Livi v St Mirren

15 minutes ago, FreedomFarter said:

Nouble leaves now for a fee, in January for a reduced fee, or at the season end for nothing at all. The formation Martindale decided upon for this season was chosen at least partly to make sure Nouble leaving wouldn't unravel things. There's a player ready to take Nouble's place in the team, Stephen Kelly, on the left of the 2 in the 3-4-2-1. The club still has a debt which the current board inherited and clearing that is a priority. As fans, we realise that.

I haven't read Martindale's comments this time but the "snobbery" thing makes sense. Often a player's assumed pedigree comes into how they're viewed, their career history. Nouble doesn't have that. He played exclusively non-league football in England until the age of 25. Martindale really did pluck him out of obscurity. Since then he's only played a season and a half in the Scottish top tier for the lowest profile club in that league. There will be an element of him being overlooked solely due to those background factors.

I don't think those are the only reasons though. I think Nouble is a great player to watch, but his numbers are pretty shite for an attacking player, and all the clubs do their data analysis these days. £1m for a 27 year old forward with 9 goals and 6 assists or thereabouts in 60 games, I think a lot of teams will think they can do better.

1 minute ago, GAD said:

I don't think those are the only reasons though. I think Nouble is a great player to watch, but his numbers are pretty shite for an attacking player, and all the clubs do their data analysis these days. £1m for a 27 year old forward with 9 goals and 6 assists or thereabouts in 60 games, I think a lot of teams will think they can do better.

Of course, I wasn't meaning to suggest it was the only factor, just a potential one among many.

4 minutes ago, GAD said:

To be fair, he's a winger although @RandomGuy. may be the one to tag for a definitive word on if Nouble would look appealing to clubs. Clubs definitely look for more than just goals and assists though. 

Nouble's ball retention and ball carrying are big strengths for him. He's good at beating a man and is often vital in goals and providing secondary assists like at the weekend, he had that and an assist.

3 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

To be fair, he's a winger although @RandomGuy. may be the one to tag for a definitive word on if Nouble would look appealing to clubs. Clubs definitely look for more than just goals and assists though. 

Nouble's ball retention and ball carrying are big strengths for him. He's good at beating a man and is often vital in goals and providing secondary assists like at the weekend, he had that and an assist.

That's partly why he was so under-appreciated in England to begin with. He's a creative player who plays behind the highest forward line, either as a second striker more centrally or in wide spaces, as you say. Then the main market Livingston look to sell any assets to is...England. Dykes was a number 9 target man and they love those in England. Nouble's tactical profile isn't what many managers in the English Championship are looking for. Again, many factors come into the lack of bids for Nouble but that's one of them.

6 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

nouble.thumb.png.7cbab56fdce2e1c453f5f48c4919a6a3.png

Hes great but you do wonder if a lot of clubs are simply put off by his age, as stupid as that is.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hes great but you do wonder if a lot of clubs are simply put off by his age, as stupid as that is.

Definitely. Age and contract status (in his last year) are huge factors.

30 minutes ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

Beaton should have spotted the double hit (everyone else in the stadium did). If he had given it, VAR would never have overruled it. 

Bloody hell, I thought you were serious there. 

15 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Bloody hell, I thought you were serious there. 

In fairness mate, I was in W2 which is pretty much the opposite end of the ground and even there I could see that there was something odd about the strike. I fancy if I'd been stood right next to the guy, I'd have been able to see exactly what was odd about it.

Bookies have Saints as fairly strong favourites form this, with you being able to treble your money on a Livvy win.  

Bookies usually know what they’re doing, but surprised at this. We’re playing well, but Livvy looked great against Hibs last week and they have home advantage.  

Strange.  Hope they’re right though!