Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic -vs- Stenhousemuir (Saturday 23 September 2023)

This is the big one: a top-of-the-table clash in Midlothian between Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic and Stenhousemuir! H*ck yes!

I'm really excited for the weekend's match - how could you not be after watching your team win 5-0 last time out? - and I hope we can build on it and take that spirit into this encounter. I also hope we can continue our good form at New Dundas Park, a ground we won at twice last season. Will the match be any good? Probably not - the games between Bonnyrigg and Stenny were mostly brutal, listless affairs, and I'd expect this to be the same. The ball will spend more time in the air than on the ground and set-pieces, territory and percentages will be vital for both sides.

I've been surprised with the Rose this season. I wasn't too impressed with their transfer business (I thought they held onto too many of the cloggers that stunk out the joint last term) but the team looks better, fitter and more equipped for the year ahead. Signing up Paddy Martin on a permanent basis was tremendous and Smart Osadolor has proven to be a good signing, while Josh Grigor continues to improve at the back. Robbie Horn seems like a good egg and I'm pleased to see him doing well. We'll be in for a game, that's for sure.

Stenhousemuir should stick with the same XI that demolished Stranraer on Saturday. Everyone played to a good standard and the confidence must be high; it would be daft to break it up. Nicky Jamieson will be available after completing his suspension but Edin Lynch deserves to continue at centre-back. He did well against Stranraer and should keep his place for the time being. My only concern (and this is something Gary Naysmith picked up on in his post-match interview) is Ross Taylor's discipline - he can be a little reckless and that needs to be curbed because it could cost us. I wonder if the former Edinburgh City midfielder we have on trial will be brought into the fold for this one?

Nevertheless, let's go with:

- Matty Aitken -

- Adam Brown - Matty Yates - Ross Taylor -

- Mikey Anderson - Nat Wedderburn -

- Kinlay Bilham - Edin Lynch - Gregor Buchanan - Ross Meechan -

- Darren Jamieson -

I'm expecting a very difficult match here but we're better now than we were last season and with players like Darren Jamieson, Buchanan and Meechan, we have players with the fortitude to stand up to Bonnyrigg's big lads. Whatever the outcome, it'll be a hard-won affair. I'm looking forward to it.

Couple of us looking for a game to go to on Saturday, were thinking of a SC tie, but may head along here instead with it being an early top of the table clash. L2 already looking very open and exciting this season.

Actually went to this same fixture last season for my first visit to New Dundas Park. On the pitch, it was horrendous - a truly awful game of football. Think Yates (if I have the right guy) scored a deflected winner for Steni. Still enjoyed the visit though and there was a great crowd. Hoping for similar.

Yes, that was a stinking game of football between two poor teams, briefly lit up by a mishit cross. I'm surprised you're keen to return!

The only time we've looked reasonably handy against Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic was the first meeting between the sides where we played very well in the first half and scored twice. The other three-and-a-half matches have been absolute toot.

1 hour ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Yes, that was a stinking game of football between two poor teams, briefly lit up by a mishit cross. I'msurprised you're keen to return!

The only time we've looked reasonably handy against Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic was the first meeting between the sides where we played very well in the first half and scored twice. The other three-and-a-half matches have been absolute toot.

Bullen-ball will have that effect on a person.

Both seem to be going well and from watching recent highlights it's shaping up for a good match up. Cue the inevitable 0-0. 

It's got the makings of a great game.

Bonnyrigg have scored in every league game, averaging 2 goals per game. Stenny averaging 1.6 goals per game. Bonnyrigg average 47.8% possession per game and Stenny 45.3%. Stenny average 4.6 shots on target and Bonnyrigg 3.83.

But it'll probably end up with the ball in the air often and as folk have said, finish 0-0. 

Was a typical game of puntball at Bonnyrigg, but a cracking header from Edin Lynch was the difference.

Despite the tight score line It was a relatively anxious free afternoon. The keeper and back line dealt with everything that was thrown at them. It was no nonsense defending. Michael Anderson was outstanding this afternoon.

As usual, the squad depth is the only negative. Taylor went down clutching his shoulder. It didn’t look good. We can’t really continue with such a small squad.

As for Bonnyrigg it is apparent why they have such a large squad. They will need it for all the suspensions that will follow. Stranraer couldn’t handle Ross Taylor last week, but Bonnyrigg knew how to do it.

12 hours ago, Beachcomber said:

No penalties for Bonnyrigg...makes a change !

And to be honest that's about the only avenue they would have scored from. Plenty of endeavour but a painful side to watch.

Big Faye must be up there as one of the worst players I've ever seen at this level. That one first half where he blootered it up the line to nobody was particularly funny.

It's never a game of football over there. You just have to win the battle and move on. We've done that every time now since they came into the league so long may that continue. I have a lot of time for them as a football club off the park but on it is just a chore to watch.

As for us huge props to the lads. Again we run with 14 players but every one of them is adding value to the team. 13 halves of football out of 14 with no goals conceded is absolutely wild and long may that continue. 

Nicky Jamieson was obviously man of the match but again Bucky strolled it and DJ just looks so assured in everything he does. I think Ross Meechan deserves a shout though. He's never man of the match but he's just consistently solid and streetwise and everything you want from a full back at this level. 

There's a feeling we can do something this year and if we add two or three next week that would certainly help. Ross Taylor will be out for a period of time which is going to be a major blow but we will just have to soldier on in the meantime.

Aye, Neilly's summed it up well. It was a terrible game of football - the ball must have spent as much time up in the air as it did on the deck - but you know what you're going to get when you're taking on Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic at New Dundas Park. They're a tough side and you're in for a horrid 90 minutes but if you're prepared to dig in, fight and battle, you give yourself a chance. There's a lot of character in this team and they showed the resilience and robustness to get the job done.

Our best players were our goalkeeper and back four. Darren Jamieson took a couple of set-pieces superbly and that confidence and that aura spreads throughout the team and into the stands. Nicky Jamieson was my man of the match, with Zander Murray and Alieu Faye barely getting close to him, while Gregor Buchanan dealt with everything that came his way. Ross Meechan had his strongest game since returning to the club and Edin Lynch deserves a special mention - his goal, a thumping header from an Adam Brown corner, was the only real moment of quality and ultimately proved decisive. I don't particularly rate him but there's something endearing about Lynch and he's done us a decent turn whenever he's featured. Everyone else dug in and did what was required of them. I don't think anyone necessarily played well but they all made sure we got the win.

It's probably worth noting that we might have had a couple of refereeing decisions go in our favour. In his post-match interview, Gary Naysmith didn't think we should have been awarded the corner from which we scored, and Bonnyrigg might have won a penalty kick at the death when Dean Watson was fouled; Watson may or may not have been inside the box when Nicky Jamieson had a nibble at him. A couple of people associated with the home side - both of whom are deeply bald - seemed unhappy at the end - one director shouted at his counterparts across the walkway to the changing rooms, while a Bonnyrigg player entered the away dressing room to complain about the loud music.

Bonnyrigg are a better team than they were 12 months ago and they look fitter and more mobile but, based on yesterday's game, I'm surprised they've started the season as well as they have. it's not a lot of fun to watch. Faye was especially poor and might be the worst player I've seen at this level for some time. He reminds me of El Gigante from WCW - an attraction who simply cannot work. He should have been substituted long before the 77th minute.

Nevertheless, we're sitting at the top of the table and we've kept six clean sheers in seven matches, an impressive return. There's a good feeling around the team at the moment - the players' reactions coming off the pitch at the end showed how much the win meant to them - and I hope we can keep it going. We're playing two of the "easier" teams in the division next but we cannot take anything for granted. Ross Taylor's probably missing until November and that'll stretch our small squad. But hey! Let's enjoy ourselves for the time being.

Thought it was odd that Naysmith mentioned the corner decision. Stood six feet away behind the goal, there was no doubt it came off the Bonnyrigg defenders head. The Bonnyrigg assistant manager took to Twitter late on Saturday night to have a go at the referee and in particular the “corner kick” decision. I couldn’t find any tweets mentioning the inadequacies of his own team, and his strike force in particular.

I've just watched back the match highlights and the referee was right not to award Bonnyrigg Rose a penalty at the death. Dean Watson was just on the edge of the box when Nicky Jamieson fouled him. It's tight, and I can understand why the home support were unhappy with the decision, but it's the correct one!

Well it’s derby day for the Rose. The shortest away trip of the season to Ainslie Park. Always been a tight games with Spartans over the last few seasons, I see it no differently today . 3pts would be massive today after defeats in our last 2 games. Probably have the new faces up front today after the departures of this week. Hope it stays dry for the game.

C’mon The Rose 🌹🌹🌹