Increase in adult ADHD

BBC Scotland clearly taking their lead from P&B discussion - thought I'd open a new thread as it was the main story on the BBC news.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-66135145

- Seven fold increase in adult ADHD diagnoses in the last decade.

- Almost as many adults as children are now being treated for ADHD.

- Notable uptick in diagnosis of ADHD during the pandemic/lockdown. 

I know a few people who have had been diagnosed with this as adults in the last few years.  Interesting to see it confirmed that there has been an increase.

Any P&Bers been diagnosed with ADHD as an adult?

32 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

BBC Scotland clearly taking their lead from P&B discussion - thought I'd open a new thread as it was the main story on the BBC news.

I know a few people who have had been diagnosed with this as adults in the last few years.  Interesting to see it confirmed that there has been an increase.

Both my children were diagnosed upon entering primary school and when we discussed it with our GP it reminded me of my experiences at a primary school run by nuns - a big wooden stick to the head for spelling mistakes, luckily I was good with numbers and eventually found a way to cope with writing although my spelling was & is still erratic. English & History exams were the worst and I was eventually advised to print written answers for these - gawd bless spellcheckers and their zigzaggy red underlines.

I was offered the chance to "get a diagnosis" but having turned 40 I didn't see the point so who knows?

My grandson has been diagnosed "they" were waiting to test him even before he went to school.

I'm sure the remedial classes at school which I was at times placed in by the nuns had other kids like me, fortunately I moved to a school run by "normal" teachers (still Catholic) and was able to move out of the remedial stream but if this hadn't happened I'd likely be a 60-y-o nutter posting nonsense on football websites.

4 minutes ago, btb said:

Both my children were diagnosed upon entering primary school and when we discussed it with our GP it reminded me of my experiences at a primary school run by nuns - a big wooden stick to the head for spelling mistakes, luckily I was good with numbers and eventually found a way to cope with writing although my spelling was & is still erratic. English & History exams were the worst and I was eventually advised to print written answers for these - gawd bless spellcheckers and their zigzaggy red underlines.

I was offered the chance to "get a diagnosis" but having turned 40 I didn't see the point so who knows?

My grandson has been diagnosed "they" were waiting to test him even before he went to school.

I'm sure the remedial classes at school which I was at times placed in by the nuns had other kids like me, fortunately I moved to a school run by "normal" teachers (still Catholic) and was able to move out of the remedial stream but if this hadn't happened I'd likely be a 60-y-o nutter posting nonsense on football websites.

Is that not dyslexia?

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

I'm 33 years old, diagnosed with adhd a few month back. Was doing alright with the medication, first day on them was strange as for the first time in my life I had a bit of peace in my head and no racing thoughts. Ended up more anxious though and currently not on the medication (methylphenidate.) 

Just now, md08 said:

I'm 33 years old, diagnosed with adhd a few month back. Was doing alright with the medication, first day on them was strange as for the first time in my life I had a bit of peace in my head and no racing thoughts. Ended up more anxious though and currently not on the medication (methylphenidate.) 

Not a medical expert but surely they wouldn't kick in on the first day. Must have been placebo effect.

3 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Not a medical expert but surely they wouldn't kick in on the first day. Must have been placebo effect.

Methylphenidate (Ritalin) is a stimulant, it will kick in as soon as you take it.  From the NHS website

When you have found the right dose, methylphenidate should start to work within 30 to 60 minutes of taking it. How quickly it works depends on whether it’s a standard or slow release tablet or capsule.

4 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

They pretty much do.  If someone without adhd takes them then it'll give them a fair buzz.

2 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

Is that not dyslexia?

That part probably is, but I'd also zone out and was often punished for this sometimes with the ruler to the head, other times by being belted and if I was "fortunate" just by being humiliated in front of the rest of the class. As  I said being changing to a less secular but still Catholic school helped me because of the greater sympathy to my difficulties.

Looking at ADHD symptoms I feel many could apply to me, but as they're so vague they could apply to everyone, I have worked out my own solutions to the regular problems I face but I have to stick to them rigidly and feel uncomfortable when forced to deviate, being on time is a major issue for me and I am obsessive about milestones and schedules..

I recently changed jobs and had an image recognition test as part of a group induction, my answers were idiosyncratic and pointed out as being so in front of the group, afterwords I told the tutor I found this uncomfortable but these situations are rare nowadays.