Aberdeen v st Johnstone

Just now, Widge said:

The implication of the word "cost" is that it's made a mistake. In this match there was zero errors with the system and therefore the result was the correct one based on the application of the games rules.

So yeah, VAR didn't cost Aberdeen anything in the match. 

You beat me to it 😂

6 minutes ago, Widge said:

The implication of the word "cost" is that it's made a mistake. No it's not. In this match there was zero errors with the system and therefore the result was the correct one based on the application of the games rules. Yep

So yeah, VAR didn't cost Aberdeen anything in the match. It did. It chopped off a goal. 

5 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

The player standing in an offside position "cost" Aberdeen the goal. Yes. Not mutually exclusive. 

Having a goal disallowed is quite clearly a disbenefit, aka "a cost". 

We are in a worse position than we would have been had it not been disallowed. 

The Goal was disallowed by the VAR system. It was correctly disallowed. But it was disallowed by VAR. 

Had there not been VAR, the goal which was awarded and not flagged as offside would have stood. 

VAR has therefore cost us. 

Dur

15 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Having a goal disallowed is quite clearly a disbenefit, aka "a cost". 

We are in a worse position than we would have been had it not been disallowed. 

The Goal was disallowed by the VAR system. It was correctly disallowed. But it was disallowed by VAR. 

Had there not been VAR, the goal which was awarded and not flagged as offside would have stood. 

VAR has therefore cost us. 

Dur

I love it when football banter turns all semantic.

31 minutes ago, coprolite said:

If VAR wasnt there the pitchside linesman wouldve flagged offside. Theyre told to let tight calls go now because they know VAR can double check.

26 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

If VAR wasnt there the pitchside linesman wouldve flagged offside. Theyre told to let tight calls go now because they know VAR can double check.

You can’t prove that. You’d be relying on the assumption that said lino would have seen and correctly called it. Seems improbable. But it’s a fair point.

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

This isn't true. The assistant is told to wait until play has concluded and then raise their flag. So if the assistant thought it was offside then they would have put their flag up after the ball went into the net.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

This isn't true. The assistant is told to wait until play has concluded and then raise their flag. So if the assistant thought it was offside then they would have put their flag up after the ball went into the net.

Correct! Lino gave the goal, thankfully var did it’s job correctly 

My phone flashed up 1-0 then didn't update when it was disallowed. I was in a right proper mood until I got home and discovered we got the draw. Happy with that (would have taken it beforehand etc, etc....) but we need to start winning matches. Obvious I suppose. 

There seems to be more positive comments here though. Have we turned a wee corner or too early to say? 

11 minutes ago, Trackdaybob said:

My phone flashed up 1-0 then didn't update when it was disallowed. I was in a right proper mood until I got home and discovered we got the draw. Happy with that (would have taken it beforehand etc, etc....) but we need to start winning matches. Obvious I suppose. 

There seems to be more positive comments here though. Have we turned a wee corner or too early to say? 

Never ever looked like scoring a goal.

Bottom 2, at best, for that reason 

11 minutes ago, Trackdaybob said:

If we can get Clarke and/or Kane fit, that would be a massive help. Also try someone other than Carey on the left.  Wasn't Costello meant to be more a left winger than right? Or may try Turner-Cooke.  I'd even rather try Stevie May there than Carey tbh.

6 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Never ever looked like scoring a goal.

Bottom 2, at best, for that reason 

Thank f**k you pointed that out, i thought we were some goalscoring maestros destined for Europe. How disappointing.