemed not good enough for this season to score against us.

Fair to say we didn't deserve to lose that one - nor did we deserve to win it.  Draw was the fairest result all in, given neither side really troubled each other all that much.

The atmosphere just had a slight feel of resignation all round though - not a great away support at all (not sure if some folk were in the big main stand, but quite a few notable absences), but at least there were some heartening performances.

Peter Grant did really well and actually his partnership with Logan Dunnachie was a positive.  Perhaps something that is needed is an experienced head to guide Dunnachie through the game, as the communication between both was excellent.  For all that big Erik is a very good defender, communication - and sometimes his speed of thinking and rash decision making - can cause us issues.  Also felt Darren Hynes was strong in midfield, an area we are badly struggling with.

Actually felt the levels were up with the likes of Forbes and Carswell not in the team, I'm still willing to give them time to bed in, but the fitness levels and athleticism was much increased today.

My only niggle was I felt we didn't do enough to exploit the rather brave ploy by Stranraer to play without a right back.  The amount of space Ji Stevenson (who looked really sharp and impressed, even if he needs to be a bit more positionally aware with regards to being constantly caught offside...) had was unreal, but we didn't use that to our advantage enough.

Oh well, the red wine will just have to console me this evening....!

1 hour ago, Clyde01 said:

It says a lot about our summer recruit that even one person is regretting releasing Olly McDonald. 

Had we gone for a reasonable upgrade, but I think what Olly showed today is what I thought he showed with us at times last season, an ability to find space and he is not a bad finisher.  Too bad Duffyball last season had us shelling aimless high balls up to him and hoping he can turn water into wine.

He had come onto a reasonable run of goalscoring form towards the end of last season (sadly when it was too late for us) and I still feel he'd have made an impact for us.  But hey, just an opinion and I know I'm probably in the minority in that respect.