Livi v Motherwell - 07/10/23

There is a ‘typical Motherwell’ feeling about playing really well in three straight games and getting beat and having the feeling that if you play like that for the fourth game in a row you’ll very likely win…….and then don’t really turn up, get reduced to 10 men and give away a penalty.

That is that then. Even when 11 v 11 we did not look that threatening. Sure Bair is a handful and can look decent at times but it is clearly not working in terms of us creating real goalscoring opportunities up front. 

A good start is becoming a very average start. 

Hopefully get Butcher and Biereth back after the break. We need to reset and kick on v St Johnstone and County. 

Coming back from international duty and losing every game before the next run of international fixtures is a shite run regardless of performance by anyone’s expectation. Not too many would have predicted that even with the Glasgow lot included in the run. Unlucky at times for sure but today is a bit more self inflicted.

1 minute ago, Phillips455 said:

This second half has been Alexander levels of terrible.we go down to ten men and they have all gave up. 

Funny, I was looking at the second half thinking if you were watching it without context you could be forgiven for thinking the team were looking for a new gaffer.

I don’t think it is that for a second though. We’ve just been utter garbage.

Worst I've saw us this season. Too many off it and giving up. 

Whilst the 1st goal was a dubious freekick, the 2 penalties are utter stupidity. (I may have switched my stream off as soon as the pen was given, so in my mind still pen) 😅

Hopefully the international break see's Bair retreat to late chaos if needed and Butcher in to lead the defence as soon as we can get him match fit. 

Edited by 21maxwell

Well that was a shambles all around. Regardless of the decisions made by the ref, it was all our own fault I'm the end.

Red Card - don't think it I'd one from initial viewing but ot is by the letter of the law. Why we didn't make a change at half time to resolve the obvious pase issues I will never know.

First goal. Sure it was never a free kick. But it was a free kick at their box and they would have gotten possession anyway. We completely stepped off them and just allowed it in. Something that repeated throughout the second half.

Penalty - A Mugabi moment. The less said the better.

Second penatly - luckily ut was outside the Bix but again, no desire to tackle, stop the attack and then just blindly holding the person/fouling them.

Attack - everytime we got the ball into a good area, no one shoots. It's pass, pass, hold, hold, hold, hold, lose the ball and repeat. Also fore whoever is training the team on corners and free kicks. It's self sabotage at this point.

Livi came out to win, we came out as training dummys.

Alot to think about but I think that the first absolutely terrible performance I've seen since Kettlewell joined. How he handles this against St Johnstone after the break will be a true test.

Shite. Absolutely no threat today.

Harsh red for Miller but I don't think we were up to much anyway.

Martindale got his tactics right with a back 3 and spreading them out to maintain possession. The risk of leaving Bair 1v1 in the middle was not really a risk at all.

Spencer looked very uncomfortable on the park. Mugabi with a mistake when he has been rock solid. 4 losses in a row, not great. A couple of tough ones in there but still.

Not seen replays on telly or anywhere, but from in the stand it looked a stonewaller sending off for fouling us going through on goal. Same for the penalty. Ande the 2nd pen that was changed to a foul outside the box looked well inside, thought there must've been a previous foul before the penalty that VAR noticed in their check.

Holt's cynical foul for his booking lead to some Motherwell players losing the plot, think it was Wilkinson who got booked for simulation later on that grabbed Holt by the throat and didn't get a yellow let alone a red, then Casey got booked instead.

Good play from MacKay hitting the byeline to cross it for Bruce to score, and a well taken pen by Kelly, pity we didn't get a 3rd to tie Motherwell's GD but good solid game management seeing it out comfortably.

That win really lifts spirits and has us moving away from the cluster down the bottom, things are looking a good bit brighter now, with us having played the erse cheeks and have games against team we can take pts from.

1 hour ago, thisGRAEME said:

So Wilkinson wasn't booked for grabbing hold of Holt, but someone else was?! 

A shit show from us, that. 

Not going might have been the smartest choice I've ever made.

Is Wilkinson temperament suspect, fair enough he got hacked down but we were down to 10 men and chasing the game but he wanted to fight.