The Toon v The Blue Toon

Long trek for Rory McAllister and Peterhead this Saturday as they come to Stair Park.

Was a bit surprised by their loss on Saturday, but still think they will provide our toughest test of the season so far.

Be surprised if we change our line-up from the eleven that started against Clyde. This season it looks as if we have players on the bench who can come on and change games for us, and who could easily be in the starting eleven.

I know not many of us go to Balmoor, but those that do enjoy the day out - many planning to make the trip down?

42 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Yeah I'll be down

Hopefully back to our passing game with pace which was missing last Saturday and hopefully back to winning ways 

Rory to score the winner 🤣

I will have your back, not sure if we will have many down as the team bus not available for this trip.

Going to be a tough one tomorrow. 

I’ve only seen us against Bonnyrigg and Clyde in the league, from those games it can definitely be said that our team has heart and won’t roll over to anyone.

Still missing a few key players but those we do have are more than capable. 

Would like to see us create more in front of Tam Orr rather than him receiving his ball with his back to goal. 

Would take another 1-0, that would have us sitting pretty before our free week. 

It was a lot more comfortable than the 2-1 score line suggests.

Should have been at least 3-0 at half time.

Stranraer played well, but Peterhead were very disappointing, I was expecting a lot more from them. Clyde last week were a better team and certainly more of a test.

Star man McAllister was kept in check fairly easily by big Scotty until he had to off late in the game . He seemed fairly unfit and was blowing out his arse by half time, his body language suggests he doesn’t really want to be there.

Peterhead got a wee bit of hope in the last couple of minutes with a really bad goal to give away. Craig Ross really isn’t doing himself any favours.

Don’t know why Aggy was sent off, I suspect dissent or bad language after a strong penalty claim was ignored.

Anyway good 3 points, along with an excellent performance.

Agree it was more comfortable than 2-1 suggests - only a short pass back 7 minutes into injury time gave Peterhead their goal.

First half we ran the show, and had Josh Walker scored late in the half it would have been game over, following earlier goals from Tam Orr and Kyle Fleming. Second half we managed it well until that late mistake. Should Peterhead have had a penalty when the big number 22 went down (he was booked for diving), and should we have had a penalty when Olly McDonald looked to have been clipped from behind (Aggy thought so and he was red-carded for advising the referee so)?

Second half was mostly game management, but we did it pretty well. Peterhead reminded me a wee bit of us last season - some very decent passing football with nothing on the end of it.

A very good win.

Watching the highlights - Aaron Reid certainly didn’t dive, so that yellow was wrong. Not convinced it was a penalty, but clearly not a dive. At the other end, Olly McDonald’s penalty claim was for a foul outside the box, but no penalty - but how did Mr Hardie or his assistant not see the foul?

Absolutely bewildering decision to go with a 3 at the back yesterday and totally change the formation,our young co managers need to stop watching skys tactics board before the live football on TV and we were punished because of it.Simple high ball over the top and we were being caught out everytime and it really should have been 4/5 nil at ht 

Sticks in the throat a bit to say it but excellent highlights package, like yesterday nothing to get excited about from us. Need to get sorted out before we lose touch. Need to have a re-think as keeping the ball in our own half is not going to win games,  a number of times we could not do that giving the ball away a good few times. Been a few players under par in the last few games as we saw last season if confidence goes its not easy to get back

2 hours ago, doulikefish said:

Absolutely bewildering decision to go with a 3 at the back yesterday and totally change the formation,our young co managers need to stop watching skys tactics board before the live football on TV and we were punished because of it.Simple high ball over the top and we were being caught out everytime and it really should have been 4/5 nil at ht 

If you play with 3 at the back, you need defenders with pace - something we definitely haven't got. A change of tactics definitely required before we slip further down the league.

21 hours ago, Nigel Blackwell said:

What the feck is going on with the Peterhead “penalty”???? Defender wrestles the striker to the ground and the striker is booked for diving. I can’t even imagine what it is that the referee has seen (or not seen) to come up with that decision. 

we are getting used to mystifying officials

On 04/09/2023 at 18:02, Nigel Blackwell said:

What the feck is going on with the Peterhead “penalty”???? Defender wrestles the striker to the ground and the striker is booked for diving. I can’t even imagine what it is that the referee has seen (or not seen) to come up with that decision. 

I wasn’t that sure that it was a penalty, but it clearly was not a dive. We also had a player booked for going down in the box in the first half - referees need some awareness that if an incident isn’t a penalty, it doesn’t automatically mean that the attacking player dived.

2 hours ago, Clayhole Blue said:

I wasn’t that sure that it was a penalty, but it clearly was not a dive. We also had a player booked for going down in the box in the first half - referees need some awareness that if an incident isn’t a penalty, it doesn’t automatically mean that the attacking player dived.

However the player that went down in the first half clearly did dive.

4 hours ago, Clayhole Blue said:

The Stranraer player did dive. Quite clearly. The Peterhead decision is one of the worst I have ever seen.

On 06/09/2023 at 22:41, Nigel Blackwell said:

The Stranraer player did dive. Quite clearly. The Peterhead decision is one of the worst I have ever seen.

Any views on the incident where Agnew was sent off? It's out the box but is it a foul?

FWIW, I certainly don't think the Peterhead player dived. Think the Stranraer player was slow off the mark in going for the ball and got there second.