Livi v St Mirren

Playing on a plastic pitch shouldn’t be an issue for teams in the Premiership IMO. Every team trains on astro in the lead up to games v Killie and Livi so they’ve got plenty time to adjust to the way the ball moves around on the pitch.

I’d take a point in this one. Livi are a good side and 8 points from our first 4 league games would be a tremendous start to the season. 

12 hours ago, ATLIS said:

If I'm remembering rightly St Mirren could've won the league that day and plenty fans came through in a party mood. I think it was Jack Baird that had a total mess up at the back about 5 minutes in to let Hardie score and run around shh'ing folk :D 

Yeah, though I'm pretty sure we went 1-0 up early on and everyone thought it was all going to plan till Hardie destroyed us!

I know you'll not like this, but we genuinely couldn't get to grips with the pitch that day. It was massively sticky for whatever reason and we kept passing short, whereas Livi were just putting it in behind and where it was holding up and Hardie was destroying us with his pace.

13 hours ago, Captain_Sensible said:

You beat us 4-1 in Feb 2018 in the Championship where we finished 1st and you finished 2nd.

You also beat us 3-1 in Dec of following season in the Premiership and then we beat you 3-1 in the April.

No more than 1 goal in it since then 

We won 3-0 in April last season unless I’m mistaken, was my first game for 5 years 

1 hour ago, GAD said:

Yeah, though I'm pretty sure we went 1-0 up early on and everyone thought it was all going to plan till Hardie destroyed us!

I know you'll not like this, but we genuinely couldn't get to grips with the pitch that day. It was massively sticky for whatever reason and we kept passing short, whereas Livi were just putting it in behind and where it was holding up and Hardie was destroying us with his pace.

The grass pitch? :D We didn't put the plastic in until we went up, it was planned long before we knew we were going up though. Good thing we got a nice shiny new plastic pitch then at least right? Done away with that rubbish old grass one :D 

There must be different types of plastic pitch with varying ‘playability’ levels. Going back a bit, but St Mirren have been involved in a few big games at Falkirk, as well as ‘run of the mill’ Championship encounters. I only remember talking about the game and what transpired during the game, not the surface. Did Falkirk have some sort of ‘hybrid’ surface? That was years ago, I thought their pitch was decent all those years ago. Maybe all plastic pitches are hybrid, I haven’t a scooby. All I know is that Livvy’s looks and plays like they laid two million Donald Trump hairdos over a bed of sand and scattered rubber pellets over it before combing the fcuker with a tractor.

Edited by pozbaird

17 minutes ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

We wasted too many chances on Sunday, thinking about good crosses we couldn’t connect with. 

Olusanya has been great for us this season but I hope Maldron is given the first hour on Saturday. Toyosi can come on and run them ragged after Maldron has nodded in his hat trick. 

They are at home so I could be wrong, but I would think Livi won't be giving Olusanya much space to run into. Everyone seems to agree that the ball spends lots of time in the air on plastic pitches so it would seem to make sense to start Mandron  as although he doesn't seem the world's greatest jumper he has still got a significant edge over Toyosi in the air :) (although I was surprised Mandron didn't start at the weekend also, to be honest, so who knows what Robbo will do)

1 hour ago, AussieBud said:

We won 3-0 in April last season unless I’m mistaken, was my first game for 5 years 

Indeed. 3-0 at HT in fact.  Hospitality game for my birthday.  Absolutely did not expect the half time pies/pints to be so stress free!

2 hours ago, SS77 said:

Playing on a plastic pitch shouldn’t be an issue for teams in the Premiership IMO. Every team trains on astro in the lead up to games v Killie and Livi so they’ve got plenty time to adjust to the way the ball moves around on the pitch.

I’d take a point in this one. Livi are a good side and 8 points from our first 4 league games would be a tremendous start to the season. 

Perhaps.

At the same time, training is surely different from a full match situation?

One team plays on there 19 times a league season, the other two (at most). The ball definitely behaves differently, they trouble even the biggest teams in the league on it because knowing how it plays in a game situation is a big advantage to them.

Leaving aside our opinion of plastic pitches as supporters, it’s a fact that managers won’t play someone coming back from certain types of injury on plastic. They wouldn’t think twice if it were grass. That alone proves they are unfit for purpose at high level football and should be banned.

22 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

The grass pitch? :D We didn't put the plastic in until we went up, it was planned long before we knew we were going up though. Good thing we got a nice shiny new plastic pitch then at least right? Done away with that rubbish old grass one :D 

Sorry, I must be getting two games mixed up. There was a game you absolutely destroyed us knocking balls over the top to Hardie and the ball just stuck.

19 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

There must be different types of plastic pitch with varying ‘playability’ levels. Going back a bit, but St Mirren have been involved in a few big games at Falkirk, as well as ‘run of the mill’ Championship encounters. I only remember talking about the game and what transpired during the game, not the surface. Did Falkirk have some sort of ‘hybrid’ surface? That was years ago, I thought their pitch was decent all those years ago. Maybe all plastic pitches are hybrid, I haven’t a scooby. All I know is that Livvy’s looks and plays like they laid two million Donald Trump hairdos over a bed of sand and scattered rubber pellets over it before combing the fcuker with a tractor.

I know that our pitch is the exact same as Raith and Hamilton's, laid in the same year. The only difference is that those buggers used up all the green pellets and we were stuck with the black ones (ours put in 2-3 weeks after theirs). I think Falkirk's is possibly the same company but just a little older than ours so more wear on it.

From what I know we paid extra to have a shock pad put under the pitch to reduce injuries, rather than having a flat layer of concrete underneath it. It's meant to simulate realistic bounces and keep the same kind of spring you would usually have.

22 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

Hopeless officials and hopeless VAR guys. Let’s hope the game is settled without the intervention of the incompetent officials. 
f**k who am I kidding :unsure2:

If this mood is set by Sundays game,  that was a good example of how VAR works. Every major decision was called correctly. Pains me to say that as I really hate Beaton and hate isn’t a word I use very often. 

1 minute ago, 1GregStewart said:

If this mood is set by Sundays game,  that was a good example of how VAR works. Every major decision was called correctly. Pains me to say that as I really hate Beaton and hate isn’t a word I use very often. 

No they weren't. VAR is shit and is operated by idiots. You're just pretending otherwise because you got what you wanted on this occasion.

33 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Leaving aside our opinion of plastic pitches as supporters, it’s a fact that managers won’t play someone coming back from certain types of injury on plastic. They wouldn’t think twice if it were grass. That alone proves they are unfit for purpose at high level football and should be banned.

If artificial pitches were so dangerous, wouldn't Livi and Killie have the worst injury records in the league? As it stands we have 1 injury that was picked up in the gym. 

56 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

31 minutes ago, GAD said:

Sorry, I must be getting two games mixed up. There was a game you absolutely destroyed us knocking balls over the top to Hardie and the ball just stuck.

You are most definitely not mistaken GAD.

The day we lost 4-1 after going 1-0 up was absolutely a plastic pitch. 

8 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

You are most definitely not mistaken GAD.

The day we lost 4-1 after going 1-0 up was absolutely a plastic pitch. 

image.png.a13a99848be663f2a807e0638b2cbc7a.png

This game? You're talking nonsense, we didn't put a plastic pitch in until we got promoted.

13 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

image.png.a13a99848be663f2a807e0638b2cbc7a.png

This game? You're talking nonsense, we didn't put a plastic pitch in until we got promoted.

Edited due to being wrong 😀

By Christ in that case then your grass pitch was worse than your plastic one. It was horrendous. 

Edited by TPAFKA Jersey 2