Monday Night Football Thread - 2024/25

lichtie23

43 minutes ago, Brummie Clyde said:

Feels like there are a million meh teams in the NFL this season.

Carolina and San Fran at the extremes, and a cigarette paper between the mass of mediocrity in between. I've been moaning for years that the standard has been in decline since the advent of Free Agency and the Salary Cap, but where we are now does seem to be the logical end point of a system that strives to ensure everyone is the same, middling level of pish. Don't generally have a lot of time for Tom Brady, but he's absolutely correct when he says there's a ton of mediocrity being overlooked in the current iteration of the NFL. He's not alone in saying that either, and I think it's telling that it's a few players from the early 2000's saying it since they are really the last who experienced playing in the NFL before the rot truly set in.

Guest DannyBlue
13 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Tommy DeVito deserves an opportunity to battle for the starting QB job in the summer. He continues to improve every game and was clutch tonight. 

It's incredible how far he's come since that first game where it seemed like he couldn't pass. What a guy though.

9 hours ago, johnnydun said:

Next Gen stat of the game: According to Next Gen Stat's win probability model, the Titans' chances of victory were as low as 0.4% when they trailed Miami, 27-13, with 3:08 left in regulation. Their comeback win was the second-most statistically improbable victory in the Next Gen Stats era (dating back to 2016).

Any idea what game that was? Assumed 28-3 would have been mentioned if it was. 

Vague memories of a Bucs game that involved a 21 point turnaround in the last quarter. That might have been prior to 2016 though.

Oh wait... what about the epic Colts choke job v the Vikes last year?

Had a quick look, and I think the game I'm remembering is the one way back in 2003 or something when Peyton and the Colts scored 21 inside the last 5 mins to beat the Bucs. I could have sworn it was far more recent than that, but maybe I'm just remembering watching a more recent replay or something.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200310060tam.htm

21 points inside the final 3:37

Edited by Boo Khaki

51 minutes ago, jagfox said:

Drew Lock. What a pler!

Never any doubt... 

Currently suffering from the Covid so this was a very welcome pick me up. 

Edited by Swarley
Spelling

2 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Hahahaha. f**k you Sirriani!

So why didn’t Geno play? And DK Metcalf is a freak! Some of his catches on the game winning drive were unreal. Great INT to finish it from Julian Love as well 

Geno still suffering from his groin strain I think. Will be back v Titans apparently. 

10 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Hahahaha. f**k you Sirriani!

So why didn’t Geno play? And DK Metcalf is a freak! Some of his catches on the game winning drive were unreal. Great INT to finish it from Julian Love as well 

James Bradberry had a total shocker on that final Seattle drive. Slow to get out of his backpedal on the big Metcalf gain, let DK get far too close before turning, and let him behind him. In that down and distance and game situation he has to break a bit earlier and not GAF if he give up a 7-10 yard gain on a stop. He then repeated the mistake with JSN on the TD catch. There's no deep Safety, so he can't let JSN run behind him, and again, it doesn't really matter if he plays soft and gives up 10.

When CB's make mistakes they tend to get punished really visibly, but it's really poor stuff for a guy to do that twice on the same do-or-die drive. Shows no understanding of game context at all.

Best one ever though is Jets CB Lamar Jackson biting on the double-move v's the Raiders in 2020. Ten seconds remaining, only have to keep LV out of the EZ to win, and he stops dead on the double move and lets Ruggs waltz in behind him for the TD 😆 It's amazing how much money some of these guys make despite apparently living to adulthood with no brain.

@ 15:13 here -

• 8 months later...

Hurts didn't sell that at all. 

If you are going to spread everything and then call a designed QB run, it makes a little bit of sense to at least fake intent to pass it for a second or two to run off the secondary and give yourself a chance, especially when it's 9 to go. 

Hurts taking the snap and immediately bolting for the edge is moronic.

Edited by Boo Khaki