St Johnstone v Rangers, 16/09/23 12.30 KO

A team used to being at the top end of the league, winning trophies and generally being one of Scotlands’s most important clubs come up against rangers.

Two underachieving teams, both in need of a win for different reasons.

Saints will need a far better performance for 90 minutes than last time out against Dundee. Expecting a few changes.

45 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Back to this shite then. Woo hoo. 

Indeed. It's one of 'those games' where if I bothered to do the sums I'd probably figure out that I was losing money buying a season ticket.

Although if Sprangler passes his exams and gets private-jetted in to cause midfield havok, I might just change my mind and head down to McDairmid ...

Saints 2 - 0 Sevco, Kane and Clark. Entire Saints coaching staff red carded for booting water bottles at the main stand linesman.

10 hours ago, bennett said:

2 - 2, a physical team like the saintees will be too much for our defence. 

What shite is this. We’re a team of midgets and #ballers now. 

It was actually worrying that against Dundee we had 2 players over 6 foot playing and that was it! 

10 hours ago, mizfit said:

2 up top is a must id say. 

Would be interesting to see a pairing, might work well as a sort of offset 4-4-2/4-3-3 as May goes left anyway, but probably need Wright fit for it to work properly.

Don't mind this game tomorrow at all. Another opportunity for this new team to play together without the pressure of expecting points.

Of course, we should have been in this situation two months ago but we are where we are.

They showed at Celtic Park they can work off a shape and if Mitov has a good day, we have something to work from.

Cantwell and Dowell confirmed to be out for the next ~4 weeks, which probably means 7 or 8 given our recent injury history.

On the plus side Beale has said Lawrence and Roofe are now fully fit which will hopefully improve our depth a bit. Expect to see quite a few changes tomorrow.

Was thinking we’ve got a decent enough record against Rangers since they made it out of the seaside leagues, and that I always feel we have a result in us when we play them. This made for a bit of a depressing time looking back at the head-to-head as every memorable win or draw is sandwiched between several listless 3-0 defeats - but anyway here is that record since 2016:

Wins: 3
Draws: 5
Losses: 16

Scored: 16
Conceded: 52

For comparison our record against Celtic over that same period is staggeringly bad.. 

Wins: 0
Draws: 4
Losses: 23

Scored: 12
Conceded: 78

Kane up top and Max in from the start for me please. 

3 hours ago, AJF said:

Cantwell and Dowell confirmed to be out for the next ~4 weeks, which probably means 7 or 8 given our recent injury history.

On the plus side Beale has said Lawrence and Roofe are now fully fit which will hopefully improve our depth a bit. Expect to see quite a few changes tomorrow.

None of those players matter, just let me know that Barisic is out injured and youve no other non-scoring Eastern European full backs to come in, and ill be happy.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

None of those players matter, just let me know that Barisic is out injured and youve no other non-scoring Eastern European full backs to come in, and ill be happy.

I’m hoping he channels his inner-Papac tomorrow 

3 hours ago, AJF said:

I’m hoping he channels his inner-Papac tomorrow 

Genuinely think we might be the only side Barasic has more than 1 goal against, at least domestically. Genuinely cant even remember him scoring against anyone else recently. Its uncanny.

Presumably Yilmaz is his replacement? NAP he played 200 games and only scores 3 goals, all at McDiarmid.