Raith Rovers vs Cliftonville

R.R.FC

For the early rounds of the Challenge Cup, I’m actually quite looking forward to this. Nice to be playing someone a bit different and a good opportunity for us to mix up the team and give game time to those who need it and see more the squad.

Sensible pricing by the club, obviously we won’t have anywhere near the 3000 mark that we’ve had our last two league games but hopefully another decent crowd to continue the momentum both on and off the pitch. What’s the reason for the 2pm kick off?

Will be interesting to see what line up Murray goes with. He’ll want to keep the positive results going but it’s important given the strength of the squad we see some rotation. The only issue is whether those who have been starting but missed pre season still need minutes or if a rest is better for them? Thinking of the likes of Millen, Murray, Brown, Byrne and Hamilton.

Also does he rotate the goalkeeper to give Thomson a runout as you would expect in this cup or does he play Dabrowski to give him a chance to rebuild his confidence after Saturday? Murray says he has targeted this game for Connolly too but would imagine he won’t be ready for a start at this stage and will get 20/30 minutes off the bench which will still be a great boost.

I think I’d go for something like:

Thomson

Millen       
Masson     
Murray      
Dick

Arnott      
Easton

Gullan     
Vaughan     
Ross

Hamilton

Could potentially have McGill in for Arnott or even Millen but would rather have some experience around Masson to help him. The team above would be 8 changes from the weekend but still looks strong enough to get a result which is testament to the squad built. If they were fully fit you could have Corr in for Masson, Matthews for Arnott and Connolly for Gullan which would still be 8 changes but look even stronger.

A confident, comfortable performance winning by a couple of goals with a clean sheet would be nice but our games so far suggest that’s far too much to ask.

6 hours ago, R.R.FC said:

For the early rounds of the Challenge Cup, I’m actually quite looking forward to this. Nice to be playing someone a bit different and a good opportunity for us to mix up the team and give game time to those who need it and see more the squad.

Sensible pricing by the club, obviously we won’t have anywhere near the 3000 mark that we’ve had our last two league games but hopefully another decent crowd to continue the momentum both on and off the pitch. What’s the reason for the 2pm kick off?

Will be interesting to see what line up Murray goes with. He’ll want to keep the positive results going but it’s important given the strength of the squad we see some rotation. The only issue is whether those who have been starting but missed pre season still need minutes or if a rest is better for them? Thinking of the likes of Millen, Murray, Brown, Byrne and Hamilton.

Also does he rotate the goalkeeper to give Thomson a runout as you would expect in this cup or does he play Dabrowski to give him a chance to rebuild his confidence after Saturday? Murray says he has targeted this game for Connolly too but would imagine he won’t be ready for a start at this stage and will get 20/30 minutes off the bench which will still be a great boost.

I think I’d go for something like:

Thomson

Millen       
Masson     
Murray      
Dick

Arnott      
Easton

Gullan     
Vaughan     
Ross

Hamilton

Could potentially have McGill in for Arnott or even Millen but would rather have some experience around Masson to help him. The team above would be 8 changes from the weekend but still looks strong enough to get a result which is testament to the squad built. If they were fully fit you could have Corr in for Masson, Matthews for Arnott and Connolly for Gullan which would still be 8 changes but look even stronger.

A confident, comfortable performance winning by a couple of goals with a clean sheet would be nice but our games so far suggest that’s far too much to ask.

Given Connolly is only really returning to practice today, it might be too early.

16 hours ago, Rovers_Lad said:

Not according to our website

Cliftonville fans will be housed in Section ME of the Turnbull Hutton Stand.

A fair number away to Cyprus for Scotland game,not on the season ticket and its the Challenge Cup I wouldn,t be surprised to see a sub 2000 crowd

Cliftonville fans will be housed in The Craiglea Timber Stand (North Stand).

Cliftonville Tickets On Sale | Raith Rovers FC

It's a sign of how things are going so far that I'm looking forward to this one.

I'd go:

Thomson; McGill, Watson, Murray, Dick; Brown, Byrne; Easton, Vaughan, Ross; Hamilton

Ideally we play well enough that we can give some of the younger subs 20-30 minutes off the bench.

Past experience says Murray doesn’t like to play ‘experimental’ sides in games like this, he tends to stick to his strongest team. 

For that reason I think we’ll stick to Dabrowski, Dick, Murray, Watson, Millen at the back. 

However, the embarrassment of riches we have in the forward positions makes me think he may rotate the starters and subs for the 3 positions behind Hamilton. 

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Does this go to extra time or is it straight to penalties??

4.6 Subject that the Board may determine that any round or rounds of a Competition may take place on a ‘group’ basis utilising such arrangements, procedures and qualifications as the board may from time to time determine and notify to all Clubs and clubs with an interest, the ‘rounds’ of the Competition shall be conducted on ‘knockout’ basis with the winner being the Club/club with the greater number of goals at full-time. In all Matches other than the Semi-Finals and Final, if the scores are equal at full-time or no goals have been scored the winner shall be determined by taking Penalty Kicks. In respect of the Semi-Finals and Final, if the scores are equal at full time or no goals have been scored, Extra Time will be played and, if the scores are still equal or still no goals have been scored at the end of such Extra Time, the winner shall be determined by taking Penalty Kicks