I HAD A DREAM…A VERY NASTY DREAM

nate

26 minutes ago, deadasdillinger said:

If Andy Robertson isn't world class, given what he's achieved in the game, I'd be curious to know the 5 or 10 international LBs you'd say are ahead of him!

I always took world class to mean they were so good they'd be in contention to waltz in to any other team. There can't be many better than him, surely. 

World class to me is a Bale, for example, who could almost single handedly drag an ordinary Welsh side to the semi finals of the Euros. Andy Robertson is a wonderful player but sadly not wonderful enough in a Scotland shirt to do 'a Bale' but then I don't think Scotland have ever had such a player.

Still feels like an awful lot has to go wrong for us to not make it. 

Norway drop another point at all, we are in. Annoyingly their easiest remaining game is the next one in Cyprus so there's a chance to build momentum, but they still need to beat Spain at home and then come to Hampden and win, and probably by 2 clear goals if we get a point in Tbilisi.

We get a point in Spain, we're in.

We win in Georgia, we're in.

If Norway win their last 3 and we lose our last 3 (or get only a single point in Georgia) then we're in trouble. Can't see Spain slipping up far enough for us to qualify ahead of them in that case.

55 minutes ago, kennie makevin said:

World class to me is a Bale, for example, who could almost single handedly drag an ordinary Welsh side to the semi finals of the Euros. Andy Robertson is a wonderful player but sadly not wonderful enough in a Scotland shirt to do 'a Bale' but then I don't think Scotland have ever had such a player.

By that measure, you wouldn't really get world class defenders, or defensive midfielders…

Not every world class player is going to be a match winner in an average team. 

16 hours ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Sorry but im not convinced that were suddenly going to turn into a hopeless heap of shite just because we got beat last night, will everycunt please get a grip

you get the players in a room, watch last nights game and go through the lessons learned snd apply it in training for next time

for fucks sake

There’s an old expression along the lines of expectation being the mother of disappointment. The perceived negativity, twitchiness, doom-mongering you so colourfully allude to is a manifestation of this, but it’s actually extreme caution, not negativity. And I suspect it’s coming from older guys like me with long memories of too many disappointments (3 consecutive WC exits on goal difference ffs), whereas the younger cockier bucks on here have known nothing but comparatively digestible failure in their time. A lot of veteran TA are emotionally scarred because of this and that’s why the twitchiness is so prevalent, if seemingly OTT. It might even be a form of mental illness. Indeed my missus has suggested more than once I seek therapy. So much for a quiet night in watching a game of football, huh? 

PS Skybet have us at 80/1 to win the Euros,with Norway at…66/1! Go figure.

1 hour ago, kennie makevin said:

the LawMan

15 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

A non shitebag country would want Spain to lose in Norway.  They get beat, we win in Georgia and we're almost guaranteed to win the group

If we are beaten in Spain (The only way that the Norway/Spain game matters in terms of us qualifying) then we'd be hoping for a draw between Norway and Spain. Spain currently six points behind us with a game in hand. If they beat us in Seville they'd go three behind us with their game in hand in Oslo three days later. If their win over us is by 2 or more goals, then they go top if they win in Oslo and then we would need snookers to have a chance of winning the group. Spain's last two fixtures are a trip to Cyprus and Georgia at home, so if they go into that final window sitting in 1st place, overhauling them is nearly impossible.

Having said that, I think psychologically it would be good for us to have qualification wrapped up before that final window. I don't really know why but I trust us a lot more to take care of business in Georgia if we go there having already qualified but still needing a win to improve our seeding than if we go there needing to try and avoid a do or die game against Norway.

A draw between Norway and Spain clinches qualification for us AND keeps 1st place in our own hands going into the final doubleheader. If I was offered a defeat in Spain but a guaranteed Norway/Spain draw right now I'd be inclined to take it.

I'm intrigued to see how Clarke plays the Spain game. You could go full Craig Levein and park the bus to play for a 0-0 or at worst a 1-0 defeat (which isn't a bad result because it keeps us 3 points ahead of them and clinches the H2H tiebreaker, so the group is in our own hands). Or do you go all out to win in Spain and end the group there and then, but risk a 2+ goal defeat that swings the group in their favour?

Edited by Donathan

20 hours ago, MarkoRaj said:

It would be rather cathartic to seal it with a win away to Georgia

I’ll settle for a win in Spain.  But yes, it would.  

edit: Scotland - BETTER THAN GEORGIA, NOT AS GOOD AS ENGLAND is slightly harsh but not entirely wrong.  Scotland won in Norway, and should be confident of winning in Georgia.  In fact, boil it down to Georgia vs Scotland in a one off play off and you’d be very high on our chances.  

Edited by Savage Henry

5 hours ago, kennie makevin said:

By that definition, most defenders couldn't do it?

'World class' is up there with 'legends' as being one of those ugly terms that's cast around mainly to justify a viewpoint the speaker already has.

I've always taken it to be that the player could play for anyone.  Still a matter of opinion, but at least defined in some considered way.

To that regard, I can't see how Robertson isn't/wasn't world class.  He could have played left back for anyone, and likely still could.  Whether he win a trophy himself isn't really a useful metric, since it's even more abstract, and pretty much only available to a select few players and only really in attacking positions.

On 14/09/2023 at 09:44, kennie makevin said:

Captaining of one of the biggest sides in the world and dragging them almost single handedly to victory from left back

That not world class?

On 14/09/2023 at 09:44, kennie makevin said:

Lyndon Dykes is better than Bale IMO.

On 14/09/2023 at 11:42, Donathan said:

If we are beaten in Spain (The only way that the Norway/Spain game matters in terms of us qualifying) then we'd be hoping for a draw between Norway and Spain. Spain currently six points behind us with a game in hand. If they beat us in Seville they'd go three behind us with their game in hand in Oslo three days later. If their win over us is by 2 or more goals, then they go top if they win in Oslo and then we would need snookers to have a chance of winning the group. Spain's last two fixtures are a trip to Cyprus and Georgia at home, so if they go into that final window sitting in 1st place, overhauling them is nearly impossible.

Having said that, I think psychologically it would be good for us to have qualification wrapped up before that final window. I don't really know why but I trust us a lot more to take care of business in Georgia if we go there having already qualified but still needing a win to improve our seeding than if we go there needing to try and avoid a do or die game against Norway.

A draw between Norway and Spain clinches qualification for us AND keeps 1st place in our own hands going into the final doubleheader. If I was offered a defeat in Spain but a guaranteed Norway/Spain draw right now I'd be inclined to take it.

I'm intrigued to see how Clarke plays the Spain game. You could go full Craig Levein and park the bus to play for a 0-0 or at worst a 1-0 defeat (which isn't a bad result because it keeps us 3 points ahead of them and clinches the H2H tiebreaker, so the group is in our own hands). Or do you go all out to win in Spain and end the group there and then, but risk a 2+ goal defeat that swings the group in their favour?

park the bus , retain possession ( unlike the England game ) , ready to counter attack

On 14/09/2023 at 11:26, nate said:

There’s an old expression along the lines of expectation being the mother of disappointment. The perceived negativity, twitchiness, doom-mongering you so colourfully allude to is a manifestation of this, but it’s actually extreme caution, not negativity. And I suspect it’s coming from older guys like me with long memories of too many disappointments (3 consecutive WC exits on goal difference ffs), whereas the younger cockier bucks on here have known nothing but comparatively digestible failure in their time. A lot of veteran TA are emotionally scarred because of this and that’s why the twitchiness is so prevalent, if seemingly OTT. It might even be a form of mental illness. Indeed my missus has suggested more than once I seek therapy. So much for a quiet night in watching a game of football, huh? 

PS Skybet have us at 80/1 to win the Euros,with Norway at…66/1! Go figure.

Necessity is the mother of invention

How does multi quote work again ?