Morning Kick-offs

Central Belt Caley

Was watching the Beckham documentary the other night and it was mentioned a Liverpool v Man United game was kicking off at 11:15. 

Got me thinking that I’ve never heard of any Scottish games starting before midday, all the early kick-offs start 12-12:30 usually. Wouldn’t even know where to begin to look to find out the answer but were morning ko’s common and when was the last one? (in the professional leagues at least)

10 hours ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Got me thinking that I’ve never heard of any Scottish games starting before midday, all the early kick-offs start 12-12:30 usually. Wouldn’t even know where to begin to look to find out the answer but were morning ko’s common and when was the last one? (in the professional leagues at least)

9 hours ago, Autistisches Nilpferd said:

The first match of the Groundhopping Saturday is 11am. Not sure if there's been any other games in the morning for TV or light reasons

Back around 2010 a Leith v Peebles game was 10:30am so players could get to Hampden (most others were Fri/Sun).

I understand back-in-the-day Hearts and Hibs sometimes staggered holiday games, in the hope fans would attend both, but not sure if would be as early as pre-midday... LondonHearts claims:

image.png.cfa703a4dc6c50685a23f0cb367924c6.png

image.png.83c210bf65c80e21a8b31441ae130d38.png

image.png.63a53552e68ff56efc2f82603551dd99.png

Other than for freak reason I doubt any 'first class' game has begun before 12noon here.

Edited by HibeeJibee

3 hours ago, perthmo said:

Alloa v Cowdenbeath on Christmas Day 1976, a Division 2 fixture, kicked off at 11am.

What about Clydebank v St Mirren that day? Programme doesn't say; month is not in Google archive Glasgow Herald.

All the Christmas Day games in 1971 were 2pm or 3pm.

I wondered about 2012 Olympics as there were double-headers at Hampden but earliest kickoff was 12noon.

• 1 month later...

I had it in my head that in the 2008/09 Scottish Cup that Ayr had an unusual early kickoff against Lochee United due to a couple of postponements and Lochee not having floodlights to do later kickoffs

The time wasn't unusually early as it was at 1345, but it was unusual to be on a Wednesday afternoon, obviously owing to the short time available to squeeze in a replay if needed (which Lochee earned with a 1-1 draw)

• 1 month later...

Not actual morning kickoffs but some rare occurrences of weekday afternoon games (not on public holidays) next week:

Wed 27th Dec      Kilsyth Rangers v Dalry Thistle (2pm)               friendly
Thu 28th Dec        Luncarty v Couper Angus (12:15pm)                 friendly
Fri 29th Dec          Lesmahagow v Kilsyth Rangers (1:30pm)     WOSL Fourth Division
                                      think this is first competitive senior game on a weekday afternoon - at least in regular circumstances e.g. with crowds - since Hamilton v Aberdeen some years ago?

No doubt most players are off their work for the festive period anyway.

1 minute ago, parsforlife said:

I’d highly doubt that tbh,  there’s a very wide range of industries that can’t just stop work for a week.

Well they've arranged the friendlies plus rescheduled the league game from the Saturday, and presumably wouldn't have done so if many players were unavailable?

• 3 weeks later...

Edinburgh City got given the Sunday morning fixture of Dalbeattie away with an 11 am kick off during a groundhop weekend.

Considering the long journey and early kick off we played fairly well but couldn't score and Star won 1-0. I'm just bitter about it because we were unbeaten up to that point 

18 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Edinburgh City got given the Sunday morning fixture of Dalbeattie away with an 11 am kick off during a groundhop weekend.

Considering the long journey and early kick off we played fairly well but couldn't score and Star won 1-0. I'm just bitter about it because we were unbeaten up to that point 

Sorry to burst this popular anecdote of yours TtB but kickoff was 12 noon.

2 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Sorry to burst this popular anecdote of yours TtB but kickoff was 12 noon.

It was still a bugger though. Edin Uni had a leisurely stroll down to Threave that day for a later kick off....

On 14/01/2024 at 03:35, tamthebam said:

It was still a bugger though. Edin Uni had a leisurely stroll down to Threave that day for a later kick off....

You just remember eating your first of many pies at 11am, thinking 'this is early'

On 23/12/2023 at 20:14, HibeeJibee said:

Not actual morning kickoffs but some rare occurrences of weekday afternoon games (not on public holidays) next week:

Wed 27th Dec      Kilsyth Rangers v Dalry Thistle (2pm)               friendly
Thu 28th Dec        Luncarty v Couper Angus (12:15pm)                 friendly
Fri 29th Dec          Lesmahagow v Kilsyth Rangers (1:30pm)     WOSL Fourth Division
                                      think this is first competitive senior game on a weekday afternoon - at least in regular circumstances e.g. with crowds - since Hamilton v Aberdeen some years ago?

No doubt most players are off their work for the festive period anyway.

Hamilton vs Inverness was a Wednesday 3pm kick-off in 2015 I think?

1,555 in attendance.