Kevin Keegan doesn't like women presenters commenting on men's football

On 16/10/2023 at 16:20, Savage Henry said:

I’ve read at least two posts espousing the qualities of Leanne Crichton.   I think the judging criteria needs clarification, because she’s absolutely lacking in any insight whatsoever.  She just tells us what we’ve just seen. 

Sends me diving for the mute button simply because she's incapable of stringing two words together without a "you know" in between, and also one of the worst examples of the nasal "DEFINIAAAAAATEEELAY" weeg/west coast accents I can think of. Absolute nails down a board listening to her.

It's pointless having a pundit that knows what they are talking about if their actual voice itself is utterly torturous to listen to.

27 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Sends me diving for the mute button simply because she's incapable of stringing two words together without a "you know" in between, and also one of the worst examples of the nasal "DEFINIAAAAAATEEELAY" weeg/west coast accents I can think of. Absolute nails down a board listening to her.

It's pointless having a pundit that knows what they are talking about if their actual voice itself is utterly torturous to listen to.

If we're going to rid Scottish broadcasting of people with irritating west coast accents (and I'm not saying we definitely shouldn't) then that's going to be a massive project

5 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Very valid Points but we do seem to have drifted from the matter in hand, which is football commentary 

It's in keeping with the broader point which is women in traditionally male spaces. Inclusion is treated always as a blanket good thing, while exclusion is treated as the opposite. Neither have inherent value and that point has been forgotten in a rush to condemn those who critique either.

Anyway, Keegan said he didn't think women's footballing experiences were transferable to the male sport and because of this he feels that their analysis has less value.

I don't know if I agree with that but I'd welcome a discussion rather than the "Keegan is a sexist" outrage-bait shite to which we've been subjected.

I do know that Robbie Savage shouldn't be commentating on the champion's league as he's been nowhere near that level as a player or coach, so it doesn't seem unfair to have the criteria gender blind.

26 minutes ago, velo army said:

It's in keeping with the broader point which is women in traditionally male spaces. Inclusion is treated always as a blanket good thing, while exclusion is treated as the opposite. Neither have inherent value and that point has been forgotten in a rush to condemn those who critique either.

Anyway, Keegan said he didn't think women's footballing experiences were transferable to the male sport and because of this he feels that their analysis has less value.

I don't know if I agree with that but I'd welcome a discussion rather than the "Keegan is a sexist" outrage-bait shite to which we've been subjected.

I do know that Robbie Savage shouldn't be commentating on the champion's league as he's been nowhere near that level as a player or coach, so it doesn't seem unfair to have the criteria gender blind.

Which returns us to the "Do you really need to have played at that level to talk about it sensibly?" question

I agree regarding female commentators for mens games, I'm not sure I'm a fan tbh. It's nothing at all to do with commentary ability or a lack of passion, it's just that I prefer to hear a blokes voice on commentary. Why this is I do not know. Maybe I just want to hear that deep, manly voice when someone scores a dramatic last minute winner #nohomo. Take Aguero's title winning goal for example, Martin Tylers commentary is a huge part of what makes this moment iconic. Would it have been as iconic had it been a female commentator instead? 

Female pundits on the other hand, no issue with that whatsoever. As others have pointed out there are plenty of male pundits who are complete wallopers and shouldn't be anywhere near punditry teams but there are plenty of female pundits who are very good at what they do. As long as a pundit knows their stuff and is able to put their points across in an eloquent way then I don't care what sex they are.

2 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Which returns us to the "Do you really need to have played at that level to talk about it sensibly?" question

The qualifier here is "sensibly". Keegan was saying he has no problem with female commentators per se, but only when they start to talk about the men's game as if it is a facsimile of the women's game. 

Even people on here can talk sensibly about the game, but it would probably be preferable to have people on who can talk well about the game and have played to that level. Having Mark Bright or Robbie Savage on to talk us through games at a major championships is ludicrous.