Standard of refereeing - All time low?

lwh

Genuinely curious to hear from other teams but it feels like the standard of officiating is so so poor at the minute. 3 or 4 genuinely horrendous displays already this season and not just with big decisions, they seem consistently inept

Refs have got plenty wrong in our favour this season too. The Bonnyrigg game was the worst one I’ve seen. All the big calls correct but every 50/50 decision, throw in, free kick in the middle of the park was called the wrong way. Twice against Stenny they had a counter stopped to give them a nothing free kick. Like I say consistent ineptitude 

Spoke to a Bonnyrigg supporter after the game and we both agreed todays ref was terrible for both teams, he was convinced that he was going to nook their player for fiving but they got the pen & think Rory went looking for ours so cancelled each other out. The actual goal we scored was a beut & a worthy winner.

14 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Team lose =ref bad

Team win = ref good 

Is the norm for football fans 

Asking the question to see if it’s a more widespread thing and prompt genuine discussion rather than sour grapes

I don’t like having a pop at referees but I think the standard at this level these days is absolutely horrendous. There is nae denying it’s a tough job and they aren’t robots who get every decision correct but since the introduction of VAR we have been left with the dregs at this level. 

3 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I don’t like having a pop at referees but I think the standard at this level these days is absolutely horrendous. There is nae denying it’s a tough job and they aren’t robots who get every decision correct but since the introduction of VAR we have been left with the dregs at this level. 

My feeling too. VAR means more refs being used at top level and we’re left with the ones that are rushed through and aren’t anywhere near good enough 

3 hours ago, lwh said:

My feeling too. VAR means more refs being used at top level and we’re left with the ones that are rushed through and aren’t anywhere near good enough 

Why don’t u go ahead and take a refs course with your local association. Show everyone how it’s done? There’s a huge shortage at all grass roots levels so another one would be a big help. 
Then you can come in and criticise when u actually understand the laws that the refs are trying to enforce! 

8 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

Why don’t u go ahead and take a refs course with your local association. Show everyone how it’s done? There’s a huge shortage at all grass roots levels so another one would be a big help. 
Then you can come in and criticise when u actually understand the laws that the refs are trying to enforce! 

Already work in football doing other things so afraid I can’t. I’m highlighting a problem that needs addressing, if there’s a shortage then VAR can’t exist 

Just now, lwh said:

Already work in football doing other things so afraid I can’t. I’m highlighting a problem that needs addressing, if there’s a shortage then VAR can’t exist 

Oh and I am a qualified referee 

The referees at this level have always been poor, it isn’t anything new.

If we had won today, there is no way you would have made this thread, nor would you have said the ref was having a shocker or that he had lost the plot on the club’s Twitter. Comments like that on official club accounts every week aren’t exactly going to help any matters. If anything, it will get the club into bother.

2 minutes ago, fafc1885 said:

The referees at this level have always been poor, it isn’t anything new.

If we had won today, there is no way you would have made this thread, nor would you have said the ref was having a shocker or that he had lost the plot on the club’s Twitter. Comments like that on official club accounts every week aren’t exactly going to help any matters. If anything, it will get the club into bother.

Like I said, has nothing to do with results, we won against Montrose ans the refereee was terrible. I was wrong about the penalty, but the referees overall performance was extremely poor and I feel as though that should be called out, just as I am regularly on here for my Twitter posts

5 minutes ago, lwh said:

Like I said, has nothing to do with results, we won against Montrose ans the refereee was terrible. I was wrong about the penalty, but the referees overall performance was extremely poor and I feel as though that should be called out, just as I am regularly on here for my Twitter posts

So the referee who had one view got a decision that you now, presumably after watching countless replays, agree was correct and it's the refereeing standard that's poor? Ok.