Glasgow "Witchcraft"/Abuse Trial

Boo Khaki

7 hours ago, RH33 said:

Don't know if it's the same in Police Scotland but I was talking to someone in NCA and they have a set maximum time that people work on child abuse stuff with appropriate professionals to debrief with.

Must be an utterly horrific job yet sadly necessary.

Nah there are people who devote their entire careers to the ‘public protection’ side of detective work, like child abuse, rape investigation and domestic abuse. Take my hat off to them, its harrowing. Used to work in a role where I had to see graphic images (not iioc thankfully, but some bad stuff nonetheless) and it stays with you, i dont know how people manage to do it for decades. There are safeguards in place for people exposed to iioc and the folks who are exposed to the full aspects of interviewing these victims but no maximum term, if you lose these people you lose experience and with the underfunding you need to retain these people. 

On 14/11/2023 at 17:03, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

It's not enough to lock beasts up with beasts so they can share stories and have a laugh about things they have done.

In the news report on Sky News, the reporter said that during the trial the accused were laughing at some of the evidence.

Saw this report about the case on STV -https://news.stv.tv/west-central/the-squalid-drug-den-in-the-heart-of-glasgow-where-children-were-abused

Lots of talk about "the community" from the anonymous sources there - do they mean the community of people taking hard drugs or do they mean the wider community of the area where this is happening?  Most people will generally avoid drug users and drug houses like the one described.

The quotes from the former girlfriend of one of the convicted men kind of illustrate the difficult that child protection services have in these cases - if they erred towards taking harder action, removing children whose parents neglect them or are drug addicts, there would be loads of children taken from their homes and the police and social services would be criticised for this.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

- if they erred towards taking harder action, removing children whose parents neglect them or are drug addicts, there would be loads of children taken from their homes and the police and social services would be criticised for this.

Its worse than that. Local Authorities literally can't afford it. 

2 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Its worse than that. Local Authorities literally can't afford it. 

Yeah, I had meant to add - are there enough places for them to put all these kids, enough foster parents etc.  I don't know but I would be amazed if there was.

There was a mad YouTube channel posting about this almost a year ago

3 hours ago, ICTChris said:

In the news report on Sky News, the reporter said that during the trial the accused were laughing at some of the evidence.

Saw this report about the case on STV -https://news.stv.tv/west-central/the-squalid-drug-den-in-the-heart-of-glasgow-where-children-were-abused

Lots of talk about "the community" from the anonymous sources there - do they mean the community of people taking hard drugs or do they mean the wider community of the area where this is happening?  Most people will generally avoid drug users and drug houses like the one described.

The quotes from the former girlfriend of one of the convicted men kind of illustrate the difficult that child protection services have in these cases - if they erred towards taking harder action, removing children whose parents neglect them or are drug addicts, there would be loads of children taken from their homes and the police and social services would be criticised for this.

I listened to the report on this case and about them laughing in court.

There are other recent cases where wicked people have been seen to take the piss. The guy pretending he is trans, the guy in a wheelchair pretending he is Irish to stop him being sent back to USA.  The innocent Andrew Malkinson spent 17 years with this types of people and he heard them trading their stories. 

I think the community of hard drug users in that area will be getting a bit worried. Fingers will be getting pointed. They will be wanting to make sure people know this had nothing to do with them. 

16 minutes ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

I listened to the report on this case and about them laughing in court.

There are other recent cases where wicked people have been seen to take the piss. The guy pretending he is trans, the guy in a wheelchair pretending he is Irish to stop him being sent back to USA.  The innocent Andrew Malkinson spent 17 years with this types of people and he heard them trading their stories. 

I think the community of hard drug users in that area will be getting a bit worried. Fingers will be getting pointed. They will be wanting to make sure people know this had nothing to do with them. 

I'm not someone who knows the intricacies of drug use but is it not highly likely that many hard drug users in that area would have at some point crossed paths with this group?  They appear to have run a shooting gallery - there can't be that many places where heroin and crack users can go to take them.  Obviously, as well there is a limited number of drug dealers in a particular area. 

3 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I'm not someone who knows the intricacies of drug use but is it not highly likely that many hard drug users in that area would have at some point crossed paths with this group?  They appear to have run a shooting gallery - there can't be that many places where heroin and crack users can go to take them.  Obviously, as well there is a limited number of drug dealers in a particular area. 

From the description on STV I'm thinking it's the flats at Cowcaddens which is a a bit of a rabbit warren.

39 minutes ago, RH33 said:

From the description on STV I'm thinking it's the flats at Cowcaddens which is a a bit of a rabbit warren.

Papers reckoned Townhead. 

ETA - although I’m not entirely sure where the boundary would be drawn between those two. Parallel to the bus station or further on towards the piping college? 

Edited by carpetmonster

On 17/11/2023 at 17:04, ICTChris said:

Yeah, I had meant to add - are there enough places for them to put all these kids, enough foster parents etc.  I don't know but I would be amazed if there was.

There was a mad YouTube channel posting about this almost a year ago

Names of the areas described are hardly the top ten of deprived areas.

It ain't Possil, Royston or the high flats beside the Round Toll on the way to Firhill. Could have named a dozen other areas from the past but most of the real bad spots were pulled down over the last 3 decades.

One of wrongs yins gave Mount Vernon ffs, it's hardly foodbank territory.

Even Townhead across the street from Buchanan Street Bus Station wouldn't be on any poverty list. Townhead is practically a student village.

On 17/11/2023 at 17:39, RH33 said:

The flats in North Woodside Rd on the way to Firhill.

Junkie Central last knowledge i had of them.

As they pulled the high rises down across the city, those flats were used as a dumping ground for the drug addicts and recently released prisoners.

11 minutes ago, PossilYM said:

The flats in North Woodside Rd on the way to Firhill.

Junkie Central last knowledge i had of them.

As they pulled the high rises down across the city, those flats were used as a dumping ground for the drug addicts and recently released prisoners.

I did a placement in a primary school not far from there and the levels of deprivation were heartbreaking.

Having looked through a number news reports on YouTube of this case, the reports without saying it out loud show pictures of Townhead right beside the bus station.

Admit I'm shocked knowing as I did in the past a lot of the genuine locals.

Doubt they'd have tolerated a drug den on their doorstep for 5 minutes never mind anything to do with child abuse.

Although maybe me forgetting time passes. 40 years ago the local student population resident in the area was about 5% all residing in the studen halls at Strathclyde Uni. They were nowhere near the housing estate.

That's completely changed with another university being built in the area (Caledonian).  That 5% is probably now 75% born outside Glasgow.

Maybe the obvious is the drug den was hidden in plain sight. Surrounded by foreign students who wouldn't or couldn't tell if something was out of place.